GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

ScottyBowman said:
I did a little calculation and came up with 20 cups for the 2002 team and 14 cups for the 2006 team.

I didn't count the 2002 cup that Yzerman/Shanny won or the 2003 cup Brodeur won etc.. in my calculations for 2002.

The 2002 team was full of experience and winners, no doubt about that.

And even the guys on the 2002 team who had no Cups (Kariya, Lindros, Nolan, Peca), well I would trust them much more than I would trust guys like Nash, Heatley, Bertuzzi, and Doan. I would even trust a guy like Kariya ahead of guys like Lecavalier or St.Louis.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
thebodyczech said:
I saw some comments regarding one-sided refereeing (in favor of Canada). Well, let's ponder this: maybe the Canadians wouldn't get called if (1) they kept their feet moving and (2) didn't have such an urge to hold and hook.

Just an observation. Smart hockey will always beat sheer talent. The Finns and the Swiss have shown it. Time for Canada to wisen up.

I still don't see a real need to blame Gretzky here for the team selection, though. I will, however, admit that Pat Quinn needs to be replaced. Pronto. He's making Frantisek Hossa look good.

Very well stated. :clap: Especially the part about smart hockey. I think it was even Quinn who quipped after the Swiss game that the individual effort on this team is not a concern, it's the totality of the team effort that is not there.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Game was excellent, really thrilling.

Looking at Canada, I got the feeling that they aren't clicking yet. That's why they've been shuout twice in a row now.

either they play the defence and goal open, but then they don't get the final pass in for a goal scoring shot.
Or they get the pass in, but make an unsuccessful shot. Either by shooting into defenders, the post, straight at the goalie or above/past the goal.

It's that last ingredient that they're missing currently, but when they find it they'l be back to normal. There's nothing wrong with their game per sê.. it's just missing that primary assist.

Niittymäki was excellent, gave up rebounds but they were all controlled. Every rebound, the first player to it was a Finn. He was calm and patient.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
In 2002 the prelim game against the Czechs was seen as a turning point. We rallied for the tie and used that as a confidence builder (this was also after Martin Rucinsky blabbed to the press that the Czechs weren't concerned about the Canadians).

I will never give up hope!

However, on that note I'll say good game Finland - you did what you needed to win. Good luck with the rest of the tournament, and I hope we meet again!

shawn_kemp*

wow, this thread ended up with less than 1,000 posts unlike the Switzerland game!

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
#37 said:
Watch a few games, look at their PIMs.

I was actually surprised to see Crosby and Savard tied with 80 PIM's each. I know Savard is undisciplined, I watch every ATL game I can. I have seen maybe 12 or so Pens games and Crosby likes to talk to the refs so much, they had to give him an "A" so he wouldn't get in trouble. That kid has spent 4 games worth of ice time in the sin-bin. Mario needs to spank him, put him on restriction, and cut his allowance or something...
You can't go by that. The situation in Pittsburgh is unique and very frustrating.Most of the penalties he has taken the game was out of reach anyways.For a while there he did take some penalties when it could have mattered but even some of them were very bogus calls by the ref(not all but some).

In tournaments where it mattered such as WJC,President's Trophy,Memorial Cup,Sidney has shown alot of discipline.Remember the WJC.It was his teammates taking the penalties all the time and he was getting little icetime because Bergeron his linemate was pk'ing all the time and so then the line had to rest an extra shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->