Fans raise money to put up anti-Garth billboard outside Barclays

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
If the players actually want him here it’s because he doesn’t hold anyone accountable. It’s like a class of 8th graders taking advantage of the clueless substitute teacher.

Reactions: MattBarzal

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
You had me going for a bit. Now I know you're just messing around.

trading up to get Barzal when the rest of the GM's were pretty clueless counts for ALOT, and double that since it was Reinhart who was what we gave up, Strome for Eberle, letting go of Okposo, Nielsen and Moulson who are turning into duds.

yup, I am guessing alot of teams would love to have Snow as their guy, as said the Islanders have other "issues" they have to deal with that is out of the GM's control, isn't it a surprise basically every GM the Islanders had since Torrey seems to be the worst GM ever?

C24

Jan 25, 2018
trading up to get Barzal when the rest of the GM's were pretty clueless counts for ALOT, and double that since it was Reinhart who was what we gave up, Strome for Eberle, letting go of Okposo, Nielsen and Moulson who are turning into duds.

yup, I am guessing alot of teams would love to have Snow as their guy, as said the Islanders have other "issues" they have to deal with that is out of the GM's control, isn't it a surprise basically every GM the Islanders had since Torrey seems to be the worst GM ever?
Who drafted Reinhart?

Reactions: Macch

C24

Jan 25, 2018

Which issues are out of his control?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He's made good moves, and early in his tenure he had dealt with some pretty rough conditions, but he hasn't had those issues lately and the team is close to missing the playoffs for two years in a row...even with all those good moves. Where are the moves that put this team over the top?

Reactions: LeapOnOver

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He's made good moves, and early in his tenure he had dealt with some pretty rough conditions, but he hasn't had those issues lately and the team is close to missing the playoffs for two years in a row...even with all those good moves. Where are the moves that put this team over the top?
I think it's time for him to go, it's just reached point that it's time for someone else. If they sign JT he left us in decent shape with a very good top 6 forward group , a decent top 4 D and draft capital in 2018 for a new guy to find a goalie another couple D and reshape the bottom six forwards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think it's time for him to go, it's just reached point that it's time for someone else. If they sign JT he left us in decent shape with a very good top 6 forward group , a decent top 4 D and draft capital in 2018 for a new guy to find a goalie another couple D and reshape the bottom six forwards.

I agree it's past time, but I just don't see it happening unless Tavares walks. If he doesn't walk, we'll see Snow for another year at least. If he does walk, I imagine Ledecky/Malkin will have no choice but to relieve him (or us:laugh:).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They aren't close to missing the playoff, they are deader than a doornail. 5 points behind WC#2 who just happen to be a way better team who are in that position because of an insane number of injuries. It would take a complete act of God for them to make it. And people say Garth has made "good moves" which is to say ripping off Chiarelli. Well he's not the only GM to do that, Ray Shero did that in stealing Hall. And what has he done with his Chiarelli gift? Why he built a playoff team out of what 2 years ago was one of the dumpster fires of the league. What has Garth done with his Chiarelli gifts? Fail spectacularly.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

You sound like me two seasons ago, but in the current economic climate and condition of this team he is failing miserably. There is no justifying missing the playoffs this season unless you think Calvin de Haan is an all-star defenseman. Okposo isn't a dud and his contract is at the least equally bad as Ladd's (I think his contract is better because Okposo is better and younger). Letting both Nielsen and Okposo walk was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Both draft picks you spend time and effort developing and they turn into top 6 forwards, and you let them walk. Reminded me stingingly of when they traded Palffy because they knew they wouldn't pay him. Then signing Ladd, which I postponed my anger over due to other posters convincing me it was a good signing. Lastly making an inexperienced unproven guy the coach in Weight. This was a season where it seemed the roster had improved getting Eberle. So Snow immediately cancels out a great trade and the emergence of a draft pick that was another great trade by hamstringing this team with dead weight as a coach.

This lighthouse hockey article says it best: Islanders at the Trade Deadline: As you were

Basically Snow stops short at taking a lead in the race and feels confident when he can keep even with other teams. Time to bring in a GM who isn't satisfied with keeping even. Snow is quoted as knowing that this team is mediocre right now, but always falls back on the fact when they are all playing to potential they can beat any team. Give me a break, at least bring in a coach that will have them play to their potential every night and not be asleep for the first 4o minutes of every game.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Ok those were a few good moves in 12 years. Where are we now?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

We'll probably never agree on this point, but if you had to fire snow for one reason that reason has zero to do with "rough conditions:"

Drafting

You simply will not win a Cup unless you hit on your high picks. Three years in a row snow had a top-5 draft pick and took:

2010 - Nino Niederreiter
2011 - Ryan Strome
2012 - Griffin Reinhart

This is a colossal failure of drafting, and even exasperating the point of snow's ineptitude - He put his ego first and traded a great prospect in Nino because snow is going to position himself as the most powerful guy in the organization and anyone who questions him will be gone.

These issues have zero to do with wang or outside circumstances other than what goes on between snow's ears.

Reactions: 12Dog

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We'll probably never agree on this point, but if you had to fire snow for one reason that reason has zero to do with "rough conditions:"

Drafting

You simply will not win a Cup unless you hit on your high picks. Three years in a row snow had a top-5 draft pick and took:

2010 - Nino Niederreiter
2011 - Ryan Strome
2012 - Griffin Reinhart

This is a colossal failure of drafting, and even exasperating the point of snow's ineptitude - He put his ego first and traded a great prospect in Nino because snow is going to position himself as the most powerful guy in the organization and anyone who questions him will be gone.

These issues have zero to do with wang or outside circumstances other than what goes on between snow's ears.

You're right that you can't miss as frequently as he has. The rough conditions just can't be ignored for the first half of his tenure. Having to spend BELOW the cap minimum is insane and no GM would ice a winner doing that.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The draft is a not as easy as it looks for all you brilliant people out there. Most would have picked him smart guy.

https://thehockeywriters.com/griffin-reinhart-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Yes most might have picked him...except the "most" you're referring to aren't NHL GM's and it's Snow's job to make the right call. Hell if his only role during the draft is to draft the players that most people would take...you or I could do that job easily. His job is to draft the best player in that situation...and quite frankly his track record is shaky at best.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You're right that you can't miss as frequently as he has. The rough conditions just can't be ignored for the first half of his tenure. Having to spend BELOW the cap minimum is insane and no GM would ice a winner doing that.

But we have to stop even having the debate about having to spend below the cap minimum. It's true, but not relevant. It's like the real issue is discussing a surgeon constantly letting his patients bleed out, but constantly bringing up that the hospital is dirty.

You agree that snow should be fired. The reasons for that have zero to do with the cap floor so why are we still discussing that?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But we have to stop even having the debate about having to spend below the cap minimum. It's true, but not relevant. It's like the real issue is discussing a surgeon constantly letting his patients bleed out, but constantly bringing up that the hospital is dirty.

You agree that snow should be fired. The reasons for that have zero to do with the cap floor so why are we still discussing that?

Because I think a lot of people view the 12 years thing as disingenuous because it's treating all 12 years the same. They aren't. He still needs to be fired though.

Reactions: MattBarzal and MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think 30 out of 30 teams take DalColle there. When you are talking top 5 it’s fairly taboo to go off the board and if you just go straight up 100 times you’ll hit probably 88-90 of them. By going off the board even 20-30 of 100 times I bet you increase the miss rate by 5 easily

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Because I think a lot of people view the 12 years thing as disingenuous because it's treating all 12 years the same. They aren't. He still needs to be fired though.

But...Who...Cares...?

We're trying to fire snow, but salvage his ego or something?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But...Who...Cares...?

We're trying to fire snow, but salvage his ego or something?

It's about being accurate in your representation for why Snow needs to be fired. Being factual is important. Saying Snow assaulted someone so he should be fired isn't accurate, even though it still sends the same "he needs to be fired" message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad