FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.22, 1 Days to TDD, Anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do people really believe that Bernier is the long-term goaltending solution? That he can be the #1 goalie on a contending Leafs team? If there are any doubts about this at all, why not move him? It will be a few years before the Leafs really need a good goalie, anyway.

What does management believe?
People need to relax.
Has Bernier been traded? What was the return?

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Do people really believe that Bernier is the long-term goaltending solution? That he can be the #1 goalie on a contending Leafs team? If there are any doubts about this at all, why not move him? It will be a few years before the Leafs really need a good goalie, anyway.

Personally, I do and I feel that it will be one of the worst decisions we'll make trading him for anything barring a MASSIVE overpayment. Goalies never garner anything close to what their impact is in trades. It is stupid asset management and we may take years before we'll find someone his caliber again. We've been looking for almost a decade for a great goalie and now that we've finally found him (for cheap even), we're going to trade him away for scraps? And yes, a low 1st is scraps considering his potential impact on the team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd trade Bozak for a 3rd and decent prospect. I don't need a 1st to be rid of a guy that doesn't make this team move forward.

So what you're saying is you'd move anyone on the team for a 3rd. and a decent prospect.

They're the 4th. worst team in the league, name one player moving the team forward? They're going backwards!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only reason why I would be hesitant to trade Bernier is because what if he can eventually play like Tuukka Rask? It's bad enough when Leafs fans are reminded again and again that they traded him, because last night Glenn Healy brought him up. So what if the Leafs trade Bernier and he becomes a great #1 Goalie? Now if they get some great offer that they can't refuse like Edmonton's own 1st round pick in 2015 then I say go for it, because that's the type of return I would want to see if he is traded.

Last edited:

JMcLeaf

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Based on Vermette..

So what you're saying is you'd move anyone on the team for a 3rd. and a decent prospect.

They're the 4th. worst team in the league, name one player moving the team forward? They're going backwards!

It has to be more than a 3rd or he would already be gone to Vancouver.The Leafs have a price for him, if it isn't met he gets traded at the draft to Edmonton.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
The only reason why I would be hesitant to trade Bernier is because what if he can eventually play like Tuukka Rask? It's bad enough when Leafs fans are reminded again and again that they traded him, because last Glenn Healy brought him up. So what if the Leafs trade Bernier and he becomes a great #1 Goalie? Now if they get some great offer that they can't refuse like Edmonton's own 1st round pick in 2015 then I say go for it, because that's the type of return I would want to see if he is traded.

Totally this. We've been burned far too many times before, now that we're finally willing to move in the right direction, let's not take 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
This guy is a legit insider. I like this tweet.

Make it Bernier for Draisaitl somehow.

I think the most realistic names would be Nylander, Gardiner, to add to Bernier. Who knows maybe one of the bigger cap hits too.

If Nonis pulls this off, he's done a bang up job this deadline.
Why in every trade proposal you throw in nylander

He is one of the few bright spots of young potential players in our system but you want to include him for Draitsil

Why don't we keep nylander and draft strome and then have two very good young potential players for the long term

Leon isn't ant better of a centre than strome
They are both prospects and have proven nothing

Stupid idea to trade nylander at this point in his career
Not saying he's untouchable but it would have to be a trade that knocked our socks off and for Leon that's not worth it

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Totally this. We've been burned far too many times before, now that we're finally willing to move in the right direction, let's not take 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I'd say this is a bit different. We traded Rask when he was far younger then Bernier is now (they are a year apart). If this team think's it needs 2-3 years to build a core, then what's the point of keeping Bernier?

If Bernier was even 2-3 years younger, I'd say no way in hell should we look into trading him, but the guy is turning 27 this calender year. Depends on the game plan.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
I'd say this is a bit different. We traded Rask when he was far younger then Bernier is now (they are a year apart). If this team think's it needs 2-3 years to build a core, then what's the point of keeping Bernier?

If Bernier was even 2-3 years younger, I'd say no way in hell should we look into trading him, but the guy is turning 27 this calender year. Depends on the game plan.

Goalies generally last longer. Also, he'll only be about 31/32 when we potentially become competitive. I don't see why that is a problem. I'd rather keep him than trading him for something that most likely won't give us much of an impact.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Kadri was drafted 2009, and he's still learning how to play center.

If this year the Leafs can draft a 1st. line center, in 5-6 years when he's Kadri's age Bernier would be 32-33.

Now if the Leafs are looking at keeping Kessel, and perhaps using Phaneuf and their 1st. this year to grab a 1st. line center, you keep Bernier.

But they aren't shopping him, but they are listening to offers for him. There is a difference. He's not an untouchable, I'm guessing it was have to be a good deal.

What if a current contender had a hot-shot keeper in the minors, but wanted an older guy for now? Bernier and Bozak for Gibson type of deal.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why in every trade proposal you throw in nylander

He is one of the few bright spots of young potential players in our system but you want to include him for Draitsil

Why don't we keep nylander and draft strome and then have two very good young potential players for the long term

Leon isn't ant better of a centre than strome
They are both prospects and have proven nothing

Stupid idea to trade nylander at this point in his career
Not saying he's untouchable but it would have to be a trade that knocked our socks off and for Leon that's not worth it

The Oilers arent trading for any more small forwards. Any rumour that contains Nylander and Drais is a fabrication. Leon is the attempt to add size up front. They are seriously more like to trade RNH. They have been talking about getting bigger for two years and the names that come up are Yak, and Eberle.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
:leafs
PITS 1st
EDM 2nd

:edmonton
Bernier

anything less and id walk away
I would want Edmonton's 1st round pick instead. Chances are that Nashville 1st round pick the Leafs have will be between 26th - 30th overall and depending how the Penguins do in the playoffs, their 1st round pick could be in the same area.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

again you need goaltending during a rebuild to develop and grow a young team just as much as contender needs one to go far and win the cup. The entire confidence of any team stems from the goaltending position.

So no you don't move him. Consider yourself lucky to have a goaltender of his ability during a rebuild. Other wise your spinning your tires going nowhere with the so called rebuild until you get one. Just ask Edmonton or even Florida why they traded for Luongo. It's the most important position in hockey regardless of the status of a team. Your not building towards anything until you get a goalie and your not winning anything until you get a goalie. The Leafs have a good one don't need to turn into Philly;)

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 13m13 minutes ago
sounds like the next deal is coming from the oilers…but may not be the deal we are all waiting on

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Of course we will listen to talk about your first MacTavish.

There is no need for the Leafs to trade Bernier. So the only kind of payment would be our 1st+ Bernier for Oilers 1st.
And since the answer would be no, we can move onto trading Kessel/Phaneuf please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad