FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.22, 1 Days to TDD, Anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
No one's talking about Jake Gardiner as a trade possibilty, but IMO he is clearly the worst contract on the Leafs cap right now. 4.05 x 5 with 4 years to go.

Value has diminished, he is not an offensive D man, he is scared of getting hit, and he is not a smart decision maker.

If Clarkson can be moved, maybe Nonis can pull another rabbit out of his hat and clear close to 9.30 M in capspace in 24 hours.

Gardiner's contract is palpable for the time being considering his age and potential. It's premature to give up on him.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
No one's talking about Jake Gardiner as a trade possibilty, but IMO he is clearly the worst contract on the Leafs cap right now. 4.05 x 5 with 4 years to go.

Value has diminished, he is not an offensive D man, he is scared of getting hit, and he is not a smart decision maker.

If Clarkson can be moved, maybe Nonis can pull another rabbit out of his hat and clear close to 9.30 M in capspace in 24 hours.

The problem is that Jake's value is at an all time low.

Not that many years ago we were all raving about Jake Gardiner and how well he moved the puck and saw the ice. The kid will be 25 years old this summer. We may as well keep him, and let the new/newish coaching staff work with him and see if he can be turned into anything. Players develop at a different rate, and he's still young. As a fan base that wants management to be patient with young players, perhaps we should try the same?

I say we be patient with him and see how things turn out. If he continues to be a complete disaster it's not like we're contending for a Cup.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
so this team has won what 4 game in teh last 20 and people still think spending 15 million on new supporting players could work

if they spend it on Mike Green and Chris Stewart then this team makes the playoffs for sure
they'll change the culture for sure
make the core actually compete and be accountable

clarkson and franson were mistakes and Phanuef or Kessel aren't the problem

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
so this team has won what 4 game in teh last 20 and people still think spending 15 million on new supporting players could work

if they spend it on Mike Green and Chris Stewart then this team makes the playoffs for sure

Who's people? I saw only 1 person among the many that advocated this.

silentbob37*

Chuck obviously has his sources. He's broken a few trades and signings and has made posts about players availability hours before the professional insiders. Question him all you want but do keep it to yourself, there is no need to harass a guy whose opinion is valued around here and ruin it for the rest of us.

I don't know chuck, what he has "broke", what people have said to him etc....

But I think its absolutely silly to expect to post information or ones opinion in a public internet forum and not be questioned. No offense to Chuck, but if he hates being questioned that much then posting on an internet forum isn't the right outlet for him and/or he needs to learn to post what he wants and then ignore all the responses. But it is not on everyone else to "leave someone alone" after they put their opinion or their info. out there for everyone read in a forum that invites responses

Man sometimes I wish people would keep their opinions to themselves.

So do I......... (see the issue you quickly run into?)

silentbob37*

But now they can spend Clarkson's money on Kadri and Bernier

That makes them better right?........Right?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner's contract is palpable for the time being considering his age and potential. It's premature to give up on him.

Not that many years ago we were all raving about Jake Gardiner and how well he moved the puck and saw the ice. The kid will be 25 years old this summer. We may as well keep him, and let the new/newish coaching staff work with him and see if he can be turned into anything. Players develop at a different rate, and he's still young. As a fan base that wants management to be patient with young players, perhaps we should try the same?

I say we be patient with him and see how things turn out. If he continues to be a complete disaster it's not like we're contending for a Cup.

He has also started to play better again after the coaching change. Gardiner in the Hora-era is pretty much worth his contract. Trading him when his value is at an all-time low but he is showing signs of change would be terrible, terrible timing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya it seems like the player dealt first dictates the market for comparables that follow. Does Sekera get dealt for a 1st + prospect if Franson doesn't go for the equivalent of a 1st first?

Didn't Franson go for Leipsic.

Santorelli for 1st. and cap dump.

:sarcasm:

This is turning into the Kessel for a 1st. scenario, where the other 1st. and 2nd. are ignored.

Hopefully, the Leafs are able to move Jokinen for anything.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Chuck obviously has his sources. He's broken a few trades and signings and has made posts about players availability hours before the professional insiders. Question him all you want but do keep it to yourself, there is no need to harass a guy whose opinion is valued around here and ruin it for the rest of us.

I want to believe it as much as the next guy, but when I've asked for the trades he's broken, all I've received is the beauchemin years ago. Where he said that he may have heard that a certain player with be traded back to his former team.

For the record, I know a player in the NHL and I knew exactly where he was going before he was a UFA. Doesn't make me an insider though.

I've seen lots of posters make "one call", hell I've even seen them guess them right.... doesn't make them insiders.

I'm not questioning chuck, but I'd love to see the list of trades/signings he's broken before the insiders.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Good point. While I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic with Gardiner, his value is pretty low right now. Combine that with his contract and the return may not be great - unless there is a team that's still willing to pay for his potential and offer the Leafs a good deal. I'm sure there are a few teams out there that would so I'd be listening for sure.

Given that other members of the core (Bozak, Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf) are likely to be moved in the off-season the Leafs won't be in any kind of cap crunch going forward so there isn't a pressing need to deal Gardiner from that perspective.

I think if we look at Franson at how his value was perceived towards the end of last season because he had an awful year .. But he was retained and he turn his play around, increased his value where the Leafs got a good return on him this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He's soft, does not like to be hit, does not have offensive numbers(never has) and he is good for one bone head play a game.

I would say he is worth giving up on to save 20+M on the cap. I disagree on Gardiner, we have other young defencemen on the way up soon. Percy can easily fill his spot.

Hope Nonis can write this wrong too.

Given the prices for Franson and Sekera, he would get something back.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I know we just rid ourselves of a bad contract, but I wonder if Richards trade talks heat up again (at least of hfboards lol).

I'd take his cap hit for the likes of wingers Kempe/Zykov or centres Weal/Shore + a pick.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I know we just rid ourselves of a bad conteact, but I wonder if Richards trade talks heat up again (at least of hfboards lol).

I'd take his cap hit for the likes of wingers Kempe/Zykov or centres Weal/Shore + a pick.

I revisit the potential Richards dump if we move out 2 or 3 of Bozak/Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf.

I guess things change too though if Phaneuf is part of the deal going back to LA.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I revisit the potential Richards dump if we move out 2 or 3 of Bozak/Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf.

I guess things change too though if Phaneuf is part of the deal going back to LA.

LA isn't taking anything back at this point. It would be strictly for scrubs IMO so they could spend on another UFA like Vermette. Keep in mind they want to sign Williams and possibly Sekera in the offseason along with RFAs Toffoli and Pearson so they couldn't deal with Phaneufs contract.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
LA isn't taking anything back at this point. It would be strictly for scrubs IMO so they could spend on another UFA like Vermette.

I am not convinced of that yet. I still think they want a player back.
------

At this point I am convinced Lupul will be gone before/on Monday. Also have a strong feeling Bozak will be too.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I know we just rid ourselves of a bad conteact, but I wonder if Richards trade talks heat up again (at least of hfboards lol).

Ugh, I hope to god we don't touch that trade with a 100-ft pole. The only way I'd have been willing to take on Richards was with their 2015 1st and Toffoli in a deal for Dion, but since they've traded that pick, and likely won't move Toffoli, I don't want to go from 1 terrible deal to another.

Keep the space, use it on 1 year FAs or trades for cap dumps with 1-2 years left, and let the team grow properly. If in 2 years our "worst" contracts are Komarov and Gardiner, then we are in a fantastic position and will have tons of options. Don't screw that up by taking on Richards unless they make it absolutely impossible to say no (Toffoli + Kempe for Dion - won't happen, but that's what it'd take for me to say yes to Richards).

iBlaze81

Jan 18, 2010
Would you guys do:

Tor: Lucic (6.00 UFA 2016) + (3round or 4thround pick)
Bos: Lupul (5.25 UFA 2018) + (2round or 3round pick)

I know Boston fans are sick of Lucic because hasn't been the player he used to be. Same goes for Leafs fan, we are sick of Lupul being injury every week.

Change of scenery would be nice for both players, and if Lucic doesn't work out here, we can flip him for a pick at the deadline next year

thoughts ?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He's soft, does not like to be hit, does not have offensive numbers(never has) and he is good for one bone head play a game.

I would say he is worth giving up on to save 20+M on the cap. I disagree on Gardiner, we have other young defencemen on the way up soon. Percy can easily fill his spot.

Hope Nonis can write this wrong too.

Given the prices for Franson and Sekera, he would get something back.

Objectively, if our goal is to create some level of organizational accountability (it should be), should we not wait for Percy to actually earn ice time over Gardiner before we even consider moving him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about clearing out bad contracts, but Gardiner isn't one. He's had a bad year (like many), but with Clarkson gone, there's no real imminent cap crunch. Toronto has 3 defencemen likely on the roster next year who are fairly incompatible (Rielly, Gardiner, and Percy). If Toronto's looking to add a big name on the blueline to keep Rielly on the 2nd pair, then maybe there's merit in moving Gardiner, but I don't see that big name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad