FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.22, 1 Days to TDD, Anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't mind if we trade bernier then trade for a guy like Eddie Lack. Be nice to have a big goalie. I feel bernier is just way too small (go easy on the jokes lol)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we trade Bernier we will regret it more than trading rask.

I think the Bernier rumours are a bunch of BS honestly. Bernier has given management nothing other than not bailing out this sinking ship of a team to believe he's not a capable starter, if not more. Reimer is the guy they're looking at moving, and he'll likely go to a team like Edmonton (but don't try anything on here, they don't know what they are talking about), the Islanders, Philly, etc.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I really hope they can get rid of Boxak ASAP for the max possible return, the longer we hold on to him the more his value drops. Could have been a good 3C but not someone I'm looking to keep for 4 mill when he could get something of value.

Bernier I'd be open to trading, but it would be a big risk and the return would have to be substantial. Top 15 pick +. He's going to be an amazing goalie behind a good defence. Hopefully it doesn't take another 10 years to get a goalie like him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lack puts some pretty good numbers. I think he's better then bernier. Van still has markstrom for the backup I think.

Not even close. Lack is older and has posted worse numbers on a playoff team. He's a pure backup; worse than Reimer in fact.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Lack puts some pretty good numbers. I think he's better then bernier. Van still has markstrom for the backup I think.

Lack is not better than Bernier. He's not even starter and has worse numbers behind a good Vancouver team.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Despite his holes there is still some promise there if he can raise his hockey IQ (albeit that seems unlikely). His value is likely very low, why trade him for scraps if we do not need the cap space any time soon. More value to ride it out and try to turn him around.

That's fair and logical. I just hate to see them dismiss the idea all together.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Isn't Calgary still in the playoff hunt though? They aren't done this year...

With Gio going down their hopes are fading. Maybe Calgary management decided to play it safe and aquire some future assets rather than bank on making it to the post season.

Yes, the Flames currently hold a wildcard spot but good GMs will still move players that don't fit their long term plans. My guess is that Calgary realizes they are still a few years away from competing with some the other Western Conf teams like Chicago, LA, etc.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yes, the Flames a wildcard spot but good GMs will still move players that don't fit their long term plans if it fits their long term plan. My guess is that Calgary releases they are still a few years away from competing with some the other Western Conf teams like Chicago, LA, etc.

Yeah I get that, but do you think they'd still bring someone cheap in (i.e. Booth, Havlat, Ryder, etc.) who would help them compete this year still? Or make a hockey deal of some sort? They shouldn't be selling. I mean, Florida sold off Bergenheim and Fleishmann, but then they went out and got Jagr. That's what Calgary should be doing right now and tomorrow?

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Please do not trade Bernier. That would be a huge mistake. Trade Reimer 10 times before trading Bernier.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I hear you there but Rask wasn't 27 at the time of the deal.

Rask also never played a game for us in the NHL so we had no idea what he'd look like as a Leaf. Management has seen Bernier as a Leaf and will weigh their decision I'm sure. I don't like trading our players that haven't even been in the NHL yet. Players like Bozak/Kessel/Phaneuf etc. we know what they are, we know their personalities, we know their ceiling etc.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think the Bernier rumours are a bunch of BS honestly. Bernier has given management nothing other than not bailing out this sinking ship of a team to believe he's not a capable starter, if not more. Reimer is the guy they're looking at moving, and he'll likely go to a team like Edmonton (but don't try anything on here, they don't know what they are talking about), the Islanders, Philly, etc.

It's the same as always with the media. They get word that teams ask about Bernier's availability and portray that the Leafs are shopping him.

There's no untouchables in any situation rather your a cup contender or not you always listen to what teams offer doesn't mean your shopping the player you've been fielding calls for. This is what's been going on with both Kadri and Gardiner these past few years but they've overplayed that card to sell interest so now the media is on Bernier because of the year he had that wasn't as good as last year and he's a pending RFA to re-sign. Story telling at it's finest.

It would take a knock your socks off deal to trade Bernier. He's as an untouchable as Rielly is to this team moving forward until another goalie from within shows is ready to take aims as the starter.

The most important position in hockey regardless if your team is a contender, pretender or rebuilding is the goaltending position. Everything a team does in front, the entire confidence of a team stems from the goaltender. We have a good one that had an inconsistent year doesn't = get rid of him that's just absurd asset management.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Do people really believe that Bernier is the long-term goaltending solution? That he can be the #1 goalie on a contending Leafs team? If there are any doubts about this at all, why not move him? It will be a few years before the Leafs really need a good goalie, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad