FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.16 - Leafs are Open For Business. UFAs Aisle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Is there any way to pry Edmonton's first round pick? Bernier + Phaneuf (1.5M retained) + ???

With Bernier + Phaneuf at a reasonable cap it could help this team that's currently wasting away Nugent Hopkins, Hall, Eberle and Yakupov. They've been a bottom feeder team for so many consecutive years that I don't think Eichel would help them improve much, if at all.

No...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if a trade is made with the Leafs and Kings in the upcoming days. Heck as early as tomorrow.

No idea what to expect but I have big doubts it will include Phaneuf though.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I can actually see a Phaneuf for Richards+ prospect/pick happen before the deadline.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I can actually see a Phaneuf for Richards+ prospect/pick happen before the deadline.

Well it better be a pretty big name prospect because this is ********. There's no way we're taking on Richards for Dion for a small +. We gotta get a package of picks or Toffoli or Pearson back. Outside of that, this would be a terrible trade

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

its not going away...

Also not that it should be much of a surprise but Richards has 6 pts in 5 games so far.

Richards is too good for the AHL.

He's an expensive Top 9 Forward who can come in and mentor some youth, and bring real experience.

He can still bring point production and two way play in the right system. No he won't be a 60+ point Top Line Center anymore, but he could produce at a 45-55 point pace and steady play with the right system and pieces around him.

He's been through it all and knows how to overcome the allure of being young and successful within the league. He's got some Cups, he's got a good voice and positive message.

The ONLY negative that comes with Richards is his "salary cap hit".

When in all reality, within 3 years, that contract could become an "asset" of sorts to cap aware teams.

Teams like Arizona for example would LOVE to be paying Mike Richards only 3m but have it count towards the cap for 5.27m. His contract will not be a major issue should the Leafs decide to move him in a few years.

With all of that said, I won't be upset by any means if this team picks him up as a "Cap Dump" along with other assets from the Kings.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

He's an expensive Top 9 Forward who can come in and mentor some youth, and bring real experience.

He can still bring point production and two way play in the right system. No he won't be a 60+ point Top Line Center anymore, but he could produce at a 45-55 point pace and steady play with the right system and pieces around him.

He's been through it all and knows how to overcome the allure of being young and successful within the league. He's got some Cups, he's got a good voice and positive message.

When in all reality, within 3 years, that contract could become an "asset" of sorts to cap aware teams.

Teams like Arizona for example would LOVE to be paying Mike Richards only 3m but have it count towards the cap for 5.27m. His contract will not be a major issue should the Leafs decide to move him in a few years.

With all of that said, I won't be upset by any means if this team picks him up as a "Cap Dump" along with other assets from the Kings.

Is it still leaning towards a Richards + for Phaneuf or could the Leafs be revisiting this in another way without Phaneuf going back? Say maybe Lupul instead.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is there any way to pry Edmonton's first round pick? Bernier + Phaneuf (1.5M retained) + ???

With Bernier + Phaneuf at a reasonable cap it could help this team that's currently wasting away Nugent Hopkins, Hall, Eberle and Yakupov. They've been a bottom feeder team for so many consecutive years that I don't think Eichel would help them improve much, if at all.

Eichel could stay on the Marlies for a year while Leafs become the worst team in 2015-2016 to draft Matthews...

I would guess not if they are top 3. The vibe here seemed to be they would move it if they were outside a decent shot at the top two guys. This is a stronger year than when the Oil got Yak and RNH and I expect they would move any of their existing guys to make room.. I think it would require too much of an overpayment. Now Yakupov is a different story but the Leafs aren't looking to get smaller (altho Yakupov is Gordie howe compared to Phil).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like Bryan Murray screwed up not trading Neil in time eh?

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators
Injury update: #Sens Chris Neil has suffered a fractured left thumb and will be out indefinitely.

Something something experience...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It would have to be LA 1st+Richards+Toffoli/Pearson/big name prospect

only way that deal gets done, richards has negative value, Phaneuf is a damn #3 d-man at worst, lets not underrate him, his contract isn't the best but accepting Richards contract back negates that problem and thus Phaneuf should have very high value.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

"No, no boys, Martinis are 2/3 Gin and 1/3 Vermouth. Lets try it again."

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
It would have to be LA 1st+Richards+Toffoli/Pearson/big name prospect

only way that deal gets done, richards has negative value, Phaneuf is a damn #3 d-man at worst, lets not underrate him, his contract isn't the best but accepting Richards contract back negates that problem and thus Phaneuf should have very high value.

That's not going to happen. We have a habit of over inflating our players value. Dion is not getting that. At best, you get a good prospect along with Richards.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
That's not going to happen. We have a habit of over inflating our players value. Dion is not getting that. At best, you get a good prospect along with Richards.

You dont think Phaneuf is worth a 25-30 1st and Toffoli?(richards is a cap dump)

Lupul almost got toffoli last season.

how is a #2-3 d-man not worth a top 6 winger and a late 1st?

I think people are heavily UNDERvaluing phaneuf, this is a very fair deal. mid-late 1st+ great top 6 player or prospect.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
I have no problem moving anybody on this team if the price is right.

The nice thing about Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR and Bozak is they are all under contract. As a team the management can wait and hold onto them till a favourable deal comes in. There is a very low risk of losing them for nothing.

The reason I believe that JVR isn't being shopped as strongly is that you don't put everything into one draft. You can only have a limited amount of contracts per team, players need the opportunity to develop and a flooded minor system limits proper development time for players. If you flood your system with one draft class you will limit yourself to needing to putting focus into European and college programs so you can hold onto their rights longer. (I have no problem selecting from these programs but t shouldn't be the controlling factor)

IMO I would hold onto assets such as JVR, Gardiner and Kadri to see not only if they can turn the corner with larger roles and increase their value. For the record I like all three players and hope they have long productive careers in the Blue and White.

This team is in a void of non-emotion, unreal in my opinion, sports should be emotional and as a player if you have none you're in the wrong profession.

I expect Dallas to be the team that steps up and trades for Phaneuf, whether it be before the Trade Deadline or summer. They have stated that since last summer they've been searching for a top two defenseman and that you can't find them except through trade.

I can't wait for the trades to start happening!!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Hahaha :handclap:

I certainly would have agreed to this 3-4 years ago.

I heard he makes a mean Daiquiri!

It definitely was a joke but I'm not a fan of him right now. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a better player than I think, but imo he just doesn't have it anymore

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I have no issue with taking on Richards contract, we're going to be shedding Bozak's, Kessel's and Phaneuf's contracts so no big contract will be left over from it.

we're gonna be playing with alot of players on ELC's and RFA contracts for the next few years, so we're gonna have to hit the cap floor somehow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad