FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.16 - Leafs are Open For Business. UFAs Aisle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Do it. DO IT.
man.

also. the thread was full (or practically)
and bert ran out of thread titles.

no hearsay and no libel

also. need sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm seeing Holzer's name in lots of fan posts.

Why? Did I miss something?

Respectfully, he doesn't look like he belongs in the NHL - who in their right mind would offer up a pick for someone like that?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I'm seeing Holzer's name in lots of fan posts.

Why? Did I miss something?

Respectfully, he doesn't look like he belongs in the NHL - who in their right mind would offer up a pick for someone like that?

could be a throw in?

Holzer+kessel for Jones+Stalberg+1st kind of thing?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You might get a conditional pick for Holzer, he's nothing more than a depth d-man aka a guy who'll sit in the press box for any decent team.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Holzer would be a decent throw-in for a package to a contender that is looking to ensure they have depth on the blueline. He's cheap, serviceable as a 6th man and can sit in the pressbox is needs be.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Holzer's name has been mentioned a few times by 'insiders'. I remember Kypreos specifically saying there's interest.

He is what he is. An expiring contract who adds depth to a defense going in to the playoffs. Teams are always looking for those

If Nonis was a GM of another team he'd be all over Holzer at the deadline.

Pittsburgh traded D Marc Bergevin to Vancouver for Vancouver’s seventh-round pick in the 2004 Entry Draft.

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Sean Brown from the New Jersey Devils for a 2006 4th rounder (T.J. Miller)

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Brent Sopel from the LA Kings for 2007 2nd rounder (Wayne Simmonds)

The Toronto Maple Leafs acquire defenseman Ryan O'Byrne from the Colorado Avalanche for a 2014 4th rounder

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
He's not a depth Dman if he can't play in the league... That's the point I'm trying to make lol

What makes you think that he can't play in the league? I think he did a pretty good job this season. He is a capable number 5-7 D. Can he handle top line minutes playing with Phaneuf? No, he is nothing more than a bottom pairing guy but i still think it would be the best thing to keep him and give him a new (small) contract because, as mentioned before, he is one of the few players that actually went through our entire system with all the possible ups and downs. It is very important to have guys like that on your team that can guide prospects through the development process and help them with their experience. In this regard he is even more valuable to us than Rielly and Kadri because most of the picks you make are not top 10 picks and very talented blue chip prospects. Developing into an NHL player can be a long bumpy road if you are not a blue chip prospect that can take the fast lane. I know Kadri had to go back to the Marlies but i think you understand the point i am trying to make. It is much easier to make it if you are as skilled and talented as Kadri and especially Rielly. But at the end of the day we need to develop decent bottom pairing defensemen, bottom 6 forwards and other depth players as well. And even some top 4 D and top 6 forwards had to take Holzers long bumpy road.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Holzer is a guy who in very limited minutes can get you barely acceptable numbers at this stage of his career, and I don't think it's likely that he gets better. That's not very enticing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holzer is a guy who in very limited minutes can get you barely acceptable numbers at this stage of his career, and I don't think it's likely that he gets better. That's not very enticing.

Teams always look for depth though. I think people alluding to Holzer not being claimed a few months ago means he has no value now don't understand that needs and value change.

When Holzer was waived, teams were set and not many of them needed a depth defender, one that wasn't playing overly well either.

Since Holzer has been back with the Leafs though, he's played decently for a bottom pairing D. Average mobility, good physicality, not completely dumb on the ice. A team that thought had good depth a few months ago might have a different opinion on it now and Holzer could fit, especially as a RHD.

A late pick is not out of the question. I mean, I've seen worst players fetch something at the dead line. All you need is one team to have interest. I wouldn't be surprised though if there is zero interest either.

Last edited:

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Holzer is a 7th D who is UFA. If you can get a 7th rounder for the guy, you do it. He's nothing special.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Was interesting hearing McGuire mention how highly a lot of people around the league value Bozak. He said if the Leafs do move him that it'll likely be a significant return. Now obviously significant is ambiguous but it sounds like it won't be for a 2nd round pick and a crappy prospect.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
I agree with previous posts that we need to get quality (not quantity) back for Kessel. Is Jones out of the realm of possibility? Maybe or maybe not. I don't believe offers like Kessel for Jones, Filia and a 1st are realistic but I do think Nonis should be very aggressive in obtaining a blue chip talent back. Something like:

Kessel, Percy for Jones, maybe a 1st

OR

Kessel, Percy for Ekblad, maybe a 1st or 2nd

Some would say we are overpaying but to be honest if it came to either getting one blue chip or multiple good prospects who may or may not have an impact then I overpay every day of the week.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I agree with previous posts that we need to get quality (not quantity) back for Kessel. Is Jones out of the realm of possibility? Maybe or maybe not. I don't believe offers like Kessel for Jones, Filia and a 1st are realistic but I do think Nonis should be very aggressive in obtaining a blue chip talent back. Something like:

Kessel, Percy for Jones, maybe a 1st

OR

Kessel, Percy for Ekblad, maybe a 1st or 2nd

Some would say we are overpaying but to be honest if it came to either getting one blue chip or multiple good prospects who may or may not have an impact then I overpay every day of the week.

I think both are out of the realm of possibility. Ekblad not available/never happen. Less likely than Jones, and that's unlikely enough. I don't think Jones is going anywhere - if Nashville makes a play for Kessel it's something with pieces like Ekholm, Fiala, Kamenev, Watson (hope not but possible) & 1st & 2nds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Buffalo poised to land McDavid/Eichel does anyone believe if on the heels of the Kane trade would there be anyone that thinks Buffalo might deal Sam Reinhart in a blockbuster deal for Kessel?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
With Buffalo poised to land McDavid/Eichel does anyone believe if on the heels of the Kane trade would there be anyone that thinks Buffalo might deal Sam Reinhart in a blockbuster deal for Kessel?

Their management is too smart to trade away a future potential 1C+ for Kessel, especially when he doesn't fit their age group over there

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Extremely unlikely IMO. Kessel will probably go to a contender. Though they would have the capspace and the prospect depth to do it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I would trade Holzer for even a 7th rd pick. Anaheim was interested in him once. But not sure what the market is on him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad