FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.16 - Leafs are Open For Business. UFAs Aisle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
it does not add up BS

dion on his own value is worth pic,prospects

for some to relieve LA of richards cap burden should demand picks/prospects as compensation.

it would have to be a ridiculous offer on LA part then.

we would be far better off cap wise and trade value wise then to just retain 1.25m of dions cap hit and shop him around.

richards is just as dead cap as clarkson

That's what I was trying to say yesterday. Phaneuf on his own should get back 1st+ prospect. Yet people expect that return including Richards? :shakehead

I'd want additional 1st if we're taking Richards. So sure, if Kings are giving us 2015 1st + 2016 1st + good prospect, they can add Richards for Phaneuf.

Is Lombardi going to do that, no. We shouldn't either for anything short of that kind of return imo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
well there is semin.

Richards, Orpik or even Kovalchuk that still has repercussions also. Then there will be guys who aren't doing too bad now, but how would you feel when you have to pay Luongo a chunk of change when he's 43? Or Hossa? Or even Weber?

The only thing going against Clarkson right now is that he is probably 1.5 million overpaid, and he has plenty of salary in the next two years... Which for us and LA, doesn't even matter. Cap matters, and Clarkson has less of it. After his expensive years are done (two years), Clarkson won't even be in the top 10. Richards may very well be still. Orpik will be higher on the list, as will some other guys who are reaching their 40's and still making 5-6 million a year.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
What is it for Clarkson?

clarkson.png

from here: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ksons-contract-is-maybe-probably-buyout-proof

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
We better hope for expansion cause that will be our out for Clarkson. We can tell the team to take Clarkson and we will make a separate deal to give up a prospect so they take Clarkson

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
It's bad, but you still save cap space. I'd be overjoyed if the leafs could pay Clarkson 2.6 million a year to not play for them - but they can't.

You don't save cap space, you have dead cap space. Honestly, I'd ride out 3 years of a bad contract instead of buying the player out. I was furious when we bought out Tucker when he had 3 years left.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We better hope for expansion cause that will be our out for Clarkson. We can tell the team to take Clarkson and we will make a separate deal to give up a prospect so they take Clarkson

I think we need to give up on beating up Clarkson. He's almost 50-50 in terms of giveaways to takeaways whilst with the Leafs. Richards has been a major negative in that area. He's a major hitter and plays with sandpaper. Richards used to, but not really anymore. Clarkson got almost 20% fewer offensive starts than Richards two years ago, and 10% fewer this year, but they have the same number of points this year. Clarkson's possession numbers are worse, but Toronto in general has been awful in that area. Richards' would be worse here also, and vice-versa.

I don't care about what people have to say about him on the ice. People are saying ridiculous things about everyone on the Leafs right now. All I know is that he wants to compete and win more than anyone else on this team right now. He wants to go out there and win every day. For goodness sakes, he took a 10 game suspension to jump off the bench, go up against 6'8" 250 or whatever pounds John Scott, just so he could protect a guy who was his teammate for about 2-3 months. That cost him almost $660,000. If he doesn't do it on the score sheet, he does it somewhere else. We need more of that. He's overpriced, sure whatever, but people just associate with his name more than anything right now.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
That's what I was trying to say yesterday. Phaneuf on his own should get back 1st+ prospect. Yet people expect that return including Richards? :shakehead

I'd want additional 1st if we're taking Richards. So sure, if Kings are giving us 2015 1st + 2016 1st + good prospect, they can add Richards for Phaneuf.

Is Lombardi going to do that, no. We shouldn't either for anything short of that kind of return imo.

Good luck trading Phanuef's contract without a cap dump coming the other way... They're not insisting that Richards's come back they're just down to earth that if the Leafs are going to get what they want for trading Phanuef a cap dump is going to come back and have since rationalized fairly I may add why if Richards comes the other way why it isn't all bad since the team is perceived to be going young where cap space will be of no issue when all the moves to rebuilding are said and done with in the big picture.

It all depends if you think Richards can still play a regular shift. If it's deemed he could still play what's the difference if it's Richards as the cap dump as appose to somebody else who wouldn't have the pedigree of experience that Richards holds?

I'll tell you right now he's not what he once was but he can still play at a level that's further north than how Bozak has played these past few months. LA is cap strapped and had to send him down as the 900K of space they save grows by each passing day to the deadline in cap space to make a trade.

1million in cap space at the start of the year is actually more come the trade deadline when a certain amount of the seasons salary gets paid. So in theory with 1 million in cap space you can potentially add a player that has a cap hit more than that. That's why he was sent down. Don't be surprised after the deadline if he's still in LA Richards gets re-called back for there playoff push.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think we need to give up on beating up Clarkson. He's almost 50-50 in terms of giveaways to takeaways whilst with the Leafs. Richards has been a major negative in that area. He's a major hitter and plays with sandpaper. Richards used to, but not really anymore. Clarkson got almost 20% fewer offensive starts than Richards two years ago, and 10% fewer this year, but they have the same number of points this year. Clarkson's possession numbers are worse, but Toronto in general has been awful in that area. Richards' would be worse here also, and vice-versa.

I don't care about what people have to say about him on the ice. People are saying ridiculous things about everyone on the Leafs right now. All I know is that he wants to compete and win more than anyone else on this team right now. He wants to go out there and win every day. For goodness sakes, he took a 10 game suspension to jump off the bench, go up against 6'8" 250 or whatever pounds John Scott, just so he could protect a guy who was his teammate for about 2-3 months. That cost him almost $660,000. If he doesn't do it on the score sheet, he does it somewhere else. We need more of that. He's overpriced, sure whatever, but people just associate with his name more than anything right now.

You forgot to the sarcasm icon after your speech haha. You must be a family member cause there is no defense of clarkson game. He is terrible

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Good luck trading Phanuef's contract without a cap dump coming the other way... They're not insisting that Richards's come back they're just down to earth that if the Leafs are going to get what they want for trading Phanuef a cap dump is going to come back and have since rationalized fairly I may add why if Richards comes the other way why it isn't all bad since the team is perceived to be going young where cap space will be of no issue when all the moves to rebuilding are said and done with in the big picture.

It all depends if you think Richards can still play a regular shift. If it's deemed he could still play what's the difference if it's Richards as the cap dump as appose to somebody else who wouldn't have the pedigree of experience that Richards holds?

I'll tell you right now he's not what he once was but he can still play at a level that's further north than how Bozak has played these past few months. LA is cap strapped and had to send him down as the 900K of space they save grows by each passing day to the deadline in cap space to make a trade.

1million in cap space at the start of the year is actually more come the trade deadline when a certain amount of the seasons salary gets paid. So in theory with 1 million in cap space you can potentially add a player that has a cap hit more than that. That's why he was sent down. Don't be surprised after the deadline if he's still in LA Richards gets re-called back for there playoff push.

There's a big difference in getting a cap dump that is 1-2 years remaining then taking on Richards huge 5 years.

As I've said many times now, I have no problems taking Richards if we're compensated correctly for that terrible contract.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You forgot to the sarcasm icon after your speech haha. You must be a family member cause there is no defense of clarkson game. He is terrible

Nope, just tired of the crap Clarkson and other players have to go through. I'm tired of hearing Leafs fans complain about our players. Tired of other teams degrading our players. I get it's frustrating that things have been crap for the past who knows how long. It sucks. But it's not Clarkson or his "NHL worst" contract, or Kessel and his "poor work ethic", or Phaneuf "being a pylon"; it's just that we are doing so bad for so long, and it's getting people down.

I haven't been alive long enough to see a major Toronto franchise win a championship, never mind the Leafs. It sucks when you see a bunch of other teams win year after year while you sit in the back of the pack over the same period of time. But I don't take that out on a player, especially if it's not worthy.

Just take a deep breath. Clarkson isn't the issue. It's the franchise as a whole, and Clarkson is a part of that. When we get on the right track, and going into the rebuild, Clarkson and his salary (to get to the floor) will actually be needed. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarkson around to teach some kids some heart, because if nothing else, he has that.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Nope, just tired of the crap Clarkson and other players have to go through. I'm tired of hearing Leafs fans complain about our players. Tired of other teams degrading our players. I get it's frustrating that things have been crap for the past who knows how long. It sucks. But it's not Clarkson or his "NHL worst" contract, or Kessel and his "poor work ethic", or Phaneuf "being a pylon"; it's just that we are doing so bad for so long, and it's getting people down.

I haven't been alive long enough to see a major Toronto franchise win a championship, never mind the Leafs. It sucks when you see a bunch of other teams win year after year while you sit in the back of the pack over the same period of time. But I don't take that out on a player, especially if it's not worthy.

Just take a deep breath. Clarkson isn't the issue. It's the franchise as a whole, and Clarkson is a part of that. When we get on the right track, and going into the rebuild, Clarkson and his salary (to get to the floor) will actually be needed. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarkson around to teach some kids some heart, because if nothing else, he has that.

I know I have been watching the team for 42 years so I hear ya. It's been that way for as long as I have watched

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
There's a big difference in getting a cap dump that is 1-2 years remaining then taking on Richards huge 5 years.

As I've said many times now, I have no problems taking Richards if we're compensated correctly for that terrible contract.

LOL 5 years isn't all that long if the Leafs are rebuilding the way that gets talked about ;). If your expecting the rebuild that's being talked about be anything quick keep dreaming. There's value in Richards for rebuilding teams. If Edmonton wasn't so damn into tanking a player like Richards would serve a great deal of help.

He's a player that could help by means of playing WITH young guys as appose playing over them. During that 5 years his actual salary will be less than the cap hit and that's another reason why he's a good fit during a rebuild.

Welcome to the reality of a rebuild in a cap world.

Let me ask you this. If the best offer for Phanuef in prospect and pick is the one that you would do straight up but the catch is that it tags Richards coming back do you scoff and keep Phanuef instead?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Does anybody have a feeling like this is Yakupov last season with the Oilers?

Jesus, they have to trade someone already.

Can't wait to see this kid light it up with another team. Was such an exciting player before getting drafted, amazing what that organization can do to a young player.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
LOL 5 years isn't all that long if the Leafs are rebuilding the way that gets talked about ;). If your expecting the rebuild that's being talked about be anything quick keep dreaming. There's value in Richards for rebuilding teams. If Edmonton wasn't so damn into tanking a player like Richards would serve a great deal of help.

He's a player that could help by means of playing WITH young guys as appose playing over them. During that 5 years his actual salary will be less than the cap hit and that's another reason why he's a good fit during a rebuild.

Welcome to the reality of a rebuild in a cap world.

Let me ask you this. If the best offer for Phanuef in prospect and pick is the one that you would do straight up but the catch is that it tags Richards coming back do you scoff and keep Phanuef instead?

I look at in terms of value. 5 years is too much just to be a "throw in" in any deal for Phaneuf. So it's not about how long I think the rebuild will take or whatnot.

As for your question, I am willing to take a cap dump, just not in the form of Richards. So no, I wouldn't do that deal with Kings. I would easily take a salary dump from another team if that player has 1-3 years remaining. This is assuming they won't pay extra for the cap dump.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Why are we even talking about buying out clarkson, if we're rebuilding then having salary space won't be a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino