FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.16 - Leafs are Open For Business. UFAs Aisle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Jones is a pipe dream. There isn't a team in the league that is dealing a mackiinnon, drouin, Barkov, jones type talent that quickly especially with significant success already being displayed.

I would agree a blue chip player would need to come back. For the Preds, I would guess Fiala and Diaby would be the forward and defensive player targeted. Hellberg the goaltender.

The intriguing part to me is if Craig Smith a 25 goal scorer is part of the return, how that changes things.

Again, I'm not pumping a trade, I am just saying the Preds have quantity, quality, cap room, and roster talent unlike 90% of teams.

I think the big question with the Preds is if they go further with this shift from all defense all the time to a more offensive unit and if they are looking to get into a win-now mentality. All of that has historically lead to top prospects being traded from positions of strength.

A lot of 'if's' though

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Beck I would agree he is a niche player that could find his way similar to santorelli did. Sissons and Watson hardly. They were blocked by Poile signing 1 year deals with : Ribiero, Roy, Jokinen as well as the expiring contracts of Cullen. Watson was Nhl ready last year as was Sissons. They will be in the NHL either after the trade deadline or next year when they are naturally blocked. Both are solid two way guys with decent hands.

Glad to hear. I've been waiting for Watson to see NHL ice full-time for what seems like forever now. I had high hopes for him, Budish and Latta.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's also only 22 years old. Lot's of time for a rebuilding team to give him meaningful minutes. I mean, he only averaged around 8 minutes a game with the Habs in 21 games. Every time I see him play he's a player that impresses me even with little ice time.

Even if he ends up being a bad player and essentially a bust, it's not a big deal. Taking a chance on players like that is not a bad move. There's really nothing to lose and the risk is very minimal, especially if you still get a draft pick out of it.

I really don't see the down fall of getting a young player like that. It's not like we're trying to build around him.

He should be playing tonight so keep an eye out for him. He's fairly noticeable.

I'll be looking out for him, and I think he's an impressive energy player, but I'd aim just for picks from those UFA's. We can get plenty of prospects from other areas, and I wouldn't be against trading Booth or a different lesser UFA for him. I think it would be a match made in heaven. Cheap depth player for them if they don't want to splurge for Winnik or Santorelli, and we get a prospect they don't really want, but we can use in the bottom 6 and could become more valuable, so it's good return for those UFA's. We can throw him into a stockpile of other prospects that we can test out and/or use for value in some other deals.

I think Toronto will look at Bournival (and Thomas, but hopefully we don't seriously want him) and Montreal at some of our guys (Smith, Booth and then all the other guys should be playing today), and maybe we see some love on Valentines Day to set up a deal for tomorrow :laugh:

:leafs
Michael Bournival
7th round pick 2016

:habs
David Booth

Please let it happen ;)

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Jones is a pipe dream. There isn't a team in the league that is dealing a mackiinnon, drouin, Barkov, jones type talent that quickly especially with significant success already being displayed.

I would agree a blue chip player would need to come back. For the Preds, I would guess Fiala and Diaby would be the forward and defensive player targeted. Hellberg the goaltender.

The intriguing part to me is if Craig Smith a 25 goal scorer is part of the return, how that changes things.

Again, I'm not pumping a trade, I am just saying the Preds have quantity, quality, cap room, and roster talent unlike 90% of teams.

Yea, nobody is going to trad a Brett Hull for an old Rob Ramage

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If we trade Kessel we definitely have to get back a potential #1 center in any trade, that is a priority.

Ideally a trade with NYI for maybe Strome and Dal Colle

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If we trade Kessel we definitely have to get back a potential #1 center in any trade, that is a priority.

Ideally a trade with NYI for maybe Strome and Dal Colle

Imo the top 5 pick is more likely to get that piece

Kessel will return multiple pièces but it's a quantity for quality type trade
Signifies more then the actual return....other then cap flexibility too

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Fair.

But I wouldn't have much incentive to trade him there then. When I look at the your prospect pool, There's potentially good players there, But there's nothing a lot different from what we may have in ours.

So to trade the very best asset we have for them isn't best option for our team IMHO anyway.

Saying that though, I'm flexible. I would be willing to add in order to get a deal done with Jones.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Me too. Kessel is 4th in the league in points since he came to Toronto. You're not going to get him without a stud blue chipper going back. We may as well keep him.

There's that and also that he's signed to a long term deal is a + in this case. Teams don't have to worry about trading for him and have to re-sign him. The Leafs don't have to trade him but I'm sure the media will spill an agenda of the latter because it's a topic that generates conversation.

As long as Kessel doesn't force his way out of town by asking to be traded the Leafs hold strong value in him to get something of significance in any Kessel trade. Trading him for anything less is just plain stupid.

I would argue the same with Phanuef but I'm sure the Nazi like hatred towards this guy will be met with disagreement on him.

The guys the Leafs have to unload are

Bozak
Lupul
Franson
Winnik
Santo

One that's of my opinion should be shed is Robidas as well but at any rate these guys mostly Bozak, Lupul and Franson do to termed contract and need to open roster spots to rebuild can't be Leafs next year.

If I was Gm these are the guys on sale at the cost for these guys picks/prospects
Kessel, Phanuef should sting a little for other teams to trade for them as far as I'm concern.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Imo the top 5 pick is more likely to get that piece

Kessel will return multiple pièces but it's a quantity for quality type trade
Signifies more then the actual return....other then cap flexibility too

Possibly a #5 pick may get a good center or maybe not and then add the fact we may have to develop one for a few years but if we are trading Kessel in the off-season, then we will see what we can get in the draft, maybe a lottery win and McDavid or Ryan Strome's brother, Dylan Strome (he's projected to go 4th) but we do need a #1 Center.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Kessel has cheated on defensive responsibilities the past 4 years

He's a good player on a bad team. Great strategy for fantasy hockey

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Fair.

But I wouldn't have much incentive to trade him there then. When I look at the your prospect pool, There's potentially good players there, But there's nothing a lot different from what we may have in ours.

So to trade the very best asset we have for them isn't best option for our team IMHO anyway.

Saying that though, I'm flexible. I would be willing to add in order to get a deal done with Jones.

Fiala has special talent, but it comes down to Leaf scouts take.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Preds are best bet to get roster level talent. They could part with several guys who could play on the third line right now in Watson, Salomaki, Sissons. They have young players they could move such as Borque, a Beck, Craig Smith. They have solid goaltending prospects, cap room, and all of their draft picks.

Smith + Fiala + 1st. Not sure how other fans here would feel about it, but I'd be okay with that.

From Montreal I'd want Galchenyuk. Montreal will need to overpay if they want Phil

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Why are we talking about Kessel to the Habs?
You don't trade a player like that to a rival and Kessel will not accept a trade to a big market team.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

Just watch, we'll trade Phaneuf for Richards and a decent prospect/2nd :laugh:

Honestly, I can't even blame Nonis anymore. His not a smart GM, he sucks actually. I blame the people that left him at his position, the same GM that created this mess to clean it up!

Ah well, I hope they're there to scout someone else and not Richards.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Honestly, I can't even blame Nonis anymore. His not a smart GM, he sucks actually. I blame the people that left him at his position, the same GM that created this mess to clean it up!

My guess is Jordan Weal.

Scarbarian*

If we are actually planning to rebuild(3-5 years), it wouldn't actually be a bad idea to have Richards around. Who knows, we might need to have additional contract like Clarkson to reach the cap floor, assuming we deal Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul etc and go with the kids next few seasons.

Of course, it would have to be a decent piece coming back with Richards to make it enticing nonetheless.

so say for the sake of making a trade. we deal Phaneuf($7 mil for next 6 seasons) for Richards who maakes north of $5 million for next 5 years plus a prospect like Weal or Zykov. we would save nearly $2 million in capspace and add a guy who could help around during the rebuild process. Not a terrible idea, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad