FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.14 - For Sale: All of the Leafs Pending UFA's and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
most of the bigger deals happen earlier, or at least more talented player deals (ie Phanuef) ...the smaller guys go on the deadline to try to create a bidding war, and up that 3rd round offer to a 2nd, or a 3rd and 4th

Deadline days of late have been duds of late. The best deals are in advance of the hard date Mar 2. We will see what happens, I tend to believe it is better to do something now. An injury to Santa, Franson, Winnik will kill any return we get.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
If a trade doesn't happen this week i doubt anything other than Santa, Winnik and Franson gets moved and those guys would just be for picks or obscure prospect.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Hypothetically, if the Sabres offered their 2015 1st round pick + Grigorenko for Rielly + Loov + Biggs, would you consider it?

i said in the mcdavid thread
the leafs really only have two pieces, rielly and nylander

so even if you give up those to get mcdavid they really aren't that further behind.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Deadline days of late have been duds of late. The best deals are in advance of the hard date Mar 2. We will see what happens, I tend to believe it is better to do something now. An injury to Santa, Franson, Winnik will kill any return we get.

i agree ...sooner is always better than later, and on deadline day make unexpected people available, and move them too.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Hypothetically, if the Sabres offered their 2015 1st round pick + Grigorenko for Rielly + Loov + Biggs, would you consider it?

I'd add Kessel to try to even it out some for them, and even then THEY might not accept
...your package doesnt even get Buffalo talking about Only the 1st at all.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i said in the mcdavid thread
the leafs really only have two pieces, rielly and nylander

so even if you give up those to get mcdavid they really aren't that further behind.

if i am Buffalo, i dont take that.

Buffalo is this draft, and a goalie away from being a long lasting contender

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i agree ...sooner is always better than later, and on deadline day make unexpected people available, and move them too.

I am worried the longer this goes, one of the players we have to move will be hurt. If this happens, then it was a collective failure of this Mgt staff of not foreseeing this was possible. Something is better than nothing. Playing russian roulette that a player may get hurt. Just too cute for me.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I am worried the longer this goes, one of the players we have to move will be hurt. If this happens, then it was a collective failure of this Mgt staff of not foreseeing this was possible. Something is better than nothing. Playing russian roulette that a player may get hurt. Just too cute for me.

my bigger fear is they arent moved because they are trying to resign them, and curse us to mediocrity

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

It's a tradeoff. You risk the injury issue but you also potentially take away the option of a bidding war and you take away leverage from yourself. Like a few years ago when Buffalo grabbed a 1st for Gaustad. That doesn't happen until the last minute and you know a team wants a guy and you put the squeeze on them.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'd add Kessel to try to even it out some for them, and even then THEY might not accept
...your package doesnt even get Buffalo talking about Only the 1st at all.

Two steps back, one step forward. Or in this case, three steps back.

McDavid would be in the exact same situation that Kessel is in. Except he's 18 years old and he won't quite be on Kessel's offensive level just yet. Which is going to turn this town on him like a pack of savage rats. I don't think we're in a position to make a trade like that.

edit-- Assuming Buffalo would even accept. Which I doubt they would.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

That's kind of living in fear don't you think?

You have to risk it to win big sometimes. Something might be better than nothing but you can't let yourself give into fear and let other teams take advantage of that. It's a losing situation long term. You've shown other teams they can pressure you and take advantage of you with a little pressure. I don't like that honestly.

It's a risk, and sometimes you have to take them. Sometimes you don't. If the deals being offered aren't worthwhile (hockey trades that don't improve our future at all, or low draft picks) I don't see any reason to give in right now.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Dave Nonis better start making something happen. Like what he is doing? Why go to multiple games now? Shouldnt you of done this earlier in the season, or has this loosing streak altered his perception of something we as fans have known and seen for 4 years now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad