F Cole Caufield (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Am I the only one whos thinks he's actually been quite good defensively as well? Kid is a straight up stud.

I don't get the criticism either. He's made a few positional errors, lost a couple board plays on the half wall, but nothing major. He has looked no worse defensively than any other Montreal forward.

Seems to me people are looking for (read: manufacturing) things to negatively say about him.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Very impressed with the young man. Not afraid to go to dirty areas, he just oozes offensive genius. He knows where to go, and sees his teammates very well.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he has more grit than what's been described. He's not afraid of the physical battles ( doesn't win many) but he's incredibly well-positioned. His hockey IQ is off the charts and the Habs haven't had a pure shooter in a while. He just goes for the killshot on every offensive opportunity; he doesn't waver, he doesn't hesitate - wether it's pass or shoot, most of the time - it just feels like a life or death situation on his stick. No other way to describe it

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I don't get the criticism either. He's made a few positional errors, lost a couple board plays on the half wall, but nothing major. He has looked no worse defensively than any other Montreal forward.

Seems to me people are looking for (read: manufacturing) things to negatively say about him.
The only forward on the habs with a better xgf% during the playoffs is Brendan Gallagher, who is legitimately a top 5 defensive forward in the league. As a not-even rookie. With about 20 games experience.

it’s the ultimate low-hanging fruit. He’s short and skilled so he must be bad defensively.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
his defense is pretty decent. For example, this game, he made a nice defensive play in OT in a defensive zone faceoff.

Yeah. I was wasn’t criticizing his D. I was criticizing those calling it out…I guess poorly. He learned to play a 200 foot game Wisconsin. He will of course have puck battle issues due to his size, but he does not have positional or effort issues in his own zone.

Reactions: Legend123

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He was a top 5 talent in that class. All other GMs were 5’2 girls on the dance floor telling him they only date 6 footers.

Don't think Caufield would've made it to Montreal if Chicago didn't move up to 3 that year...Chicago appeared to have Dach, Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras all in the same tier for potential picks at 3...Everybody would've been off the board but Caufield at 12 or wherever they were slotted to pick that year before lottery...Caufield is a special player though and going to be a big time player for the Habs for a long time, hell of a pick by org...can't believe he even slipped to 15 with the numbers he put up leading up to the draft...

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Don't think Caufield would've made it to Montreal if Chicago didn't move up to 3 that year...Chicago appeared to have Dach, Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras all in the same tier for potential picks at 3...Everybody would've been off the board but Caufield at 12 or wherever they were slotted to pick that year before lottery...Caufield is a special player though and going to be a big time player for the Habs for a long time, hell of a pick by org...can't believe he even slipped to 15 with the numbers he put up leading up to the draft...

So what you're saying is the Habs were the 4th "lottery winner that year" thank you Chicago.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So what you're saying is the Habs were the 4th "lottery winner that year" thank you Chicago.

i just think its an intersting scenario as a hawks fan to follow because caufield likely would've been their pick at 12 and he looks like a top 5 pick at this point...feels like a sure bet to eventually be a consistent 40 goal scorer

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
i just think its an intersting scenario as a hawks fan to follow because caufield likely would've been their pick at 12 and he looks like a top 5 pick at this point...

I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago and Montreal had similar draft lists a lot of years tbh. Atleast with the NA skaters.

Bergevin was heavily involved in Chicago's drafting when he was there so I'm sure some of his strategies were developed under their culture.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Everyone knew Caufield was top 1-5 talent, but scouts and GM's like to keep their jobs. Drafting a 5'7 kid that doesnt work out has much harsher consequences than drafting safe but mediocre guys. I mean if you were drafting on pure upside without regard to floors, Caufield and Zegras would have been the first two players off the board, and that's without even doing a look-back knowing what we know now.

Moons did align for Montreal though. Perennial poor drafters Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo doing what they normally do. Yzerman smartly going off the board, Krebs injury, Caufield size, Podz Russian contract factor, Knight pushing the top 15 (deservedly), the enigma of Kaliyev, etc. Some really terrible picks in late 1st imo as well, with many gems falling way too far. Whole thing was a circus.

Yet I think 2019 draft ends up as one of the best ever.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Everyone knew Caufield was top 1-5 talent, but scouts and GM's like to keep their jobs. Drafting a 5'7 kid that doesnt work out has much harsher consequences than drafting safe but mediocre guys. I mean if you were drafting on pure upside without regard to floors, Caufield and Zegras would have been the first two players off the board, and that's without even doing a look-back knowing what we know now.

Moons did align for Montreal though. Perennial poor drafters Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo doing what they normally do. Yzerman smartly going off the board, Krebs injury, Caufield size, Podz Russian contract factor, Knight pushing the top 15 (deservedly), the enigma of Kaliyev, etc. Some really terrible picks in late 1st imo as well, with many gems falling way too far. Whole thing was a circus.

I think its something we hear more and more about the 2019 class! The top is developping but there’s a lot of great picks all through the first round. In my keeper i drafted boldy 10th, york 15(caufield gone top10) and tomasino 19. They all look to be somewhat good to great

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I don't know about best ever. Lets see how good Seider looks, but 2 years out no one has shown through as a potential franchise player on the level of some of the previous drafts of the decade. There is a lot of depth though.

Spot on about the end of the 1st though, for example, having seen Beecher a ton, him over Pinto and Kaliyev is going to be cringe worthy for the Bruins in a couple of years. And going off statistics it sure looks like the Ducks made a poor pick with Tracey letting Kaliyev fall to their rivals. I can't believe Kaliyev fell to the Kings. Imagine if the Ducks had ended up with Zegras and Kaliyev.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
One, if not best game of his career so far. He was very solid in his own end, aggressive, used his stick well, got stuck to Knights players.
Great in the offensive zone.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
his 5'7 height scared some teams away, rightfully so, as we an see, there are not many 5'7 NHLers in the NHL today let a lone the history. There are some fears that he might easily get zoned out, being a smaller player, but so far it's good for habs and good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland