F Cole Caufield (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Very poor comparison. The two players are nothing alike -- though this seems consistent with your player evaluations from what I've seen.
Reread my post, please. I never said they are similar "type" players.

I meant that they are both starting off with a ton of fanfare - with Habs fans praising them as a savior. Then, of course, Alex G was sent packing because he disappointed. I see the exact same thing happening to Caufield.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
LOL.

I never said they are similar players. I said they both started off with a ton of fanfare - with Habs fans praising them as a savior, and then Alex G was sent packing because he disappointed. I see the exact same thing happening to Caufield.

You literally stated that he was a "smaller version of Alex Galchenyuk" -- poor choice of words to say that one is a version of the other if you're not intending to draw such comparisons. Here's a simple means of communicating that: "he's overhyped."

Reactions: viceroy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You literally stated that he was a "smaller version of Alex Galchenyuk" -- poor choice of words to say that one is a version of the other if you're not intending to draw such comparisons. Here's a simple means of communicating that: "he's overhyped."
Yes, it was a poorly word.

I should have said : I see the same path forward for both players.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here's a simple means of communicating that: "he's overhyped."
Thank you for wording it perfectly.

In summary : By 2025, I'll bet the kid is playing somewhere else.

And, before I get an infraction, I'll bow out.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Yes, it was a poorly worded post. I meant I see the same path forward for both players.

Fair. I don't see the comparison (in both being overhyped). Caufield's not coming in as a savior; Suzuki and Kotkaniemi shoulder more of those expectations than Caufield.

Galchenyuk's issues included the responsibilities of a centerman and coaches that did not view him as a centerman. He struggled to develop chemistry with linemates, and he had numerous off-ice issues.

Caufield--to this point--demonstrates the enthusiasm and discipline that you want to see in young players. He has holes in his game, certainly, but he's improved in his short span as a professional (which dates only a month or two). That is, he's positionally very aware; he's raw defensively but clearly paying attention and reads the play pretty well. There's little reason to think he won't be sufficient defensively since he's demonstrated the commitment to pay attention to details, get his stick in passing lanes, etc. He's hardly been a giveaway machine as you claimed.

Most importantly, he's a natural goal scorer and finds open space--as snipers do. He'll need to improve his first few steps and his ability to compete along the boards, but those are normal areas of improvement for young rookies.

Bottom line: I think it's really early to claim he's overhyped. He's clearly a natural goal scorer and has demonstrated commitment to improve his weaknesses. That's a dangerous combination.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fair. I don't see the comparison (in both being overhyped). Caufield's not coming in as a savior; Suzuki and Kotkaniemi shoulder more of those expectations than Caufield.

Galchenyuk's issues included the responsibilities of a centerman and coaches that did not view him as a centerman. He struggled to develop chemistry with linemates, and he had numerous off-ice issues.

Caufield--to this point--demonstrates the enthusiasm and discipline that you want to see in young players. He has holes in his game, certainly, but he's improved in his short span as a professional (which dates only a month or two). That is, he's positionally very aware; he's raw defensively but clearly paying attention and reads the play pretty well. There's little reason to think he won't be sufficient defensively since he's demonstrated the commitment to pay attention to details, get his stick in passing lanes, etc. He's hardly been a giveaway machine as you claimed.

Most importantly, he's a natural goal scorer and finds open space--as snipers do. He'll need to improve his first few steps and his ability to compete along the boards, but those are normal areas of improvement for young rookies.

Bottom line: I think it's really early to claim he's overhyped. He's clearly a natural goal scorer and has demonstrated commitment to improve his weaknesses. That's a dangerous combination.
Well said.

Having said that, Hab fans need to grow a thicker skin when it comes to this kid - it's going to get tougher on Caufield, not easier.

In the meantime, as a Leaf fan, I'm rooting against him - until he gets traded. ;)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He is the most one dimensional player I've seen in years - and that's me being objective and not a rival from the other side of the 401.

Have you not watched George Laraque play?:laugh:

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Well said.

Having said that, Hab fans need to grow a thicker skin when it comes to this kid - it's going to get tougher on Caufield, not easier.

In the meantime, as a Leaf fan, I'm rooting against him - until he gets traded. ;)
Oh so bottom line, you're just a Leafs fan who hopes he doesn't succeed cause you do not want him to hurt you're team

Must be rougj for yoi to chear for a team that has no sould, is stuck to the cap, np good prospect, and only 4 years before your best player bolts to Arizona!

Enjoy!

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Montreal fans are over hyping this kid is a BIG way...

* He is a liability when he's not scoring.
* He's a giveaway machine.
* He can't play D.
* He's easily pushed off the puck.

He's had a ton of PP minutes and he's scored 1 goal in the playoffs - and that was a gimme because the Vegas players ignored him after he whiffed on the first shot.

He is smaller version of Alex Galchenyuk - remember how good he was going to be after his rookie season?

It's clear that you are either biased against the kid or have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe it's a bit of both...

Last edited:

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Montreal fans are over hyping this kid is a BIG way...

* He is a liability when he's not scoring.
* He's a giveaway machine.
* He can't play D.
* He's easily pushed off the puck.

He's had a ton of PP minutes and he's scored 1 goal in the playoffs - and that was a gimme because the Vegas players ignored him after he whiffed on the first shot.

He is smaller version of Alex Galchenyuk - remember how good he was going to be after his rookie season?
Please what can you tell me about Nic Robertson ?

Reactions: Samhockey3

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Amazing player thus far. The trolling is annoying, actually. I'm rooting against the Habs in most games, but how can you not appreciate how dynamic this guy is out the gate as a hockey fan?

Being extremely talented offensively does not mean you are 'one dimensional.' There are many 'dimensions' within the offensive and transition part of the game.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Amazing player thus far. The trolling is annoying, actually. I'm rooting against the Habs in most games, but how can you not appreciate how dynamic this guy is out the gate as a hockey fan?

Being extremely talented offensively does not mean you are 'one dimensional.' There are many 'dimensions' within the offensive and transition part of the game.
agreed, you can always tell when a player gets to the show and has that ability to find space, Caufield has it a ton, suzuki a lot. Bodes really well longer term and is great for the game as well that talented small guys can come in and make an impact in the playoffs

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If we are to assume he stays the same defensively and stagnates, I can see that could happen. He can also improve on the defensive side and progress from this midseason rookie showing.

Personally would want a bigger 2way LW to cover his flaws in defensive zone/board play to maximize strengths. Poaching Hyman from Leafs and running a Hyman - Suzuki - Caufield line would be great.

You mean like Tyler Toffoli? Bigger 2 way winger

Reactions: Saxon

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You mean like Tyler Toffoli? Bigger 2 way winger

Nope, next season I'd put Toffoli on Kotkaniemi's line. Toffoli literally has been scoring regardless who he's playing with and this can be a potential secondary offensive threat. Danault-Gallagher could be that hard matchup duo.

I mean someone who can do puck retrieval/board battles/net presence to create that extra space so Caufield/Suzuki can work their magic.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Nope, next season I'd put Toffoli on Kotkaniemi's line. Toffoli literally has been scoring regardless who he's playing with and this can be a potential secondary offensive threat. Danault-Gallagher could be that hard matchup duo.

I mean someone who can do puck retrieval/board battles/net presence to create that extra space so Caufield/Suzuki can work their magic.

Gotcha, I'd take a run at Brandon Saad tbh. Think he'll be cheaper than Hyman and was one of MB's Chicago boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad