F Cole Caufield (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
just happy he got drafted to an Eastern team. Phew that was close. Imagine him on the Avalanche or something, Yeesh.
To the Avs or the Oilers… think about the disgusting passes from Mack, Rantanen, McJesus or Drai.. THINK ABOUT IT.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Montreal fans are over hyping this kid is a BIG way...

* He is a liability when he's not scoring.
* He's a giveaway machine.
* He can't play D.
* He's easily pushed off the puck.
from a Leafs fan...
he can shoot
he can score
he's not intimidated
he will learn the rest
it doesnt matter what team a player is on, if they are good, they are good.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To the Avs or the Oilers… think about the disgusting passes from Mack, Rantanen, McJesus or Drai.. THINK ABOUT IT.
This is why i was shocked Edmonton didn't select him. At the time of the draft he was just a pure goal scorer. The knock on him was that he needed a creative C to feed him biscuits, was slow and way too small.

What everybody overlooked is that he got stronger, faster and is an underrated passer playmaker which is why he is prominent on the Habs right now. He should never have fallen to 15. He was made for Edmonton with McDavid/Drai feeding him the puck and big forwards to insulate him.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
He was awful in the world juniors against inferior competition. His success in the NHL in the same calendar year has caught me completely off guard. Good for him! Easy to root for short guys in a tall mans league.

Reactions: Trojans86

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was awful in the world juniors against inferior competition. His success in the NHL in the same calendar year has caught me completely off guard. Good for him! Easy to root for short guys in a tall mans league.

Forget the WJHC's (where he contributed to a gold medal). His Hobey Baker season with Wisconsin was off the charts. It was in Eichel territory.

If the WJHC's are the only measure of a player's potential and you knock Cole on his performances. Then by similar logic you have to consider Romanov and Poehling to be future NHL superstars by virtue of the MVP performances.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
This is why i was shocked Edmonton didn't select him. At the time of the draft he was just a pure goal scorer. The knock on him was that he needed a creative C to feed him biscuits, was slow and way too small.

What everybody overlooked is that he got stronger, faster and is an underrated passer playmaker which is why he is prominent on the Habs right now. He should never have fallen to 15. He was made for Edmonton with McDavid/Drai feeding him the puck and big forwards to insulate him.

Edmonton's management is so putrid it's beyond laughable.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
My opinion of him hasn't really changed. Similar to my tldr on the Stankoven thread where I rant about the value of defense vs the value of individual offense, for me it's never a question of whether or not he will score points. He doesn't really synergize with the way I view the game. He's a player who needs to be in a situation like he is in at Montreal right now where the only ask of him is that he will score points. He brings what I call "gratuitous offense." And it is something that's nice to have, and perhaps even necessary in some situations. But what's making the Habs run work right now isn't Caufield. To be fair to him, he's absolutely doing his job, he's doing it well, he's fulfilling his role. But Montreal hasn't been winning because of their tremendous offense. And I think that'd be the wrong moral of the story to take away from this finals run. What has made this Montreal team work is the top 4 on the defense, Weber Chiarot, Petry Edmundson, in addition to two wonderful two-way centermen who lead forwards in TOI, Danault and Suzuki, with solid goaltending as well from Price.

There have been a lot of small players who could score a lot of points, but for example, I think Alex Debrincat got really unlucky. The Chicago Blackhawks once did have a tremendous blue line when they made the cup runs, with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya and of course the Selke winner Jonathan Toews. But by the time Debrincat arrived two were a bit over the hill, and two were never truly replaced. Debrincat hasn't ever really struggled to score, but it's also never really made a difference. They don't have the blue line to reasonably contend in the near future, he could score PPG, he could score PPG and a half. I don't think it would make much of a difference. Contrast that with Johnny Gaudreau, I don't think he's ever had a championship caliber blue line, he's had some brilliant offensive seasons, it hasn't really made a difference. Caufield will probably score as much as those guys. Perhaps even a little more, I mean those guys score so much already that asking for much more is asking for a lot.

Montreal's priority needs to be resigning Danault, which I think (?) he really wants to return so that shouldn't be hard. And then retaining their blue line, which we'll have to see how the expansion draft affects that. Bergevin did a really good job in scouting defensemen, because I both really liked Chiarot in Winnipeg's Semifinal run and Edmundson in the Blues Cup run, even thought they played smaller roles at the time he really did a fantastic job of talent identification. Maybe if they lose one to expansion or a contract runs out, or something else happens, he can find another equally good option to replace them. It will be harder than most people think. And there's also the potential that Weber and Petry are eventually affected by age. But I think, if Bergevin isn't able to manage these moving parts, Caufield could, and probably will, score 80 points a season for the next 10 years and never get as close to the cup as he is now.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
My opinion of him hasn't really changed. Similar to my tldr on the Stankoven thread where I rant about the value of defense vs the value of individual offense, for me it's never a question of whether or not he will score points. He doesn't really synergize with the way I view the game. He's a player who needs to be in a situation like he is in at Montreal right now where the only ask of him is that he will score points. He brings what I call "gratuitous offense." And it is something that's nice to have, and perhaps even necessary in some situations. But what's making the Habs run work right now isn't Caufield. To be fair to him, he's absolutely doing his job, he's doing it well, he's fulfilling his role. But Montreal hasn't been winning because of their tremendous offense. And I think that'd be the wrong moral of the story to take away from this finals run. What has made this Montreal team work is the top 4 on the defense, Weber Chiarot, Petry Edmundson, in addition to two wonderful two-way centermen who lead forwards in TOI, Danault and Suzuki, with solid goaltending as well from Price.

There have been a lot of small players who could score a lot of points, but for example, I think Alex Debrincat got really unlucky. The Chicago Blackhawks once did have a tremendous blue line when they made the cup runs, with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya and of course the Selke winner Jonathan Toews. But by the time Debrincat arrived two were a bit over the hill, and two were never truly replaced. Debrincat hasn't ever really struggled to score, but it's also never really made a difference. They don't have the blue line to reasonably contend in the near future, he could score PPG, he could score PPG and a half. I don't think it would make much of a difference. Contrast that with Johnny Gaudreau, I don't think he's ever had a championship caliber blue line, he's had some brilliant offensive seasons, it hasn't really made a difference. Caufield will probably score as much as those guys. Perhaps even a little more, I mean those guys score so much already that asking for much more is asking for a lot.

Montreal's priority needs to be resigning Danault, which I think (?) he really wants to return so that shouldn't be hard. And then retaining their blue line, which we'll have to see how the expansion draft affects that. Bergevin did a really good job in scouting defensemen, because I both really liked Chiarot in Winnipeg's Semifinal run and Edmundson in the Blues Cup run, even thought they played smaller roles at the time he really did a fantastic job of talent identification. Maybe if they lose one to expansion or a contract runs out, or something else happens, he can find another equally good option to replace them. It will be harder than most people think. And there's also the potential that Weber and Petry are eventually affected by age. But I think, if Bergevin isn't able to manage these moving parts, Caufield could, and probably will, score 80 points a season for the next 10 years and never get as close to the cup as he is now.

TL;DR; Caufield is a goalscorer, not a two-way center or a defenseman. More news at 11

People are also underselling his defensive game, he's a lot better than I expected. He has a lot of hustle and is sometimes the one caught back because Tofoli and Suzuki are pressing in the offensive zone, that shows a lot of trust in Caufield.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

He wasn't awful. Maybe underperformed a bit but he was a contributor. Also, never use WJC success or failure as a harbinger for NHL success or lack thereof.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
his 5'7 height scared some teams away, rightfully so, as we an see, there are not many 5'7 NHLers in the NHL today let a lone the history. There are some fears that he might easily get zoned out, being a smaller player, but so far it's good for habs and good for them.
Henri Richard?

11 Cups...

And he was not a passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad