F Cole Caufield (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
Montreal fans are over hyping this kid is a BIG way...

* He is a liability when he's not scoring.
* He's a giveaway machine.
* He can't play D.
* He's easily pushed off the puck.
Stupid take.

Kid is 19 years old, he's got more playoff games than regular season.
He's also a total -1 against 3 highly powered offensive teams playing 15 mins a night.

The bud is just fine.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
We all knew about his shot, what many of us weren't aware of was the kid's brain. His offensive IQ is unbelievable; one of the most unpredictable offensive players I have ever seen.

He's still absorbing information at this point about NHL defense, once he figures out what he can and can't do, look out.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
It's truly bizarre the reaction that this guy gets from certain people here. I've been on this site for over 2 decades and I am struggling to think of another player that has ever drawn this kind of weird unwarranted scorn. This guy scores a goal and it's the credit of the guy making the pass, then when he is dishing out primary assists in huge moments it is the credit of the guy scoring the goal. Even people who I think are really good and quality posters just have some bizarre ridiculous opinions of him that I have never seen them have on any other prospect on any other team. I think it's because so many people are hardwired in their thinking on what an NHL player should look like. It's not entirely different when than when these new types of NFL QB's came in. People were just so set in their ways thinking that an NFL QB had to be a 6'4 drop back passer that they refused to realize until the bitter end that there was a place in the league for guys like Russell Wilson and for guys like Lamar Jackson. Who like Caufield were passed over in their drafts for guys who will never have the type of impact in the league that they did.

When he was drafted people questioned how he would do in the NCAA, one of the NHL's premier feeder leagues. He scored point per game as a freshman and had a historical season as a 19/20 year old sophomore. People still doubted and said the pro game would eat him up, then he went to the AHL and just looked completely out of place in the two games (in a good way). He went to the NHL and scored 4 times in his first 10 games, the narrative then became that he wouldn't be able to do it in the playoffs, where again he would supposedly be eaten alive by bigger and stronger competition. He jumps into that series with Toronto and completely changes the dynamic of the Habs team (even the Leafs admitted it after the series). Then these people change their tune to the competition, saying that no one in the North division played any defense and that he would again be eaten alive by bigger and stronger players in this Vegas series, here we are 3 games in and he has a 2-1-3 line in the three games against a non-North team. Now the new excuse is apparently going to be that it's not sustainable and that he will be eaten alive over an 82 game schedule. How many kids in their D+2 who play on a 1st line and have produced at the pace he has currently produced at fall off a cliff and fizzle out? I know there are examples of some who have, but the vast vast majority of players who come into the league and look this good thing young continue on to be impact players. This is a factual statement, even the people who continue to doubt him would agree with that, but they think the rules are different here with this player, again I think because they just can't fathom that a player of his size could possibly be an impact NHL player, there is just no other reason I can think of. I would have thought DeBrincat's success (and I think he's an inferior talent to CC) would have maybe changed some minds, but I don't think we are there yet.

Props to you, you are capable of doing something many on this forum are not able to do.

These two words will clearly explain the unwarrented scorn you speak of: Habs player.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Big changes with skating/speed, strength and overall management of the game. The most underrated part of Cole's game is his passing and vision.
Absolutely. At the draft many had him billed as a 1 dimensional player that was only good at finding the back of the net with puck on his stick.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Thing is, Caufield is exactly the player Leafs need to succeed in playoffs.
I don’t think so. They need a grinder. A Tkachuk. Less finesse more power. That’s not a knock on Caufield. Teams need players like him, but TO is the last team to need a player like that.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don’t think so. They need a grinder. A Tkachuk. Less finesse more power. That’s not a knock on Caufield. Teams need players like him, but TO is the last team to need a player like that.

... Seems to me they could've used a guy who scores 2 points every three game with 15mins/game of icetime.

Oct 18, 2011
Montreal fans are over hyping this kid is a BIG way...

* He is a liability when he's not scoring.
* He's a giveaway machine.
* He can't play D.
* He's easily pushed off the puck.
We regularly see overreaction to a young players performance in the playoffs and expectations get to high

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Habs let Caufield played 2 years in college and he made big improvement with his skating. Smart move.

This is a point that is getting overlooked in the Caufield discussions and how good he has been so fast. CC wanted to go pro after last season and Marc Bergevin and his staff made the correct decision and told him to return to school and get better. A decision that a less intelligent GM like Rob Blake could not make when his player who was the same age from the same draft and the same team came to him with the same request.

Is CC this good this fast in these playoffs if he foregoes the dominant season he had at UW this season and instead is 19/20 year old kid riding buses in the AHL? The historical evidence of other players says that no, he probably isn't having a playoffs like this without the dominant D+2 season in college.

McAvoy (2017), Makar (2019), Caufield (2021), Knight (2021) just within the last few years. You would think GM's would eventually figure it out, but I'm not optimistic that all of our UM guys return next season even though all of their developments would be much better off dominating the NCAA than riding buses in the AHL. Some NHL GM's have this weird obsession with "Getting the guys in our system" despite the overwhelming evidence that the AHL is a less desirable place for a young player to grow and develop than the NCAA.

But again, props to Bergevin and happy that he gets almost instant results from his brilliant decision last spring. It very well may result in his team winning the Stanley Cup as I'm not sure Montreal gets by Vegas without Caufield's play in that series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad