Speculation: Expansion draft protected list

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
When is all this going to happen? Are the Las Vegas team going to be able to pick their team on a specific date? Will they have an AHL affiliate?

What are the chances of actually getting a decent team out of this? I remember nashville and minnesota were pretty terrible the first years...also atlanta

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When is all this going to happen? Are the Las Vegas team going to be able to pick their team on a specific date? Will they have an AHL affiliate?

What are the chances of actually getting a decent team out of this? I remember nashville and minnesota were pretty terrible the first tears...also atlanta

June 21, 2017 is the date of the expansion draft.'

E: now that I have a lil more time - Yes they will have an AHL team, nothing is concrete yet but I know there was speculation of the Blue affiliate the Chicago Wolves at one point. No the odds are high that they will be bottom feeders for a couple years.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It'll come out. Not like the players and other people in the front office won't know. Too many outlets for stuff like this not to become known.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Yea, there'll be leaks. I doubt all 30 lists get leaked, but at least some will. This is the same stance the league had in past expansions, and I'm fairly certain stuff got out.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
What are the chances of actually getting a decent team out of this? I remember nashville and minnesota were pretty terrible the first years...also atlanta

not to mention columbus.

i expect they'll quickly be able to ice a slightly more competitive team than most recent expansion sides, especially if they make better entry draft picks than patrik stefan and are able to choose good players who are available to them because they are saddled with a bad contract.

case in point, if vegas took jimmy howard. recent first season expansion teams' netminders are: the preds (dunham, vokoun) thrashers (maracle, rhodes, langkow, fankhouser, tabaracci) blue jackets (tugnutt, denis), wild (fernandez, mcclennan).
howard is far superior to how good any of those guys were at that time. not saying they will take him, just illustrating how this time around it will be slightly easier to get quality via the expansion draft.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Expose every horid contract, LV isnt taking Abby on that deal they arent that dumb so why protect him???

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Guys, I think Holland really likes Abby and thinks the contract is good. That's why he signed him to it. He doesn't see it as a boat anchor that we do.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Guys, I think Holland really likes Abby and thinks the contract is good. That's why he signed him to it. He doesn't see it as a boat anchor that we do.

Exactly. And Blabhill said he liked Abby's BIG HIT whether it gets him suspended or not. That's how desperate The Blabber is.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Any other team would have a talk with Kronwall and say something like "Listen, we are going to leave you exposed in the ED. It's not a performance thing, it's not a dirty move, it's just purely strategic for the future of the team. We know that they are out for the best contracts and young players possible, and they won't be after you. We still want you to be a leader and contributor on this team."

But Holland will probably waste a spot on him. Like others said, it's about respect. If Dan Cleary was on an NHL deal, I bet Kenny would protect him as well.

All I know is that if Ouellet gets chosen because of a move like that, I will be royally pissed. Kid is one of the very few bright spots on D this year. He's not a superstar, but he has been consistent.

This is a great opportunity to get rid of a bad contract. Not about respect or tradition or gentleman deals. Holland had a good trade deadline, he should strive to at least end the year on a high note.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This holds just as true for Darren Helm.

If true, that's a pretty huge flaw. In a capped league you have to be able to valuate players better than this. And if it comes down to we can't separate the player from the person, then we need to find a way to fundamentally change that in the front office.

Really shouldn't matter what state you are from, and if you have a relationship with their fiance or not. Run this thing like a business, or find someone who will.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If you leave Sheahan unprotected, that's who Vegas takes for sure. If you protect him then Vegas probably has no choice to take one of our bad contracts unless they go for Jensen, Sproul or some AHL scrub.

Both Helm and Abdelkader should be left unprotected. But one, or both will be protected. I think Holland makes a trade before the ED and either moves Sheahan or one of Nyquist/Tatar.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I just read an article about the 12 players likely to be drafted by Vegas, and that article speculates that AA will be left unprotected and chosen by Vegas.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just read an article about the 12 players likely to be drafted by Vegas, and that article speculates that AA will be left unprotected and chosen by Vegas.

Holland would deservedly be ripped for that.

If you leave Sheahan unprotected, that's who Vegas takes for sure. If you protect him then Vegas probably has no choice to take one of our bad contracts unless they go for Jensen, Sproul or some AHL scrub.

Both Helm and Abdelkader should be left unprotected. But one, or both will be protected. I think Holland makes a trade before the ED and either moves Sheahan or one of Nyquist/Tatar.

That's what I'm expecting, too. The only way a hard decision is made at the expansion draft is if Holland is backed into it by being unable to make any other move.

It's what sort of makes me doubt the rumors of Sheahan being courted hot and heavy at the TDL, too. Knowing what's coming up, moving Sheahan for whatever he could get at that point makes a lot of sense unless Holland plans on protecting him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Holland is planning on leaving AA unprotected why would he have been asking for equal aged top pairing defenseman for him when teams inquired about him?

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016

I'd say that is ridiculous, but unfortunately I can't. I do doubt that he will be exposed, but you never know with Kenny "we like our team" Holland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad