Speculation: Expansion draft protected list

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have a hard time imagining Sheahan really has much trade value at this point (a soft inconsistent FO guy with no [current] offensive ability?), but I don't think there's any real point in protecting Glendening, other than that you have to protect someone.

I do, too, but there was a lot of smoke around the TDL that Holland was getting offers for him. Frankly, even if he doesn't have trade value now, his contract isn't as bad some others and he has the potential to either make us want to keep him or to rebuild his trade value a bit.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So lets say this is how we protect our Forwards:

1) Neilsen (NMC)
2) Zetterberg (Ya i know he is old and unlikely to be picked, but risking the recapture is high, and i think Holland protects him, so realistically he is probably protected)
3) Nyquist
4) Tatar
5) Mantha
6) AA

This leaves 1 Spot: (Larkin=Exempt)

ASSUMING the above list is right:

Who is #7 (who do you protect?)

Abdelkader or Helm.

(Not just who is better, maybe also who is more likely to be claimed? If you are a hope to lose one of these contracts type person)

probably exposed for sure:
Sheahan
Glendening
Miller

I agree with your first 6 protection slots as the likely outcome. I also agree with One Blurred Eye's analysis that Helm is the more desirable asset to Vegas and believe Holland will also see this. Further, I don't believe that Holland actively wants out of the Helm or Abby contracts. Thus, I conclude that Helm we be protected and Holland will hope that the Abby contract will be undesirable enough that he goes unclaimed.

My recent tinfoil hat conspiracy is that Holland deliberately overpaid Helm/Abby so he could protect them via an undesirable contract :naughty:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I do, too, but there was a lot of smoke around the TDL that Holland was getting offers for him. Frankly, even if he doesn't have trade value now, his contract isn't as bad some others and he has the potential to either make us want to keep him or to rebuild his trade value a bit.

Definitely don't disagree - I'd rather keep him for 1 year @ $2m than keep the Abs or Helm deals, even if he has negative trade value. And, I guess, a big, young C probably has more value on those attributes alone than I'm giving him credit for.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Definitely don't disagree - I'd rather keep him for 1 year @ $2m than keep the Abs or Helm deals, even if he has negative trade value. And, I guess, a big, young C probably has more value on those attributes alone than I'm giving him credit for.

I just think NHL coaches like players like Sheahan more than most fans think, even though they won't set the world on fire offensively. Now the exact amount of trade value (and whether he has more value to the Wings) is a different topic of discussion, but I do think he has some trade value notwithstanding his god awful season.

In terms of Helm v. Abby. I think Helm gets exposed. I have always clung to the unsubstantiated theory that Kenny signed Helm as a bit of a panic move because he genuinely thought he would be trading multiple roster forwards for a defensemen after the free agency period and he was worried about having sufficient depth. I think Holland and Martin always viewed the expansion draft as a way out from under Helm's contract.

Everything about the timing and terms of Abby's signing suggests that he is the one that Holland really, really wanted long term (pun intended).

Now watch me be totally wrong on this...

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I protect Sheahan. I think it's unlikely one of Helm/Gator get picked regardless, and if they do, we lose a poor contract. Sheahan's deal isn't as bad and the ability to play 3C is still there, despite the lousy season. We also have Z, Nielsen, and Larkin in our lineup who could play center, and Glendening could move up if really pressed for it.

Sheahan has sucked for the past 3 seasons and to protect him would be stupid as hell.

I don't have as big of a problem with Helm's contract as many do on here and the fact that people say he has no value makes me laugh.

if I was going to expose anyone else it would be Abdelkader.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sheahan has sucked for the past 3 seasons and to protect him would be stupid as hell.

I don't have as big of a problem with Helm's contract as many do on here and the fact that people say he has no value makes me laugh.

if I was going to expose anyone else it would be Abdelkader.

4394044-images.jpg

I've been far from Sheahan's biggest fan, but three years ago he put up 36 points in 79 games, and was a solid player. Last year he slid into the pure bottom6er I think he is, and this year has been an unmitigated disaster, but he hasn't sucked for three years and by all appearances he was still generating interest at the trade deadline.

I could get an argument for protecting Helm instead, but there's no reason to play Sheahan out as being any worse than he is just to make such an argument. Everyone knows how bad Sheahan's been.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I agree, Sheahan should be exposed. And if I'm not mistaken, they can place Jared Coreau out there? I would like to protect Jensen, however.

The Red Wings can only protect one goalie and yes, Coreau is eligible to be taken, but who would take him instead of Mrazek/Howard?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Z, Tatr, Gus, AA, Mantha, FN and Helm, leave Abby exposed since I am not a fan. D protect Green, Jensen and XO. I would like Sproul but he has not played enough to evaluate him. DD not sure he would be claimed but I am not a fan of him and his contract. Goalies- protect the younger Mrazek. Howard has looked good and I like him but he money off the books would help.

Harambae

Sep 17, 2016
I think sheahan might actually be a good target for vegas. I dont see detroit trying that desperately to protect him

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
You protect Sheahan so there's no obvious player for Vegas to take and almost force them to take one of our bad contracts.

Wouldn't surprise to see Vegas take Jensen or Ouellet whoever is left exposed.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Expansion draft

Forwards:(assuming no trades prior to ED)
Zetts/Neilsen/AA/Mantha/Nyquist/Tatar/Helm

Defense:
Green/XO/Jensen

Goal:
Mrazek

I'm not a religious man, but I'm praying that Holland can make a deal with LV that the Knights take Ericsson(incentive could be 2 of our 4 third rounders). I'm convinced that Holland can move Howard, with 50% retained($2.65 mil)to one of Philly/Dallas/Winnipeg/Carolina. With the exception of Bishop, the UFA tender class this year(to me anyway) is meh. Howard's 1.91 GA and Sv% of .935 leads the league for tenders with more than 20 games played.

One more wish: DO NOT sign any UFAs other than McIlrath(for depth in G.R.)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
With the way Howard has played, any chance you guys think Holland would protect him?

It's certainly not as easy of a decision as it would've been when Mrazek was playing well.

Now it's either go with a 33 year-old injury-prone goalie who's playing great but isn't on a great contract. Or expose him and roll the dice on your 25 year old goalie who's played like garbage most of the season.

I still think you expose Howard and hope for the best. It's not like the only thing holding the Wings back is solid goaltending.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
It's certainly not as easy of a decision as it would've been when Mrazek was playing well.

Now it's either go with a 33 year-old injury-prone goalie who's playing great but isn't on a great contract. Or expose him and roll the dice on your 25 year old goalie who's played like garbage most of the season.

I still think you expose Howard and hope for the best. It's not like the only thing holding the Wings back is solid goaltending.

I think the decision should be clear to expose Howard, I like that he's playing well and all but like you said, he is an injury prone 33 year old goalie on a bad contract. I'm more concerned that Holland is gonna be Holland I guess.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's a great opportunity to get rid of one or all of Abby Helm Howard Erickson I hope Holland uses it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's an impossibility to get rid of all with this opportunity, but get it done or you're trash Holland!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think the decision should be clear to expose Howard, I like that he's playing well and all but like you said, he is an injury prone 33 year old goalie on a bad contract. I'm more concerned that Holland is gonna be Holland I guess.

I'm afraid that is a very legitimate concern on your part.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's an impossibility to get rid of all with this opportunity, but get it done or you're trash Holland!

It's not Hollands fault if someone doesn't get picked other than it would go to show how bad the contracts are that he handed out.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting. "You are under performing so badly for what you are paid we feel confident exposing you so we can protect our prospects"

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not Hollands fault if someone doesn't get picked other than it would go to show how bad the contracts are that he handed out.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting. "You are under performing so badly for what you are paid we feel confident exposing you so we can protect our prospects"

I'm just curious as to what you meant by great opportunity to get rid of all these contracts.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I think sheahan might actually be a good target for vegas. I dont see detroit trying that desperately to protect him

Sheahan would be perfect in Vegas.
He's perfect here too( so far).

They'd love him at the crap table.
He'd never hit his number.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I expect that Vegas is going to select Glendening and we'll all groan about what could have been if only they had taken Helm, Abdelkader or Howard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad