Speculation: Expansion draft protected list

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Helm is the answer. His deal can be stomached by them and he's a youngish veteran to transition their ragtag team.

Expose him, let him go.

Then we'll just reacquire him shortly after ala Doug Brown :laugh:

Certainly different contracts. But I never understood that trade.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Helm is the answer. His deal can be stomached by them and he's a youngish veteran to transition their ragtag team.

Expose him, let him go.

Pretty sure I proposed this theory last summer in the Helm Re-Signing Thread, but part of me is still convinced that the reason Helm got the long-term, high-salary contract (for his worth) was because Holland put the Expansion Draft on the table as a contingency during those negotiations. In other words: "If you want this much money for 5 years, then you have to accept that we're going to expose you in the Vegas Expansion Draft." And Helm took the deal, knowing that he was going to be making an above-market salary for at least 4 years, regardless of whether it was with Detroit, Vegas, or whichever team he was pin-balled to. I think he just ultimately wanted the long-term deal with whichever team but Holland gave him the money he wanted to boot because he (Holland) thought it would be a boon to the Wings continuing their playoff streak.

Then we'll just reacquire him shortly after ala Doug Brown :laugh:

Certainly different contracts. But I never understood that trade.

Hey, I was young back then, but I liked Doug Brown. :(

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Z, Mantha, AA, Tats, Nyquist, Sheahan, Nielson
DD, XO, Green
Mrazek

Shaha sucks but he only sucks for 1 more year. Abby, Kronner, howard, helm, big e, and Glenny all have terrible long term contacts. I'd be over the moon to lose one of abby or Helm.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Z, Mantha, AA, Tats, Nyquist, Sheahan, Nielson
DD, XO, Green
Mrazek

Shaha sucks but he only sucks for 1 more year. Abby, Kronner, howard, helm, big e, and Glenny all have terrible long term contacts. I'd be over the moon to lose one of abby or Helm.

Kronner and Howard only have 2 more years here respectfully how are those considered terrible long term contracts. The rest i agree with you.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Kronner and Howard only have 2 more years here respectfully how are those considered terrible long term contracts. The rest i agree with you.

I have a feeling we protect Jensen. It better not be at the expense of Ouellet though. If Dekeyser is left unprotected, I highly doubt Vegas takes him and his contract. Could be risky, but I bet it would pay off.

I think either Helm or Sheahan will get selected. If we leave Jensen vulnerable, he would be added to my list as well.

Protect: Z, Nielsen, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, AA, Abdelkader (I don't think Holland risks losing Abby)

Green, Ouellet, Jensen

Mrazek

Possible picks:
-Helm
-Sheahan
-LGD
-Dekeyser
-Howard

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I have a feeling we protect Jensen. It better not be at the expense of Ouellet though. If Dekeyser is left unprotected, I highly doubt Vegas takes him and his contract. Could be risky, but I bet it would pay off.

I think either Helm or Sheahan will get selected. If we leave Jensen vulnerable, he would be added to my list as well.

Protect: Z, Nielsen, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, AA, Abdelkader (I don't think Holland risks losing Abby)

Green, Ouellet, Jensen

Mrazek

Possible picks:
-Helm
-Sheahan
-LGD
-Dekeyser
-Howard

I think Hell freezes over before Holland leaves Dekeyser unprotected.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think Hell freezes over before Holland leaves Dekeyser unprotected.

Ya, thinking more about it you may be right. If they did claim him, our D would be an absolute mess. Our D would be New Jersey Devils bad without Dekeyser.

I just have a feeling the organization has fallen in love with Jensen, and will want to protect him. I personally prefer Ouellet to Jensen, so it would be a mistake to expose Ouellet.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I could see Holland trading picks to Vegas for them to not take someone. If he does it for Jensen/Ouellet I can live with it. If he does for Sheahan, Glendening, Abdelkader, Helm, Kronwall, Ericsson or Howard then :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'd like to think Holland moves Sheahan before the ED rather than leave him unprotected, if he really wants to protect one of Helm/Abby so bad.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I personally dont see why you protect Abdelkader and Dekeyser unless you have no better options to protect. I wouldnt even particularly be interested in protecting Nielsen if it came down to it.

Its all well and good to have a number of seat warmers. But those three have long contracts on a rebuilding team and are not huge difference makers.

Despite Howard clearly being better than Mrazek this year, I'd probably still protect Mrazek as well. I think Mrazek will rebound. Hes still worthy of a starters position and Howard isnt getting any younger/healthier.

I selected DeKeyser because I think thats what Holland will do. If it was me i'd leave DK unprotected and save XO, Jensen and Green.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I just realized tonight the draft lists will be made public on June 18th! Why did the league change their mind on public or not? I'm glad they did it will definitely allow fans insight to the decisions the teams make. I imagine Holland would have liked them private and I fully plan on having a chuckle when we get the list.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Our expansion draft list is going to read like a coroner's autopsy report.

Cause of death: total blockage of the salary cap artery.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I just realized tonight the draft lists will be made public on June 18th! Why did the league change their mind on public or not? I'm glad they did it will definitely allow fans insight to the decisions the teams make. I imagine Holland would have liked them private and I fully plan on having a chuckle when we get the list.

Pretty sure the ED is being televised. Making the lists public is basically throwing a bone to whatever network(s) are airing it. There'll be more discussions amongst the panel beforehand.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
I could see Holland trading picks to Vegas for them to not take someone. If he does it for Jensen/Ouellet I can live with it. If he does for Sheahan, Glendening, Abdelkader, Helm, Kronwall, Ericsson or Howard then :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'd like to think Holland moves Sheahan before the ED rather than leave him unprotected, if he really wants to protect one of Helm/Abby so bad.

It's been said explicitly that you can't make trades to protect players or to have LV take a bad contract off your hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad