Speculation: Expansion draft protected list

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm just curious as to what you meant by great opportunity to get rid of all these contracts.

Can they only take one player? I was hoping they could pick them all maybe luck out and get rid of Hollands contracts so the next GM could start fresh.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
For me...

Fowards: Zetterberg, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Athanasiou, Mantha, Abdelkader.
Defense: DeKeyser, Green, Ouellet.
Goalie: Mrazek.

You would have to make some sort of trade with Vegas for them to not take Jensen and then kinda hope they take Ericsson or Helm. I dont think they will take Howard just because the rumours that they want Fleury plus there could always be better options. I just hope Vegas takes one of our bad contracts, preferably Helm. Not that Helm is a bad player by any stretch, but that contract isnt justified.

I'm just scared of who Holland might protect and who might be exposed.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The mocks I saw today almost universally had Vegas selecting Hagelin from Pittsburgh.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The mocks I saw today almost universally had Vegas selecting Hagelin from Pittsburgh.

The 4 ESPN analysts were Helm, Sheanhan (x2), and Glendening.

Yea it's ESPN but they obviously were unanimous in our protection of all the kids(forwards)... Kinda obvious Holland isn't going to expose AA and Mantha though.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The teams give their list to the league who passes it to LVK. They don't tell the media. Does anyone know if the team's management even tells their players? I mean, if you don't tell the players, there is only 1 guy disappointed that he has to leave. If you tell all of the players, there may be bad feelings because they were on the list. I think I wouldn't tell the players - maybe just the long time vets

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Uhhhhhh...it is?

I'm about as critical of Holland as possible and there's no way he exposes Athanasiou or Mantha. I dont' know what the rules are for guys with less than X games or seasons as NHL'ers. Yes, he signed Helm and Abby to awful contracts, that's one way to guarantee you can expose them to the expansion draft and feel confident they will not be selected.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
For me...

Fowards: Zetterberg, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Athanasiou, Mantha, Abdelkader.
Defense: DeKeyser, Green, Ouellet.
Goalie: Mrazek.

I personally dont see why you protect Abdelkader and Dekeyser unless you have no better options to protect. I wouldnt even particularly be interested in protecting Nielsen if it came down to it.

Its all well and good to have a number of seat warmers. But those three have long contracts on a rebuilding team and are not huge difference makers.

Despite Howard clearly being better than Mrazek this year, I'd probably still protect Mrazek as well. I think Mrazek will rebound. Hes still worthy of a starters position and Howard isnt getting any younger/healthier.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I agree. I don't think that's certain either. Holland and Blashole messed with both those guys all season. I'm not convinced Holland exposes Abby or Helm. They have "stock".

Yes.

I'm about as critical of Holland as possible and there's no way he exposes Athanasiou or Mantha. I dont' know what the rules are for guys with less than X games or seasons as NHL'ers. Yes, he signed Helm and Abby to awful contracts, that's one way to guarantee you can expose them to the expansion draft and feel confident they will not be selected.

I'm on the other side of that. Nepotism. On a side note, I've been introduced to RTJ. Love em.

Yes it is. If nothing else they sell jerseys and play the kinda games that will bring in fans even when the team blows.

That's the point, they don't want the team to blow, and the vets win games. So they say.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Keep being sad about it, but it won't happen.

Holland isn't going to let 25+ goal scoring potential go

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not sad about anything. I'm just adjusted to the way the organization works.

I hope I'm wrong and they change.

That's well and good and you can have your opinion, but I'm gonna go ahead and think Holland would try to get value out of a player being inquired about at the tdl before he is going to let's him go for free 5 months later during a lost season. You guys just like to exaggerate how terrible kh is.

Last edited:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
They will be made public

NHL Public Relations‏Verified account @PR_NHL 20m20 minutes ago

UPDATE: Protected & Available Lists for Expansion Draft will be made public simultaneously with their distribution to the Clubs. Date TBD.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
They will be made public

NHL Public Relations‏Verified account @PR_NHL 20m20 minutes ago

UPDATE: Protected & Available Lists for Expansion Draft will be made public simultaneously with their distribution to the Clubs. Date TBD.

Thanks...that's business

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Agreed. As critical of Holland as logical and him exposing them makes zero sense. He's overly loyal and optimistic about this team but he isn't going to expose young, tools, productive players. As many times as I've called Holland this out of anger, he isn't a moron.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
When it comes to the protected list, I protect as many forwards as needed to leave Abby, Sheahan, and Helm exposed. (Z, Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, AA, Mantha...Glen).

When it comes to D, I protect as many needed to expose DD, Ericsson, and Kronwall. (Green, XO, Jensen).

Goalies, I protect the younger, cheaper, shorter-term player, regardless of how this past season played out.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When it comes to the protected list, I protect as many forwards as needed to leave Abby, Sheahan, and Helm exposed. (Z, Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, AA, Mantha...Glen).

When it comes to D, I protect as many needed to expose DD, Ericsson, and Kronwall. (Green, XO, Jensen).

Goalies, I protect the younger, cheaper, shorter-term player, regardless of how this past season played out.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I would absolutely rather protect Glendening than Abdelkader. That's how much I hate that contract and the principle of it all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This isnt a get out jail free contract. LV has to want it and to choose 1 of our players.

Helm is the answer. His deal can be stomached by them and he's a youngish veteran to transition their ragtag team.

Expose him, let him go.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This isnt a get out jail free contract. LV has to want it and to choose 1 of our players.

Vegas has to choose one of our players, regardless. They could hate all the options we give them - they still have to take someone.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I would absolutely rather protect Glendening than Abdelkader. That's how much I hate that contract and the principle of it all.

Wasn't being sarcastic at all, although I could see why you think that. :laugh: I was more trying to add emphasis to the fact that, unless I'm forgetting someone, I would protect Glendenning over any of the others I mentioned before I protected any of the others I mentioned.

Abby's deal is horrific. Escaping that deal with no one to replace his "toughness" would be a blessing. Then you realize that you can replace that guy and his deal with a decently tough player who will cost half as much as Abby for just 1-2 years (and have Bertuzzi and the sandpaper-y Svech waiting in the wings) in the interim.

I firmly believe that the only time you have costly veteran grinders like Abby and Helm on the roster is if you just recently won or are poised to win a Stanley Cup. Otherwise, they are simply costly baggage that makes an under-skilled product even less entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad