Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Puzzling choices. I could understand not protecting Schlemko if it meant protecting Martin or Dillon...the first has great chemistry with Burns and would be essential to a competing team next year, and the second is young and the only defenseman who plays a very physical game. Schlemko is a solid second-pairing guy, but I do think his offensive contributions are being overvalued; he's another player with a good passing game who's paltry in the offensive zone.

If anything, the Sharks could have made a trade to better utilize that #7 forward spot. Picking up Strome from NYI, for example.

Then again, who knew that Mueller had value, so maybe DW knows something we don't.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
^^ this please.

Once again...he ranks 24th among 192 defensemen (min. 2000 5v5 minutes played) from 2013-17 in relative Fenwick%. He's one of the best possession defensemen in the league. He's excellent at moving the puck up ice and that facilitates offense for his teammates even if he doesn't actually register that many points himself. In many ways that's more valuable than a defensemen who just compiles points with his offensive zone play since it helps keep Schlemko's cost down while he still has a greater net effect on his teammates.

Jul 10, 2010
This is a great point. What a huge missed opportunity.

not really. the Islanders are reportedly giving their 1st to LVK to not select ANY of the exposed forwards aka nelson, strome etc so that opportunity likely never presented itself

i agree, wasting a spot on Carpenter was bad. But for the all the under valuing of players done around here, Schlemko might be the most overrated dman here.

Hes a 3rd pairing dman on a cheap contract. hes not some budding 1st pairing 25 mins a night guy like some posters make him out to be.

My ideal loss is still Dillon as i think replacing him with a better PMD would help our D out considerably, especially if said dman is able to QB PP2

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
not really. the Islanders are reportedly giving their 1st to LVK to not select ANY of the exposed forwards aka nelson, strome etc so that opportunity likely never presented itself

i agree, wasting a spot on Carpenter was bad. But for the all the under valuing of players done around here, Schlemko might be the most overrated dman here.

Hes a 3rd pairing dman on a cheap contract. hes not some budding 1st pairing 25 mins a night guy like some posters make him out to be.

My ideal loss is still Dillon as i think replacing him with a better PMD would help our D out considerably, especially if said dman is able to QB PP2

Source on the Islanders thing? I hadn't heard that.

And no one is saying Schlemko is a 1st pairing defenseman. No team unless they're severely incompetent should be losing a 1st pairing defenseman or anything close in value to that through this expansion draft process. It'll just suck to lose a valuable piece like Schlemko when that could have been easily avoided.

Jul 10, 2010
Source on the Islanders thing? I hadn't heard that.

And no one is saying Schlemko is a 1st pairing defenseman. No team unless they're severely incompetent should be losing a 1st pairing defenseman or anything close in value to that through this expansion draft process. It'll just suck to lose a valuable piece like Schlemko when that could have been easily avoided.

not sure how to embed a tweet but heres the link

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/876448303952666624

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The sharks easily could of avoided losing the more valuable players in schlemko/dillon, by going 8-1-1.

But instead wilson protected 4, count them 4 bottom 6 players over top 4 defensemen. Any way you slice this list it is idiotic.

I get the sense there is more going on behind the scenes than we know. Sort of disappointed we couldn't make a deal to utilize that #7 spot better than Carpenter. I mean there was no one available in trade?

Of our list, I don't think Schlemko is who we lose. He fits our team well, but he is a also fairly sheltered here. We'll see who goes though. My gut says Boedker or Ward. I could see Martin though - his age and contract suck, but he is a legitimate top pairing guy. Those are rare enough I could see someone pushing Vegas to flip him.

Don't forget that teams had to have (at least) two forwards and one defenseman under contract with 40/70 NHL experience. That's why Boedker and Ward are exposed (as the forwards). Dillon, Schlemko, DeMelo all fit those requirements for the blueliners.

Those who have not watched the Barracuda may not realize how ready-for-the-NHL some of those guys are.

I'm not worried if the Sharks lose one player. I'd be more concerned if DW traded another player away to protect someone (else) and we'd still lose a player to VGK in expansion draft.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Carpenter is a gem. Unsure that the scouts wouldve paid enough attention to him to force sharks to protect though.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Carpenter is a gem. Unsure that the scouts wouldve paid enough attention to him to force sharks to protect though.

He is a 26 year old who has 12 nhl games under his belt. He definately will be nothing more then a 3rd line center if he even gets that high.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He is a 26 year old who has 12 nhl games under his belt. He definately will be nothing more then a 3rd line center if he even gets that high.

Being a good 3rd or 4th line center is actually useful, and I don't think anyone thinks he's gonna be anywhere near a top 6 player. People liking Carpenter doesn't mean they think he's gonna be a superstar.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Can't believe people are complaining about our exposed list. Several teams have it much much worse than us. We may even get lucky and benefit from the expansion draft by losing Ward or Boedker and gaining 4M in cap space. Worst case scenario we lost Dillon/Schlemko and have to fill a spot with one of our many NHL ready AHLers. Calm down people.

Also this talk of Schlemko being a number 3 is laughable. He is at best a mid level #4. Argue your advanced stats all you want but any team that has Schlemko as their #3 Dman isn't going anywhere.
Yea his contract is solid but if we lose him I won't shed a single tear when there are teams that could lose guys like Vatanen, Neal, Nelson, De Haan, Dumba, etc..

People should be thanking DW for setting us up to not really take a hit in this draft compared to where other teams are. We likely won't be losing any picks either to protect our players and just gained a 2nd and 4th rounder for a guy we never thought would be an NHLer with the Sharks.

I question protecting Carpenter, Karlsson and Tierney so yea I might have gone with 8 skaters instead of 7-3 but I'm not going to go all "Fire DW" over this. It's not like he just protected Pelech over Nelson or De Haan.

We will be fine after the expansion draft and maybe we even get lucky and lose Ward freeing up space to sign/trade for other players.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Being a good 3rd or 4th line center is actually useful, and I don't think anyone thinks he's gonna be anywhere near a top 6 player. People liking Carpenter doesn't mean they think he's gonna be a superstar.

Thats the point he and the 3 other 3rd/4th liners the sharks protected are not worth protecting in any situation. The sharks protected more 3rd liners then they did top 6 forwards.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Once again...he ranks 24th among 192 defensemen (min. 2000 5v5 minutes played) from 2013-17 in relative Fenwick%. He's one of the best possession defensemen in the league. He's excellent at moving the puck up ice and that facilitates offense for his teammates even if he doesn't actually register that many points himself. In many ways that's more valuable than a defensemen who just compiles points with his offensive zone play since it helps keep Schlemko's cost down while he still has a greater net effect on his teammates.

He is one of the best bottom pair possession D in the league when playing against bottom pair quality of competition

I have seen nothing from David Schlemko to suggest that he is the "2nd best D on the team" (not a quote from you, but I've seen it in this thread) on a team that still has Vlasic, Burns, Braun, and Martin

I know Braun became the D core's whipping post last season for having his first down year ever, but unlike Schlemko he actually had to play against top line forwards every single night, Schlemko has never had that responsibility in his career and probably never will simply because he can't handle those matchups

Martin is getting older and slowing down but he is the ONLY D partner that has ever allowed Brent Burns to be an effective offensive force without looking like a travesty in his own end, Schlemko isn't a babysitter like Paul has proven to be

I think people are falling for Schlemko's shiny shot attempt metrics and entirely disregarding the context in which he actually plays, he might be the best bottom pair guy the team has had since I started following the team closely, but he is just that, a bottom pair defender

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Thats the point he and the 3 other 3rd/4th liners the sharks protected are not worth protecting in any situation. The sharks protected more 3rd liners then they did top 6 forwards.

Because of their unique position in not having to protect Thornton or Marleau.Wasn't carpenter the best player and leader on the Barracuda? That deserves a promotion, and with the nhl being watered down next year; I'd say it was the safest choice for a protected list.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Because of their unique position in not having to protect Thornton or Marleau.Wasn't carpenter the best player and leader on the Barracuda? That deserves a promotion, and with the nhl being watered down next year; I'd say it was the safest choice for a protected list.

7th on the team in points. 6th if you don't count goldobin who had 2 more points in 8 less games.

1st in the playoffs.

Deserves a promotion yes. Saying he is one of the most important players to the team by being protected heck no. Not even remotely close.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
7th on the team in points. 6th if you don't count goldobin who had 2 more points in 8 less games.

1st in the playoffs.

Deserves a promotion yes. Saying he is one of the most important players to the team by being protected heck no. Not even remotely close.

Except that's not what they're saying by protecting him. In order to protect more than one of Tierney/Karlsson/Hansen, which they clearly wanted to do, they had to pick the 7-3-1 format and the only forward who could possibly fill that 7th spot was Carpenter. Unless they'd filled that spot with an unsigned player which wouldn't have made sense.

I'm not defending the protection list but it's pretty obvious they didn't protect Carpenter because they value him so much. There was just literally no one else to protect. Protecting either Boedker or Ward in that spot would have put them in violation of the exposure rules.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

They protected all the top 6 forwards they needed to. They made a choice to protect 4 other forwards after that instead of an extra defenseman.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
He is one of the best bottom pair possession D in the league when playing against bottom pair quality of competition

I have seen nothing from David Schlemko to suggest that he is the "2nd best D on the team" (not a quote from you, but I've seen it in this thread) on a team that still has Vlasic, Burns, Braun, and Martin

I know Braun became the D core's whipping post last season for having his first down year ever, but unlike Schlemko he actually had to play against top line forwards every single night, Schlemko has never had that responsibility in his career and probably never will simply because he can't handle those matchups

Martin is getting older and slowing down but he is the ONLY D partner that has ever allowed Brent Burns to be an effective offensive force without looking like a travesty in his own end, Schlemko isn't a babysitter like Paul has proven to be

I think people are falling for Schlemko's shiny shot attempt metrics and entirely disregarding the context in which he actually plays, he might be the best bottom pair guy the team has had since I started following the team closely, but he is just that, a bottom pair defender

Really good post, and it will shows how people can get too carried away in advanced stats. Schlemko hasn't broken 20 points yet in his 8 year career, lets settle down with him being an offensive savior we can't live without.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

This sort of thing adds another possibility. Maybe DW has a good idea who or at least generally what position Vegas will draft from the Sharks. You've got to assume there have been conversations ahead of time to feel each other out for the possibility of trade.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

This.

Schlemko is a good puck mover. He is NOT a high end offensive player and certainly not second on the Sharks.

Citing predictive stats as support when the actual offensive stats say otherwise is more an indictment of the value of predictive stats than anything.

In terms of P/60, Schlemko is 4th on the Sharks - clearly behind Burns and Demelo, clustered with Vlasic and Martin, and only clearly more productive than Braun and Dillon.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
This.

Schlemko is a good puck mover. He is NOT a high end offensive player and certainly not second on the Sharks.

Citing predictive stats as support when the actual offensive stats say otherwise is more an indictment of the value of predictive stats than anything.

In terms of P/60, Schlemko is 4th on the Sharks - clearly behind Burns and Demelo, clustered with Vlasic and Martin, and only clearly more productive than Braun and Dillon.

Who said he was a high-end offensive player?

Again, points are a terrible way to evaluate a defenseman. Possession and the player's role is what matters. Schlemko is one of the best third-pairing defensemen in the league if not the best. Losing him isn't the end of the world but given this team's history of horrendous third pairing defensemen from Polak to Hannan to White to Huskins to Wallin, it was a huge benefit to have someone like Schlemko in that role for once. Failing to protect him just to keep Tierney, Hansen or Karlsson is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad