Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It amazes me how much of a ***** most on the board have for Schlemko. Soft player that doesn't play up to his potential. And yes, I know his analytics were decent. Did we not lose a playoff game this year directly because of a f**k up by him?

We have lost playoff games because of bad plays by burns, vlasic, marleau, thornton, pavs, couture. Guess they are no good either.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Going into this I would've thought Dillon would get drafted, but there's so many better defensemen available that he probably slips through.

Starting to seem a little more likely that they might actually take someone like Ward off our hands. A lot to choose from out there on d.

Or maybe DW is serious about Ryan/Heed having a shot and wants to save capspace. I still would have protected Schlemko.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Starting to seem a little more likely that they might actually take someone like Ward off our hands. A lot to choose from out there on d.

Or maybe DW is serious about Ryan/Heed having a shot and wants to save capspace. I still would have protected Schlemko.

They can't really afford to take Ward. He's old, one year left. Unless they make so many side deals that they end up taking guys purely to flip them as rentals at the deadline.

Ward's safe. It was smart to expose him.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Going into this I would've thought Dillon would get drafted, but there's so many better defensemen available that he probably slips through.

You have to remember that many if not most of the best exposed players will be flipped by Vegas to another team. Once they've traded guys like Demers, Vatanen, possibly Dumba, de Haan, etc. they'll need guys to fill their own roster. That's where I worry Schlemko or Dillon will be lost.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
You have to remember that many if not most of the best exposed players will be flipped by Vegas to another team. Once they've traded guys like Demers, Vatanen, possibly Dumba, de Haan, etc. they'll need guys to fill their own roster. That's where I worry Schlemko or Dillon will be lost.

Not gonna lie, didn't consider the possibility of them drafting guys and immediately trading them away.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't find that as strange after what Carpenter did this year in the NHL. Goodrow just hasn't shown he belongs.

Wow a 11 games. He showed so much promise. Might aswell anoint him the next big thing like the countless other young stars the sharks have had over the years to have a hot streak to start there nhl careers only to become nothing more then average bottom 6 players.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I mean, obviously protecting Carpenter wasn't about the Sharks fearing they would lose Carpenter. They protected him solely because they wanted to go 7-3-1 and he was literally the only option they had for that 7th spot (save an unsigned forward) while still being compliant. Protecting Carpenter was more about wanting to protect Tierney/Hansen/Karlsson and expose Boedker/Ward than about Carpenter himself.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
They can't really afford to take Ward. He's old, one year left. Unless they make so many side deals that they end up taking guys purely to flip them as rentals at the deadline.

Ward's safe. It was smart to expose him.

Point was more one of our egregious forward contracts, basically Ward(leadership, character, yadda yadda) or Boedker(thinking he could do better on a team like vegas).

Dmen like DeHaan, Kronwall (Yes, I know he is old and sucks but I can bet LV takes him), Dumba, Vatanen, Manson, Cole, Enstrom, TVR, Johnson available.

Add Schlemko, Dillon, and Martin. Plus whoever else decent not listed, who do you take on D if you are Vegas? Maybe NHL GMs are stupid, like DW, and don't value Schlemko as much as we do.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Vegas isn't taking Kronwall because they're much better off taking and flipping either Mrazek (to a team like Philly) or Mike Green (to a number of teams, including Toronto). I'd guess that at least 10 of Vegas' "selections" will be immediately traded.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Point was more one of our egregious forward contracts, basically Ward(leadership, character, yadda yadda) or Boedker(thinking he could do better on a team like vegas).

Add Schlemko, Dillon, and Martin. Plus whoever else decent not listed, who do you take on D if you are Vegas? Maybe NHL GMs are stupid, like DW, and don't value Schlemko as much as we do.

For a hall of fame defenseman. Wilson has shown time and time again that he has no clue on what makes an actual good defenseman in this league.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Wow a 11 games. He showed so much promise. Might aswell anoint him the next big thing like the countless other young stars the sharks have had over the years to have a hot streak to start there nhl careers only to become nothing more then average bottom 6 players.

Still showed more than Goodrow in those 11 games and McDavid for that matter. I don't know what you've been watching but you're not seeing it right.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
pff you can't just write in a career AHLer into your NHL lineup. that's bush league.

Bush league or not it's a little telling that Wilson protected four centers. I don't know if he's tipping his hand on patty and joe. I've had this feeling that he's not bringing them back and he's either going to make a big splash via trade or start the rebuild.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Bush league or not it's a little telling that Wilson protected four centers. I don't know if he's tipping his hand on patty and joe. I've had this feeling that he's not bringing them back and he's either going to make a big splash via trade or start the rebuild.

Then he will have just signed his own walking papers.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Full list.

SAN JOSE SHARKS

Available
Mikkel Boedker (F)
Barclay Goodrow (F)
Micheal Haley (F)
Patrick Marleau (F)
Buddy Robinson (F)
Zack Stortini (F)
Joe Thornton (F)
Joel Ward (F)
Dylan DeMelo (D)
Brenden Dillon (D)
Dan Kelly (D)
Paul Martin (D)
David Schlemko (D)
Aaron Dell (G)
Troy Grosenick (G)
Harri Sateri (G)

Protected
Ryan Carpenter (F)
Logan Couture (F)
Jannik Hansen (F)
Tomas Hertl (F)
Melker Karlsson (F)
Joe Pavelski (F)
Chris Tierney (F)
Justin Braun (D)
Brent Burns (D)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic (D)
Martin Jones (G)

I'm surprised to see all 3 of Martin, Dillon, and Schlemko exposed in favor of holding on to depth forwards like Tierney, Hansen, Karlsson, and Carpenter, but other than that this is close to the list I expected

It will stink when we inevitably lose Schlemko in the expansion, but I still think all this talk of him being a "#3" or a "second pair D" is overblown, he performed admirably well this season playing against the softest quality of competition of all Sharks defenders but routinely got walked when overmatched by more talented forwards

He's an excellent 3rd pairing guy, and I will miss him, but if his absence breaks our defensive core it says a lot more about the poor quality of our remaining personnel than it does about David Schlemko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad