Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Because he decided to move on from the two aging cornerstones of the franchise? We're going to have to rebuild at some point.

He signed his own walking papers because no coaches or GM's that start said rebuild make it through the rebuild.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Isn't all of this moot until Wednesday? If you're upset at the protection list and don't want to lose Schlemko, wouldn't it make sense to complain about it if/when he's selected? I am not happy with what DW decided to do with the list but anyway you slice it someone of value was going to be left exposed. Everyone on this board just values certain players more than others. Let's wait until Wednesday to see if DW has worked out anything with GM GM.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Sharks must see some huge value in Carpenter because he was the only one on the list I didn't understand the reasoning why he was protected. Would have liked to see Schlemko on the protected list, but he didn't have that great of a season last year either.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I'm surprised to see all 3 of Martin, Dillon, and Schlemko exposed in favor of holding on to depth forwards like Tierney, Hansen, Karlsson, and Carpenter, but other than that this is close to the list I expected

It will stink when we inevitably lose Schlemko in the expansion, but I still think all this talk of him being a "#3" or a "second pair D" is overblown, he performed admirably well this season playing against the softest quality of competition of all Sharks defenders but routinely got walked when overmatched by more talented forwards

He's an excellent 3rd pairing guy, and I will miss him, but if his absence breaks our defensive core it says a lot more about the poor quality of our remaining personnel than it does about David Schlemko

Heed, Ryan, Bergman make it possible. Losing Schlemko would suck, but not a big big loss when you have these youngsters ready and waiting.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Isn't all of this moot until Wednesday? If you're upset at the protection list and don't want to lose Schlemko, wouldn't it make sense to complain about it if/when he's selected? I am not happy with what DW decided to do with the list but anyway you slice it someone of value was going to be left exposed. Everyone on this board just values certain players more than others. Let's wait until Wednesday to see if DW has worked out anything with GM GM.

Sure we might not lose him because of side deals or what not. But if that is the case, then it will just **** off the ones already upset about not protecting him more because now we just lost more assests to not select a certain player. When it was just as easy could have protected him in the 1st place.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Vegas isn't taking Kronwall because they're much better off taking and flipping either Mrazek (to a team like Philly) or Mike Green (to a number of teams, including Toronto). I'd guess that at least 10 of Vegas' "selections" will be immediately traded.

You bring up an interesting point. I just had a thought, maybe DW thinks he can upgrade our D through trade with Vegas, tells them himself to pick Schlemko. Anaheim gives a pick to Vegas to pick Vatanen instead of Manson, then trades us Vatanen for a huge package. Ducks would never trade him to us, but Vegas might. Super scheming DW Rube Goldberg machine activate! This plan is so brilliant that it's ********.

ku-medium_zps5159d399.gif

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I'd be fine with losing Dillon but I worry Vegas selecting him would prompt Doug to sign some terrible big third pairing defenseman for grit and physicality (Girardi perhaps). I would love to see a Schlemko-Heed third pair but I can't imagine the Sharks actually doing that.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Doug kicks tires all the time. He knows what his players are worth. He knows who he gets calls about the most.

You don't.

Enjoy your consternation, though.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Doug kicks tires all the time. He knows what his players are worth. He knows who he gets calls about the most.

You don't.

Enjoy your consternation, though.

Been waiting long enough for Led Zappa's "Doug Wilson can do no wrong" take. Glad to finally have it.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Sure we might not lose him because of side deals or what not. But if that is the case, then it will just **** off the ones already upset about not protecting him more because now we just lost more assests to not select a certain player. When it was just as easy could have protected him in the 1st place.

That's not my point. I'm saying there is no reason to get upset until Wednesday. We need to wait to see who is selected and if DW had to pay to protect players that most feel he should've protected in the first place.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He isn't a high end defensemen. But he is only the 2nd best defenseman on the sharks to be able to create offense. And is way more import to the team then tierney, karlsson, carpenter and even hansen.

I keep reading that Schlemko creates offense, and I am wondering what stat it is folks use to make that assessment? Because it certainly isn't points.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Been waiting long enough for Led Zappa's "Doug Wilson can do no wrong" take. Glad to finally have it.

Never said he can't do wrong. Just that he's one of the best GM's in the league. but you keep on beating that drum. It's an easy out.

He has information you don't, so complaining who he exposed and who he didn't with the little information you have is pointless. We're talking about losing "one" player. Every team in the league is going to lose one, so in the end, as far as competitiveness, no one is likely to lose much more or less than any other team.

Talking about why and who you'd protect ect... is fine. Calling him an idiot because he didn't submit a list you approve of while you don't know who is going to get taken, don't know the value of the players (see Mirco) etc... does not make you look smarter than him. That is for sure.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
To further confound the locals about the attitude of the league and media regarding the value of our players here are the notable Sharks players exposed according to Lyle Richardson.

San Jose Sharks: Mikkel Boedker, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, Joel Ward, Paul Martin, Aaron Dell.

Nobody watches us. :cry:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I keep reading that Schlemko creates offense, and I am wondering what stat it is folks use to make that assessment? Because it certainly isn't points.

Points are a terrible way to evaluate defensemen. From 2013-17 192 defensemen played at least 2000 5v5 minutes. Schlemko ranked 24th among all of them in relative Fenwick%. He's an excellent puck mover as evidenced by his team having offensive zone possession far more often with him on the ice relative to when he's not on the ice, compared to nearly every other regular defenseman in the NHL. He facilitates offense even if he's not directly involved in scoring plays all the time. I'll take a defenseman like that, whose low point totals also help keep his cost down, over a defenseman with poor possession numbers who gets a ton of empty-calorie points every day of the week.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
He has information you don't, so complaining who he exposed and who he didn't with the little information you have is pointless. We're about talking losing "one" player. Every team in the league is going to lose one, so in the end, as far as competitiveness, no one is likely to lose much more or less than any other team.

Hahaha this is hilarious. I guess the Predators losing James Neal and the Maple Leafs losing Brendan Leipsic is basically the same thing. After all, they're each only losing one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad