Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

This sort of thing adds another possibility. Maybe DW has a good idea who or at least generally what position Vegas will draft from the Sharks. You've got to assume there have been conversations ahead of time to feel each other out for the possibility of trade.

I'd take it even further and suggest Wilson has an idea of Vegas's strategy and may have even structured the list accordingly. Just look at NYI's situation or the CHI/Kruger & TVR situations as examples of the depth of dialogue that has taken place already between GM's.

There are some posters here who are very knowledgeable in some aspects of the inner workings of professional men's ice hockey but seem almost willfully ignorant in others.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I am fine with the Sharks list. It's actually better than expected because I thought DW might expose Braun (which would be stupid IMO). I don't really care if Schlemko goes.

The thing is I am pretty sure DW has at least a decent idea of who LV might be interested in, and might have already worked out a deal either for them to take a certain player (say Ward, Boedker or Martin) and will have presumably discussed trading for players left unprotected.

I would not be surprised at all if McPhee put conditions on LV considering possible trades of a picked exposed player from another team such as exposing certain players that they already knew that they could flip to another team. For example, say McPhee know's that there is potential interest in various types of defensemen (such as a borderline top-pair defenseman on a not too long and not too terrible contract for next couple of years). McPhee tells DW "the price to play in the bidding game for exposed players is the Sharks exposing Paul Martin, Brendan Dillon, and David Schlemko; if you don't expose them we won't consider any deals with you on acquiring players other teams leave exposed".

So the exposure list could factor in discussions with McPhee that reflect his discussions with other GM's and DW's desire for certain players that maybe McPhee had a hint would be available.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
DW best be trying to get Strome on the cheap

Just because he was exposed in the expansion draft is no guarantee that he's available for acquisition. If what was posted earlier from Darren Dreger is correct and the Isles have a deal in place to stop Vegas from taking any of their exposed forwards, then the fact that Strome was on the unprotected list is even less relevant.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Just because he was exposed in the expansion draft is no guarantee that he's available for acquisition. If what was posted earlier from Darren Dreger is correct and the Isles have a deal in place to stop Vegas from taking any of their exposed forwards, then the fact that Strome was on the unprotected list is even less relevant.

Yep, and I believe I saw yesterday that Anaheim has a deal in place to protect both Manson and Vatenen.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
We have lost playoff games because of bad plays by burns, vlasic, marleau, thornton, pavs, couture. Guess they are no good either.

I'm trying to think of specific plays by those players that lost playoff games single-handedly, can't think of any off the top of my head. Enlighten me?

Also all of those players listed are not soft and all play up to their potential. But sure, pick that part specifically out of what I said.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
He's absolutely clueless.

We shall see, I also think Schlemko will not be taken. I like Schlemko, I think he is a great bottom pairing guy and I am hoping he is still with us in the fall. However, this board drastically overrates him and it's pretty amusing when people start saying things like "NHL GM's have no idea how to value players".

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
We shall see, I also think Schlemko will not be taken. I like Schlemko, I think he is a great bottom pairing guy and I am hoping he is still with us in the fall. However, this board drastically overrates him and it's pretty amusing when people start saying things like "NHL GM's have no idea how to value players".

A NHL GM protected Ryan Reaves over David Perron today.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm trying to think of specific plays by those players that lost playoff games single-handedly, can't think of any off the top of my head. Enlighten me?

Also all of those players listed are not soft and all play up to their potential. But sure, pick that part specifically out of what I said.

Pavelski's weak backhand that failed to clear and lead to the SC GWG. Marleau's weak play on Datsyuk in the almost reverse sweep series. Pretty sure Vlasic had one in one of the LA games too.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Weird list...I was hoping they wouldn't go 7+3 because as I predicted yesterday, Carpenter would have to be the 7th forward. I'm pretty sure the Sharks will lose a D, which sucks. However, the Sharks could be a lot more f***ed (see Minnesota). Also, DW might have screwed up the list somewhat, but he also didn't protect Haley over Tierney (See Reaves over Perron).

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Pavelski's weak backhand that failed to clear and lead to the SC GWG. Marleau's weak play on Datsyuk in the almost reverse sweep series. Pretty sure Vlasic had one in one of the LA games too.

Thank you! I guess I blocked those out of my memory. Lol

I'm not saying Schlemko is a bad player, I've just read posters on here saying they would rather have him with his contract over Braun and his contract or Burns and his. I think that is ludicrous and I think every GM in the NHL would probably agree with me.

nerdybeard

Oct 1, 2011
Oakland, CA
I'm anxious to see what happens with Manson and Vatanen being exposed in ANA.. clearly some sort of deal(s) in place. I get that McPhee is in a power position with ANA and he wants to do the best for his team - but I really hope he's not hooking up a division rival too much.

I can't even imagine all the calls coming into the VGK office with all the players' names released and side deals being proposed. So much suspense over the next few days!

KKurzNHL

Sep 1, 2013
Kurzy, think there's a chance the Sharks trade their first rounder? (Praying they do not…)

Only in a blockbuster. When you've traded your first round picks from 2013 and 2014, and didn't have one last year, I tend to think you try to hold on to this one.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Thornton and Marleau are safe from the expansion draft because they are free agents.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thornton and Marleau are safe from the expansion draft because they are free agents.

Yes and no. Vegas can throw stupid money at them to try and convince them to play for vegas.

Vegas can stupidly still pick one of them to get more then just the 72 hrs or whatever it is that vegas gets with all free agent exposed players.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yeah, because Dan Boyle never made a high profile play that directly lost us a playoff game before.

Schlemko was our #3D last year. It's shocking to me how many people are demanding stats to prove that when everyone here purportedly watches games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad