Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Just read an interesting article which mentions that the NHL is preparing GMs for possible expansion drafts as early as this summer. This got me thinking, who would the Sharks protect? The rules aren't 100% solidified but according to the article a team can retain 7 forwards, 3 Dmen and 1 goalie. The part that is up for debate is whether players with no movement clauses are eligible to be taken. The article also mentioned that players on the first two years of their pro contract are ineligible.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-presents-potential-expansion-draft-plans-1.454239

So who would the Sharks protect? This could be a good way to potentially get rid of a bad contract such as Paul Martin.

Assuming NMC players are eligible here's who I protect:
Forwards: Thornton, Pavs, Hert, Marleau, Ward, Couture, Nieto
Karlsson, Donskoi and Tierney should be ineligible since they have been in the league for 2 years or less but if that is not the case I protect Donskoi over both Nieto and Ward and probably Tierney as well.
Defense: Burns, Vlasic, Braun
Goalie: Jones

With the above we would be at risk of losing Dillon, Wingels, Karlsson

edit: It's no longer a Possible Expansion Draft ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
Thornton
pavelski
marleau
hertl
donskoi
couture
TIERNEY

vlasic
burns
braun

jones

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Just read an interesting article which mentions that the NHL is preparing GMs for possible expansion drafts as early as this summer. This got me thinking, who would the Sharks protect? The rules aren't 100% solidified but according to the article a team can retain 7 forwards, 3 Dmen and 1 goalie. The part that is up for debate is whether players with no movement clauses are eligible to be taken. The article also mentioned that players on the first two years of their pro contract are ineligible.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-presents-potential-expansion-draft-plans-1.454239

I never head anything about this? I thought the earliest potential for expansion would be following the 2016-17 season.

Very curious how UFAs are going to work.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not exactly. Any expansion draft would be summer of 2017.

Looking like teams can protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

Have to expose at least 25% of cap.

1st and 2nd year players would be exempt from being picked. (Which is different from waiver exemption)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It depends on what the final details would be but I think NMC players should be exempt while NTC players should not be. If all year 3 and beyond players are up for taking, I'm protecting guys like Goldobin over guys like Karlsson or even Donskoi. If NMC players need to be chosen to protect or expose and aren't exempt or force-protected, I'd protect Goldobin over Marleau...even Thornton (that obviously won't be popular given the status of the players involved). But I'd rather have some type of handshake deal with both of them that they're available but will be re-signed after they become UFA if they get chosen in the draft.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
It depends on what the final details would be but I think NMC players should be exempt while NTC players should not be. If all year 3 and beyond players are up for taking, I'm protecting guys like Goldobin over guys like Karlsson or even Donskoi. If NMC players need to be chosen to protect or expose and aren't exempt or force-protected, I'd protect Goldobin over Marleau...even Thornton (that obviously won't be popular given the status of the players involved). But I'd rather have some type of handshake deal with both of them that they're available but will be re-signed after they become UFA if they get chosen in the draft.

Except that would probably get the team sanctioned hard for tampering, if it ever came to light.

As for who I would protect? Hmm... Going to assume that NMCs won't matter, ultimately. So, I protect:

Forwards
Thornton
Donskoi
Hertl
Pavelski
Couture
Goldobin
Nieto/Karlsson
Tierney

(Yes, I leave Marleau exposed. I could see protecting him over Nieto/Karlsson, though.)

Defensemen
Vlasic
Burns
Braun

Goalie
Jones

If players with NMCs are automatically included on the list of protected players, then obviously Marleau gets protected and Nieto/Karlsson do not. I can't imagine they'd say players with NMCs can't be picked but also don't count towards the limit of protected players, but if they did, we could protect Wingels as well, or the other one of the Nieto/Karlsson grouping.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Be prepared for players with NMC counting as a protected player...

Yeah, I am pretty sure that's how it will shake out in the end. Otherwise you'd have GMs giving out a bunch of 1 year contracts with NMC's attached, so they could protect most of their team. That's why I had the note at the end about how we'd have to protect Marleau over Nieto/Karlsson if that's how it worked.

I think the only real question is whether or not players with NMCs will automatically join the protected list, or if teams can expose them if they wish. I imagine some clubs that are hoping to get out from a contract with a NMC that they now regret giving out will push for allowing them to be exposed. The NHLPA will probably resist that, I would expect.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yeah, I am pretty sure that's how it will shake out in the end. Otherwise you'd have GMs giving out a bunch of 1 year contracts with NMC's attached, so they could protect most of their team. That's why I had the note at the end about how we'd have to protect Marleau over Nieto/Karlsson if that's how it worked.

I think the only real question is whether or not players with NMCs will automatically join the protected list, or if teams can expose them if they wish. I imagine some clubs that are hoping to get out from a contract with a NMC that they now regret giving out will push for allowing them to be exposed. The NHLPA will probably resist that, I would expect.

I would bet lots of money players with NMC can't be exposed (insert Joe Thornton four goal joke here).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except that would probably get the team sanctioned hard for tampering, if it ever came to light.

As for who I would protect? Hmm... Going to assume that NMCs won't matter, ultimately. So, I protect:

Forwards
Thornton
Donskoi
Hertl
Pavelski
Couture
Goldobin
Nieto/Karlsson
Tierney

(Yes, I leave Marleau exposed. I could see protecting him over Nieto/Karlsson, though.)

Defensemen
Vlasic
Burns
Braun

Goalie
Jones

If players with NMCs are automatically included on the list of protected players, then obviously Marleau gets protected and Nieto/Karlsson do not. I can't imagine they'd say players with NMCs can't be picked but also don't count towards the limit of protected players, but if they did, we could protect Wingels as well, or the other one of the Nieto/Karlsson grouping.

It would not be unprecedented for that to occur. Nashville drafted Richter from the Rangers then went back to New York as a free agent. They can also trade assets for the team(s) to not select someone exposed. If NMC's are auto-protected, my list is pretty simple.

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski
Couture
Hertl
Goldobin
Tierney

Burns
Vlasic
Braun

Jones

And I would gladly give assets for those teams not to select Donskoi.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Well if it's in 2017 I'd try to re-sign Marleau and Thornton without NMC's and risk one or both depending on how they play.

When would the draft be, anyway? If it's in June, surely the NHL won't force you to protect players with NMCs that are days away from free agency, right?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would be okay with exposing Marleau and giving the Expansion team(s) a decent asset not to take him. For sure you protect Thornton, Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, Donskoi, and Tierney up front. Last spot could be Marleau or someone like Goldobin if necessary. I'm fine exposing Ward, Wingels, Nieto, and Karlsson. Obviously your three D are Vlasic, Burns, and Braun.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Well if it's in 2017 I'd try to re-sign Marleau and Thornton without NMC's and risk one or both depending on how they play.

When would the draft be, anyway? If it's in June, surely the NHL won't force you to protect players with NMCs that are days away from free agency, right?

You'd have to assume it would be before the rookie draft, so that the expansion teams have an idea of what they have before they go picking their 1st round pick. Which gives us another question: Where in the 1st round do they pick?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You'd have to assume it would be before the rookie draft, so that the expansion teams have an idea of what they have before they go picking their 1st round pick. Which gives us another question: Where in the 1st round do they pick?

1st overall, you know to screw the sharks just a little bit more

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
1st overall, you know to screw the sharks just a little bit more

That 1991 first round was easily the worst 1st round the Sharks have ever had, including 1st rounds where we didn't have a pick. Screwed out of being able to take Lindros by the NHL, we take Fat Balloon over Peter Forsberg and Scott Niedermayer...:cry:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It struck me that maybe the NHL has learned its lesson a bit with this expansion. Normally, they allow the teams generous protection ability, leaving the scraps to be picked up by the expansion teams. Hence, the expansion teams have a huge hill to climb. But, that leads to the new team struggling in the new market. Which leads to money problems, which leads to worse seasons...rinse and repeat.

So while I don't like the harsh draft rules, it makes sense.

In regards to not giving the first overall to the Sharks...well, that is an example of the league not "getting it" with expansion teams. Though, to be fair to them, the Sharks were originally supposed to debut in the '93 season. That push for the '92 season cost them the first overall.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://tealpuck.com/2016/03/impact-potential-expansion-draft-sharks/

Calculated out all the exempt players (Goldobin for one) and came up with my list (mainly NMC and NTC).

Historically (IOW during 2000 expansion under Lombardi) Sharks have made a "future considerations" trade (with someone from exempted list) to protect a player they had to expose. (For instance, Mueller would be exposed.)

WRT timing: would be before 2017 entry draft (if it happens so team(s) would start in fall 2017). Nothing has yet been decided where expansion team(s) would pick in 2017 entry draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad