Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread Part II All Talk Here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Right about what? That he'd be struggling to start his career with a new team 1 year after scoring 30 goals playing with a center who was hurt the last 30 games?

See, I think unlike you, I have watched many of the Canucks' games and thus have watched Loui play.

He's been just above Hayes-level bad.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
See, I think unlike you, I have watched many of the Canucks' games and thus have watched Loui play.

He's been just above Hayes-level bad.

I just read the Vancouver Loui thread. Anyone saying he'd fall off a cliff after a 30 goal season and being handed to the Sedins is a liar or worse.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I just read the Vancouver Loui thread. Anyone saying he'd fall off a cliff after a 30 goal season and being handed to the Sedins is a liar or worse.

I really don't know what you're getting at here.

My argument against resigning him was he is a slow, "non-energy" player now. He can put up a decent stat sheet, but he's a complimentary piece to an already good team (this is exactly what many Canucks fans are saying, and their main criticism of the signing). He isn't one of those players...to me...that makes his teammates better. Rather, he plants himself in front of the net (something certainly not every player is willing to do) and has decent hands to finish some plays.

I'd rather give the same money to a guy like Backes who is going to provide an energy level through a physical game, even if God forbid, it means a lower goal total for him individually than Loui. People were talking about how huge of a risk signing Backes was long term...and saying we should have just resigned Loui. LOL pass. Said it from day one. This crazy concept of evaluating players through more than just a stat sheet and HFBoards actually provides you a lot of insight. And more often than not, you get things right. I thought we had all learned our lesson that "replacing goals" is far from a straight science when Kessel left, but apparently not.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I really don't know what you're getting at here.

My argument against resigning him was he is a slow, "non-energy" player now. He can put up a decent stat sheet, but he's a complimentary piece to an already good team (this is exactly what many Canucks fans are saying, and their main criticism of the signing). He isn't one of those players...to me...that makes his teammates better. Rather, he plants himself in front of the net (something certainly not every player is willing to do) and has decent hands to finish some plays.

I'd rather give the same money to a guy like Backes who is going to provide an energy level through a physical game, even if God forbid, it means a lower goal total for him individually than Loui. People were talking about how huge of a risk signing Backes was long term...and saying we should have just resigned Loui. LOL pass. Said it from day one. This crazy concept of evaluating players through more than just a stat sheet and HFBoards actually provides you a lot of insight. And more often than not, you get things right. I thought we had all learned our lesson that "replacing goals" is far from a straight science when Kessel left, but apparently not.

Backes is playing better than Eriksson right now. Backes is not a better player than Eriksson. Backes' style means dirt to me. Goals and the prevention of goals wins games. There's only about 10 forwards in the league that are not complementary. Almost everyone that is not truly elite is a complementary player. Not everyone makes everyone else better,some players just complement each other better.Backes is also a complementary player. Geesh

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Backes is playing better than Eriksson right now. Backes is not a better player than Eriksson. Backes' style means dirt to me. Goals and the prevention of goals wins games. There's only about 10 forwards in the league that are not complementary. Almost everyone that is not truly elite is a complementary player. Not everyone makes everyone else better,some players just complement each other better.Backes is also a complementary player. Geesh

Hahaha couldn't disagree more with your viewpoint. Hockey is not like baseball or football, or even pro basketball. It's ultimately a team sport and the energy and play of you as a player feeds directly off the energy and play of your teammates. I've been watching hockey religiously for over 20 years. That's what I've picked up along the way and that's what I believe in.

Dubbing it down to the elementary level of goals for and goals against is exactly what creates this illusion that actual team building doesn't matter and you just need to assemble the team like you would in a video game.

I'm glad we have gotten down to the root of the issue...that we have vastly different viewpoints on the game itself and where success comes from. The best we are going to get here is agreeing to disagree. But, to top things off, I'm not a "liar or worse" for saying that not resigning Loui was the right move. I advocated for trading for him at the deadline and wanted no part of signing him to a high dollar, longterm contract. So far, I'm completely right and for all the reasons I laid out countless times. Being in denial that I could possibly be telling the truth in all of this by calling me a "liar" is easily proven wrong by perusing through old threads and responses over the summer. If you really don't believe me, go back a few months and search my UN.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Dubbing it down to the elementary level of goals for and goals against is exactly what creates this illusion that actual team building doesn't matter and you just need to assemble the team like you would in a video game.

So him playing poorly for the Nucks is indicative of poor team building on their behalf? Why then would you move on from someone who's gelling on your team in favour of an older player who might not? I didn't want either contract, and I'm glad Backes is fitting in fine on the team for now, but aren't you contradicting yourself somewhat?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So him playing poorly for the Nucks is indicative of poor team building on their behalf? Why then would you move on from someone who's gelling on your team in favour of an older player who might not? I didn't want either contract, and I'm glad Backes is fitting in fine on the team for now, but aren't you contradicting yourself somewhat?

I believe you are getting at something, but I am not sure what. I don't understand where you think my contradiction is.

I view David Backes (and did before the trade even happened this season, from watching both players) as a more impactful players, even if a basic stat sheet does not necessarily suggest it. And, the type of team that should have signed Loui wasn't the Canucks. A team like the Blackhawks could have seen a huge benefit off of Loui. An established team, with a good core, that wanted someone longterm as a net front presence and decent defensive instincts.

David Backes is more of a "team building" type player, who sets a tone through factors outside of his goals, assists, and total points unlike Loui. David Backes stands up for his teammates. He plays a very hard nosed, physical game. Loui did not participate in that. And this isn't about insulting Loui Eriksson. Yes, will Eriksson most likely put up more point totals this year? Well, it might be close now, but I'll still say probably. That doesn't automatically make him the better player. Hockey is a team sport which relies on numerous factors. If you've got a player who is doing things that encourage and make a difference to his other teammates, that counts for something. I don't understand how anyone here could have watched the 2011 Stanley Cup run and think "it's just about da points".

Sorry, but if the Bruins are going for a "harder to play against" style of play (as most here wanted demanded this offseason), signing Loui Eriksson to a longterm contract isn't your solution. Now, does Backes' contract come with risk? Sure. But, IMO from day one (I am admittedly irritated that I can make assertions on this board that at least initially are proven right only to be told I am lying and could have never said such things in the first place), he is by far the better longterm option for this team if you had to choose between the two.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Chad Johnson has at least temporarily replaced Brian Elliot as Calgary's #1. Back-to-back starts and back-to-back wins, giving up only one goal in two games.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I used to applaud your defending of Eriksson, now i can see there's more bias than originally thought

I'd say both players are about on par with eachother but for different reasons, and Backes is a better fit for this team, especially given the context of the youth and what this team needed.

Who really cares who's the better player in a vaccuum when it doesn't ever play out that way team to team

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I used to applaud your defending of Eriksson, now i can see there's more bias than originally thought

I'd say both players are about on par with eachother but for different reasons, and Backes is a better fit for this team, especially given the context of the youth and what this team needed.

Who really cares who's the better player in a vaccuum when it doesn't ever play out that way team to team

I simply believe that Eriksson is the better player,and I think statistically year by year he has mostly produced more. I'm not backing down just because statistically,he's off to a bad start in what might be a bad situation. If Backes gets 31 goals then he's the better fit with the Bruins,but right now he's Krejci's winger and an occasional center,5th in faceoffs taken. He's a better fit because of leadership? Style? Faceoffs? Just produce,and right now he's on pace for 49 points,exactly where I think he'll be and what I thought he'd do. I also think that Loui would have equalled or surpassed his 60 points of last year with another year of a 70 game healthy Krejci versus 50 of last year. I did think Loui would be a 70 point player again with the Sedins but their fans are saying those 2 ain't what they used to be and now they are looking for fits.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I was obviously not a Loui fan and was glad when we didn't sign him and now even more happy.

However, many of us have been saying for a while that Lucic didn't deserve a big contract from the Bruins and I couldn't be happier with that trade.

Edmonton fans are really pissed right now with his play.

He's doing absolutely nothing that he was brought in to do. Talked a big game all summer though.

He's the opposite of everything he talked about....a ****ing fraud.

Currently on the 3rd line with a $6m cap hit because he couldn't hack it with McDavid.

Edit: I am willing to admit my bias against Lucic because he yelled at me on Facebook years ago and his girlfriend was mean to my mom. :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was obviously not a Loui fan and was glad when we didn't sign him and now even more happy.

However, many of us have been saying for a while that Lucic didn't deserve a big contract from the Bruins and I couldn't be happier with that trade.

Edmonton fans are really pissed right now with his play.

Currently on the 3rd line with a $6m cap hit because he couldn't hack it with McDavid.

I didn't know that. Lucic has unique talent but his ability to play a 100% energy game is not there,and I don't think he liked fighting much. Give me Lucic with a Chris Neil personality and you might have Terry O'Reilly junior. Right now you just have Milan Lucic and he is what he is.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I didn't know that. Lucic has unique talent but his ability to play a 100% energy game is not there,and I don't think he liked fighting much. Give me Lucic with a Chris Neil personality and you might have Terry O'Reilly junior. Right now you just have Milan Lucic and he is what he is.

I agree. They're complaining that he takes 2 out of every 3 shifts off. Which is what I remember from his last few seasons on the Bruins.

If you can't produce with McDavid, you probably don't deserve $6m for 7 years. I can only imagine what he's going to look like in a few seasons.

It was Sweeney's best trade by far in my opinion.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I agree. They're complaining that he takes 2 out of every 3 shifts off. Which is what I remember from his last few seasons on the Bruins.

If you can't produce with McDavid, you probably don't deserve $6m for 7 years. I can only imagine what he's going to look like in a few seasons.

I'd still have hope if I were them,I think people pull plugs on things too quickly,except here in the case of Hayes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I pray for the Hamilton trade crowd to find peace whether it's for or against it. :laugh:

They will move on to whining that Sweeney traded for Jimmy Hayes and didn't draft Konecny

It's a shame Carlo wasn't one of the three picks they acquired so we could close this as a Sweeney win anc open up a 48 hour sticky thread where those who thought Sweeney got schooled could post apologies and admit they were wrrrrrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

The problem with the Lucic trade is you have to take Jones and convert to a prospect & a first and when your brain cells are swollen from screaming Rinaldo!!! It's a bit to much

I give them a mulligan - it's advanced GMing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1