Evgeny Kuznetsov Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Update his stats so far 30 points (13+17) in 32 games, that makes him 10th in KHL scoring race.

DiXEN8

Oct 28, 2007
can anybody tell me if he ever said that he would come to NA after this year?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Well it looks like Kuznetsov's choice to stay in the KHL was a bad one, he really jumped the shark, he was afraid of Dale Hunter and now he is going assuredly still miss the Sochi lineup. He just won't make the top 6, there is so many options to put there that don't include Kuznetsov.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Well it looks like Kuznetsov's choice to stay in the KHL was a bad one, he really jumped the shark, he was afraid of Dale Hunter and now he is going assuredly still miss the Sochi lineup. He just won't make the top 6, there is so many options to put there that don't include Kuznetsov.

I'm not so sure the Russians look at the way they build their roster the same way as NA-teams does. They might role 3 or 4 scoring lines and try to find off/def balance in all of them!

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
I don't see how the fact that he stayed hurts his chances of being selected. Being an NHLer doesn't automatically qualify a player for the Russian NT. I would suggest the exact opposite - it appears that they have spots reserved for KHL players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
as of today, he has missed zero nhl games because he decided to stay. my view is that his agent knew full well that any nhl hockey in the coming term was touch and go and advised his client thusly.

i dont think many agents and players are stunned that there is no work in the nhl yet. disappointed and frustrated, maybe. but not surprised.

where things stand now there is plenty of evidence to suggest that there may be no nhl games before selections for the next winter olympic games at all.

so far, staying looks like a brilliant move.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

wait what? he's doing well and he just got voted in the all star game. hell he's been playing better than semin in khl (based on stats).

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
So, Liberation, AHL is better than KHL for Kuz?

He had a bad streak in November, but then he started scoring and collecting points once again.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
wait what? he's doing well and he just got voted in the all star game. hell he's been playing better than semin in khl (based on stats).
He wasn't brought along to the Euro Hockey Tour games going on currently. Ergo, he won't make another team 14 months from now.

You can pencil in the big four + Radulov but otherwise it's likely pretty wide open. I'm sure there will end up being a KHL veteran or two regardless but he's certainly not blocked at this point.

As an aside...I hadn't really thought about it but a locked out season would make the World Championship a little more interesting.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Kuznetsov will be in Sochi. Excuse, but there's no way he won't. I think he (and Tarasenko) were left out by Coach Bill for Channel One Cup to make them more angry (and he hinted at that, too).
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov
Kulemin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Anisimov - Kuznetsov
Shirokov - Shipachev - Zherdev
Mozyakin, Yakupov

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Kuznetsov will be in Sochi. Excuse, but there's no way he won't. I think he (and Tarasenko) were left out by Coach Bill for Channel One Cup to make them more angry (and he hinted at that, too).
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov
Kulemin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Anisimov - Kuznetsov
Shirokov - Shipachev - Zherdev
Mozyakin, Yakupov

Yeah I know that, but he didn't want to run 3 scoring lines during the WC. He was only giving Kuznetsov late 3rd period ice time after Ovechkin and Semin came.

As far as him coming to the NHL helping, it would, if he establishes himself with Ovechkin, that holds a lot of water, the national team will aim for chemistry in their lineup.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
If Kuznetsov continues to progress as he has been in the KHL so far no way will he miss Sochi 2014. The Coach wants Tarasenko and Kuznetsov to be hungry and prove they deserve a spot, a lot of hype surrounding these kids in Russia and he does not want them to begin thinking they deserve a spot without showing consistency. It was the right move especially as he was very poor in November.

Here is what I mean about Kuznetsov.
First 19 games of the KHL Season
GP-19 G-9 A-11 PTS-20 :handclap:

The next 11 games of the KHL Season
GP-11 G-1 A-4 PTS-5 :shakehead

Last two games before the EHT break (Where he did not make the team)
GP-2 G-3 A-1 PTS-4 :handclap:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He wasn't brought along to the Euro Hockey Tour games going on currently. Ergo, he won't make another team 14 months from now.

You can pencil in the big four + Radulov but otherwise it's likely pretty wide open. I'm sure there will end up being a KHL veteran or two regardless but he's certainly not blocked at this point.

As an aside...I hadn't really thought about it but a locked out season would make the World Championship a little more interesting.

who cares if he doesn't make team russia, its team russia for ****s sake being a top 12 russian forward is an incredibly high standard you really should lower your expectations

also the dude above makes a good point, this could benefit kuznetsov and tarasenko

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Have to say my teeth nashing on the Kuz resigning for a couple of years is completely dumb in the hind sight 20/20 heh.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
who cares if he doesn't make team russia, its team russia for ****s sake being a top 12 russian forward is an incredibly high standard you really should lower your expectations
While Russia has generally not gone with younger forwards quite as much lately unless they're elite players I'd still consider it a disappointment under the circumstances. Considering his skill level and desire to make the team he should be able to beat out the Morozovs in the mix. That's assuming he can play a responsible enough game and that's where perhaps the challenge of the NHL would have helped him the most. As-is I'm not sure he'll be nearly as well-rounded, although perhaps the politics at play will negate the difference. I tend to doubt it, particularly for these games with the stakes so high. A conservative roster seems most likely so he'll need to prove himself in that regard most of all IMO.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Team Russia is above all about the politics of the selection, and Kuznetsov did everything right from the political point of view, by re-upping through Sochi. He's a lock, in my view, unless his game falls off a cliff.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think there is more competition than you acknowledge.

There are several good RWs who are already established in the Bilyaletdinov's system. Radulov, Perezhogin, Semin, Kulyomin, Kokarev and even Zherdev. They have slightly different capabilities but they are all useful.

Kokarev could be easily projected as 4RW. Kulyomin is easily above Kuznetsov because of his versatility, physicality and familiarity with Malkin. And then there are Radulov and Semin.

And even if there are injuries there are Perezhogin and Zherdev. They had more ice time at last Worlds and they are both more effective than Kuznetsov in my opinion.

No Morozov in the conversation. Now there is another good young work horse (Plotnikov) and there is also Popov who 1) was good last WC 2) can play C.

These guys are to be used just about right - defensive work, discipline, discipline and more discipline.

I do think Kuz could be held as 13th forward in roster but he probably will start the tournament in the stands.

He lacks experience and physicality. That's critical. Politics are for PR.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He lacks experience and physicality. That's critical.
Agreed, particularly under the circumstances. It's a moot point given the labor impasse but two years in the NHL would have helped his chances quite a bit in that regard. Then again I'm not sure he was physically ready for the NHL this year regardless.

Sure, there's competition and there are a variety of more conservative options but he's not blocked is all. There's not an entire high-end forward logjam and a guy like Semin doesn't seem to be in favor much. Will EK have the drive and motor by that point to be as consistent/mature as he'd otherwise be forced to be at the NHL level?

If the Olympics were in another country I'd agree in politics prevailing. I don't think that will happen in this instance, though the 13th forward spot is where that could be a possibility. His shootout ability could come in handy, though again his experience in going up against elite goaltending won't be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad