OT: Everybody needs a little like in their life

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Pics of build
y4mI5tkLDOxJe71kdemvITzEb8mc-_Da76MQf2NBr-ieehxolKVaYSllh_rjo9B-yghIdYk9twB63S4oMOH1V6ShgdTXOAHBn18lOuCjesLKB67Y02C-avDOHzp3yLgp3_szZiaovf-vm-2OK8p1MbRkFCZjEJlOZHpI0dUJb9iL4z_mkyp-7A66g9L4I3WGztWRGDnq-qX0XKEjim0g0RY1A
y4mg4rb6hUxgGrbvPLYpravTUsgzlk1nuX6og8tnItfVomFswEZvcl0S9s1Y6_mlKpILut4-kOtQKdFLLiTWN4hy-y5Z8avKU79FN-iWHVTUMWaiAmHcL40_eSV_m7EQt9tsalg564fN_J5-R2cKGsQUzFbelFrlEBZB9E_Xck8u0gfYgUtJ4uChFK0UTS3mKf6SyoIE3KiVv-cz5KSC2j_Kg

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Fractal Designs Define C Micro ATX - Tempered Glass
MSI B350M motherboard
Ryzen 5 - 1600
Patriot DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
EVGA 1050ti (for now....Vega 56 later)
XPG 512GB NVMe
Toshiba 1TB HDD (cannibalized from my old PC)

We've got the same mobo, cpu and amount of RAM. If I were you I'd stick with the 1050ti for now. It's a solid 1080p card. It's been two years since Nvidia and AMD released their last lineups, and I'm guessing the nesxt one is due out this or next year based off precedent. If you're at 1080p I'd stick with it, especially because GPU prices are still inflated from the mining craze. I'm waiting for a GTX 1070 to fall below $380, which I hope happens when the next best thing comes out.

Also, what's the first thing you booted up for your glorious PC gaming experience?

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Anyone else annoyed with that poster Curious George on the main boards?

Well I used to be annoyed seeing him post useless one-liners on every single main board thread and his signature was out of this world annoying right after server change here. So yeah... but then I just stopped reading the main board.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
We've got the same mobo, cpu and amount of RAM. If I were you I'd stick with the 1050ti for now. It's a solid 1080p card. It's been two years since Nvidia and AMD released their last lineups, and I'm guessing the nesxt one is due out this or next year based off precedent. If you're at 1080p I'd stick with it, especially because GPU prices are still inflated from the mining craze. I'm waiting for a GTX 1070 to fall below $380, which I hope happens when the next best thing comes out.

Also, what's the first thing you booted up for your glorious PC gaming experience?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing regarding GPUs. It's either going to be a Bitcoin crash or new hardware being released for any reasonably priced cards to be available.

I fired up Quake Champions as my first jam on the new system. Turns out I still suck. :laugh:

I just got done having my first go at Prey. So far it's really interesting. Definitely had to adjust my play style coming from Quake though haha

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I decided to build myself a computer this year, too. My new year's resolution in fact (one of them). I haven't built a PC in years. Started looking into it...it's so different now. Everything is modular, everything seems to kinda sorta work together, and there are websites that will just tell you whether there are conflicts with your build. Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I decided to build myself a computer this year, too. My new year's resolution in fact (one of them). I haven't built a PC in years. Started looking into it...it's so different now. Everything is modular, everything seems to kinda sorta work together, and there are websites that will just tell you whether there are conflicts with your build. Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

As a noob I can't complain with the ease of building nowadays.

Reactions: Getzmonster
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
As a noob I can't complain with the ease of building nowadays.
It's still satisfying. But it's basically just a PC that comes assembly required now. I dunno. I'm finding it a little less fulfilling. I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. Just trying to build me something that'll still play new games in 6 or 7 years without spending north of $3k.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
@Boogernaut - should be do able at about $1500 if you shop around. If you're at 1080p resolution and not 4k, you can get a GTX1060 and still be fine for 5 years. Should be well under $2k total.

@TesseracT - that's a warehouse of a case ... Look at all that wasted space :sarcasm:

Recently built a new HTPC/gaming system for my living room.
Case = Sentry (custom mini itx case)
DR ZĄBER SENTRY - Console-sized gaming PC case
(they aren't selling any more cases right now, they had a indiegogo last year. But they said they are looking into going retail. there are lots more custom mini itx cases if you are interested here:
Small Form Factor Systems
)

It's smaller than my cable box, smaller than PS4 or XBox1.
It comes with a ribbon cable to move the GPU port so you can install it sideways. Combine it with a SFX PSU, an M.2 SSD and you can fit a full size GTX 1070 inside a case smaller than the xbox1.

TVqVfdL.jpg

The box on the right is my Spectrum cable box. This thing is smaller!

YnLIyF3.jpg

Last edited:

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
It's still satisfying. But it's basically just a PC that comes assembly required now. I dunno. I'm finding it a little less fulfilling. I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. Just trying to build me something that'll still play new games in 6 or 7 years without spending north of $3k.

Damn dude. $3k is a nice budget. If/when I add a Vega 56 or 64 my whole system is only around the $1500 mark. Any idea what GPU(s) you're gonna run?

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
@Boogernaut - should be do able at about $1500 if you shop around. If you're at 1080p resolution and not 4k, you can get a GTX1060 and still be fine for 5 years. Should be well under $2k total.

@TesseracT - that's a warehouse of a case ... Look at all that wasted space :sarcasm:

Recently built a new HTPC/gaming system for my living room.
Case = Sentry (custom mini itx case)
DR ZĄBER SENTRY - Console-sized gaming PC case
(they aren't selling any more cases right now, they had a indiegogo last year. But they said they are looking into going retail. there are lots more custom mini itx cases if you are interested here:
Small Form Factor Systems
)

It's smaller than my cable box, smaller than PS4 or XBox1.
It comes with a ribbon cable to move the GPU port so you can install it sideways. Combine it with a SFX PSU, an M.2 SSD and you can fit a full size GTX 1070 inside a case smaller than the xbox1.

The box on the right is my Spectrum cable box. This thing is smaller!

Haha. I thought hard about going with the Fractal Design Node which is a mini-ITX. I was just too intrigued by tempered glass though. Plus, I want to be able to upgrade without minding much about space. I have an AIO kit for the CPU I need to install this weekend which will fill up some space. It's a micro-ATX case so maybe not as big as the pictures might make it look.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's funny, my entire work is getting sick right now, but the owners/management still won't let the non sick people (me) cover the sick people because they would have to pay for overtime. Feel bad for my coworkers having to work short handed, never a fun time.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Bought (bought, not built) my last rig in early 2010 and I only encountered the first game I flat out could not play last summer (it was No Man's Sky, hahahahahaha). And I think I spent around $1400 on that setup, in 2010 dollars. So you're right, I could probably get away with that budget. But...I mean it's so much fun to spend money on this stuff.

Damn dude. $3k is a nice budget. If/when I add a Vega 56 or 64 my whole system is only around the $1500 mark. Any idea what GPU(s) you're gonna run?

Planning on a 1080 Ti. We'll see what I end up with.

I also got myself a light gaming rig about a year ago. But then I became a father. End of gaming story.

Yeah, a newborn/infant puts a hard end to hours-long gaming sessions. I think I spent about 30 minutes total gaming since my daughter was born in November.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Depending on the CPU and RAM you've got in there you might just be able to upgrade the GPU and be good to go.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Just installed the water AIO CPU cooler. Pulled the old fan off and the damn CPU came with it. I almost shat myself. Tried to pull the CPU off the fan cooler - no luck. Anxiety sets in. Try the twist and pull method and it comes off easily. These parts are more rugged than I thought they would be. At any rate, crisis averted.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
What's the legalities with that? Disney owns and can make whatever they want with the name "Mighty Ducks" because the Anaheim Ducks name is technically a separate and unique entity?
It would depend upon the Asset Purchase Agreement for the team and whether the intellectual property, including the name 'Mighty Ducks' was transferred under the Agreement. It is possible that Disney retained the rights to the 'Mighty Ducks' name for another movie or television show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad