Player Discussion Evander Kane - Part 4

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The only reason I want to trade Kane is that I don't think we can spend another 6M on another forward and that the rebuild needs to be re-jigged.

But I do not believe for one second that this team is better with Kane than without.

Where the **** else would we get goals from

Johan “two way forward” Larsson

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I thought that this year would give us a good idea how well Kane fits to "Housley's up-tempo possession system". The sad part is, that we yet haven't witnessed what that actually means. We have played the big majority of this season with the same system that Bylsma had (dump clearings instead of controlled d-zone-exits, dump ins instead of controlled entries etc.). The biggest difference is that on the o-zone we play a little less conservative (the third forward is not as low as it was with Bylsma), and d-men are more active. But with the puck, on d-zone and n-zone, we play pretty much the same garbage hockey as last year.

Kane has showed to be very productive playing in a that kind of system. But we really don't know how well he would work in a system we're supposed to be playing in. At least for me, that is a big issue if considering making a 7 year 7+ million commitment.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The only reason I want to trade Kane is that I don't think we can spend another 6M on another forward and that the rebuild needs to be re-jigged.

But I do not believe for one second that this team is better with Kane than without.

Where the **** else would we get goals from
From Kane's linemates who aren't getting their production stifled by playing with Kane anymore.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Eichel is as good as people think then any replacement for Kane should easily get 20-25 goals. Right?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If Eichel is as good as people think then any replacement for Kane should easily get 20-25 goals. Right?

Eichel himself would score more if Kane was off his line. If Girgensons was stapled to Eichel the entire season I do think Girgensons would score 20. I know Botterill wouldn't have done it but putting Nylander on Eichel's left side he would score 20 too.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

That's a little too high, I think 15-20 ES goals would be more realistic. Obviously not anyone but I assume you said that for effect.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
That's a little too high, I think 15-20 ES goals would be more realistic. Obviously not anyone but I assume you said that for effect.

Obviously not Jordan Nolan but even a guy like Bailey should be able to hit that if Eichel is the real deal. Factor in the extra 5-10 points Eichel should get playing without a player he's shown zero chemistry with and it should be a wash.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Him and ROR are the only guys that give a shit

But still Evander has to get traded. We can look to try and re-sign him in the off-season but we have the opportunity to add a 1st round pick in a draft loaded with stud defenceman.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What do you mean, we can't?

We can trade him and re-sign him in the off-season in free agency if we really wanted to
The moves you would have to make to create room for him would be very, very impressive.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The moves you would have to make to create room for him would be very, very impressive.

Well I personally don't think we should re-sign him but there are several people on this board that are saying that we should - I'm just saying that either way, he needs to get traded.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah can we please trade Kane asap?? Our 31st ranked offense doesn't need him, dump this bum so we can sign another Okposo or Moulson for the same amount :lol:

Kane just keeps making you haters look foolish. But but Kane stifles offense!! HahahHah KANE IS THE f***ING OFFENSE.

this team is garbage. Straight garbage. It needs another Evander Kane not to lose him.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yeah can we please trade Kane asap?? Our 31st ranked offense doesn't need him, dump this bum so we can sign another Okposo or Moulson for the same amount :lol:

Kane just keeps making you haters look foolish. But but Kane stifles offense!! HahahHah KANE IS THE ****ING OFFENSE.

this team is garbage. Straight garbage. It needs another Evander Kane not to lose him.

We also need to maximize assets

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I just don't get this buzz about trading Kane for a defenseman or a draft pick. I mean, if we get a d-man or two, we're going to be better off losing games 1-0 versus the way were losing now? That makes no sense, we need offense, players that put the puck in the net and right now he is the only player on the ice doing that for us. Why would you want to trade that away?

Negotiate and resign him, and hope like h*** he wants to stay here.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don’t think Kane will want to re-sign in Buffalo unless he really loves the community. I can see him wanting to go to a team closer to winning. Wouldn’t you?

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I don’t think Kane will want to re-sign in Buffalo unless he really loves the community. I can see him wanting to go to a team closer to winning. Wouldn’t you?

I don't think he'll re-sign here and I agree that he probably wants to go to a winner. That said I'm always wary about guys who have career years in a contract year. He's on pace for what, 78 points? Lets say he hits 70. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet after he gets his contract he never comes close to that number again. I'd be willing to put money on it that he is a 40 to 50 point player next season.

My guess is whoever picks him up in free agency gives him $7.5 million over 6 or 7 years. No thanks.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well, by pointing to his goal totals and then pointing to the sabres goal totals and then laughing, you convinced me.

Let's commit to this core hard. Next year's roster: no additions, the only rookies who can come up don't have bonuses, five more guys making a million or less, Reinhart walks for picks. I'm sold.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad