RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
giphy.gif

Reactions: CacOBG

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Evander kane has scored 57 goals as a Sabre in 150 games. Matt Moulson has scored 35 goals his last 249 games as a Sabre. Considering this team has several 5+ mil per players who are garbage Evander Kane is easily worth 6.5 mil. The way Kane is treated around here is laughable.
I don't think anyone here would say they'd rather keep Matt Moulson at his salary vs Kane at whatever he'll command... so saying "you're fine with Moulson but you want to trade Kane?!" seems unnecessary, and wrong. The reason people are entertaining the idea of trading Kane is because we have too many bad unmovable contracts to afford him, so it's better than letting him walk.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
38 goals his last 76 games. Sorry but he has now put up elite goal scoring production over a full season of games. Nearly a quarter of the way in the season and it's EVANDER KANE who is a ppg. With 10 goals in 18 games. Who he not jack eichel leads the team in scoring.

Not extending Kane is clearly showing the rebuild failed and we have several years of suffering coming up. You don't trade a 26 year old power forward scoring at this rate. I do not think Kane is a 40 goal scorer. But he is definitely a 30 goal scorer when healthy and one of the few players here who give a damn. 5 years at 6.5 per. When you pay okposo 6 per for 5 more years after this you must find a way to keep Kane.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
man can't believe I'm saying this but if Kane has grown past his antics then shit yeah sign the hell outta that guy... still don't think he should be anywhere near eichel but always thought he could be one of the best 3rd line guys ever.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
man can't believe I'm saying this but if Kane has grown past his antics then **** yeah sign the hell outta that guy... still don't think he should be anywhere near eichel but always thought he could be one of the best 3rd line guys ever.

The problem is that as long as he's here he's going to be glued to Eichel's left side.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
38 goals his last 76 games. Sorry but he has now put up elite goal scoring production over a full season of games. Nearly a quarter of the way in the season and it's EVANDER KANE who is a ppg. With 10 goals in 18 games. Who he not jack eichel leads the team in scoring.

Not extending Kane is clearly showing the rebuild failed and we have several years of suffering coming up. You don't trade a 26 year old power forward scoring at this rate. I do not think Kane is a 40 goal scorer. But he is definitely a 30 goal scorer when healthy and one of the few players here who give a damn. 5 years at 6.5 per. When you pay okposo 6 per for 5 more years after this you must find a way to keep Kane.
The price to resign Kane is likely north of 6.5 for 5. Probably closer to 7.5 for 7. He's gonna want bank and -- even without Okposo's contract on the books -- I'd be wary of throwing that kind of money and term at him, and I'm a fan.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Not extending Kane is clearly showing the rebuild failed and we have several years of suffering coming up. You don't trade a 26 year old power forward scoring at this rate.
I keep thinking about this as a comparable:
WHAT THE PENGUINS GAVE UP
James Neal – Neal, 26, is a six-time 20-goal scorer and topped out at 40 goals in the 2011-12 season. He’s still an elite talent, but the last two seasons he’s missed several games due to injury and suspension. Neal is a hard talent to part with, but to collect pieces of value you have to give up pieces of value.
“We were just trying to change the mix of our team and get a little different type of player,” Rutherford said.
WHAT THE PENGUINS RECEIVED
Patric Hornqvist – The talented winger is a four-time 20-goal scorer who posted a career-high 30 goals in the 2009-10 season. Hornqvist, 27, plays with grit and isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. He has a finishers touch and should thrive in a top-6 role playing with a star center like Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.
“Hornqvist plays at the net, goes to the net, works the corners,” Rutherford said. “We like Hornqvist a lot. We think he’s a complete player, an all-around player, a player that plays with an edge. He’ll be good in the playoffs.”
This is what I'd hope for out of a Kane trade. Not just futures. I know it's different because Neal was under contract and Kane is a pending UFA but I think this at least shows that trading a 26yo goal scorer doesn't mean giving up or rebuilding.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not extending Kane is clearly showing the rebuild failed and we have several years of suffering coming up.

Whether the rebuild failed or is still underway is only a semantic argument. Either way, there are several years of suffering coming up; and as we've seen over the past few years, Kane does nothing to alleviate the suffering or fix any problems the team currently has. I don't understand your argument.

"We suck with Kane on the team but we need to resign him so we don't suck anymore." Makes no sense.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The last time Evander Kane had a positive impact on a team's 5on5 GF% was 2012-13. Individual scoring means jack shit when you're not helping the team win.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd probably be OK with extending Kane had we made the playoffs last year and we were clearly on the way to contention this year.

The issue is...we're not. Barring a big turn around, even with Kane scoring at a 50 goal pace...we aren't a playoff team. No where close. So, pending UFA whose next contract will take him into his early 30s for a team that finishes in the bottom 10 each year? This really is a no brainer, you maximize the asset.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The last time Evander Kane had a positive impact on a team's 5on5 GF% was 2012-13. Individual scoring means jack **** when you're not helping the team win.
I don't think that correlation has ever equaled causation. There are more variables to look at then the ubiquitous 5v5 gf% vs. 'helping the team win'—whatever that means.

Individual scoring does mean something, but it's not enough to lift an incomplete roster out of the basement. We suck with or without Kane. We suck a little bit less with him, however.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't think that correlation has ever equaled causation. There are more variables to look at then the ubiquitous 5v5 gf% vs. 'helping the team win'—whatever that means.

Individual scoring does mean something, but it's not enough to lift an incomplete roster out of the basement. We suck with or without Kane. We suck a little bit less with him, however.
The evidence from the last 2 seasons says otherwise...

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The only reason I want to trade Kane is that I don't think we can spend another 6M on another forward and that the rebuild needs to be re-jigged.

But I do not believe for one second that this team is better with Kane than without.

Where the f*** else would we get goals from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->