Blow this team up already!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shouldn't the goal be for the young players to not play like Tavares? I honestly can say I've seen more jam in Knies game this playoffs than I ever saw from Tavares (and I know Tavares scored an OT winner).

Tavares also arrived when Matthews, Marner, Nylander were all starting their 3rd seasons. He mentored them into the most underachieving Leafs team of the last 20? 30? 50? years?

John Tavares doesn’t come across as any kind of actual leader but more of a respectable veteran citizen in a strong room. Like if he was on the Vegas Golden Knights he’d be a gud pro who minds his own business and is a good guy. But not the guy to set the culture or inspire anyone. Or mentor anyone.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Drafting Knies was probably a top 2 transaction under Dubas' tenure. One of these days we should grade his transactions, it won't be pretty.

I'm thinking his best moves where his transaction out performed expectations and/or value was
#1 Bunting at league minimum for 2 years
#2 Knies drafted in the 2nd round

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I obviously don't know what his thought process would be, but he's Canadian, and he knows this market (and team) very well. His personality doesn't strike me as the type that would shy away from Toronto. On the contrary, I think he would would relish the spotlight and the challenge.

He always seemed to be flirting with the Toronto media whenever we played Tampa and seemed fond of the Leafs organization in a knowing way. Wouldn’t be surprised if he eyed this job like Babcock did 10 years ago. Organization is still looking for its King Arthur.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Add: Fredrick Andersen + Nazem Kadri
Some of those guys for sure sucked to lose

Kadri + Marchment + Hyman could and should have been kept

Verhaghe isnt a leafs loss really. He was let go by Isles and Tampa as well

Andersen the only loss was not getting 2 2nds after 2019-2020 year for him. It was clear dubas was moving on from andersen. Andersen wasnt the goalie for us and we should have gotten good value for him rather than let him have a bad last year and sit for 7 games before walking

Dakota Joshua is a minor loss, we had Mikheyev who was a comparable player

Leafs havent been good st developing top 6 or 9 players in a while now

Andreas Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Moore, Hyman, Marchment, even Engvall were all strong prospects developed by Toronto.

Since then our best is probably Bobby McMann

Guys like Steeves, Abruzzi, Joey Anderson, Barabanov didnt reach same level for us for some reason for more recent players

Leafs need to find value from their prospeft + young undrafted players pool again to add to the core.

Need a mix of speedy + shifty+ skilled+ gritty + physical. These guys wont be elite at thse things but players who can adjust their game to provide 2 or 3 of the above while having some scoring touch will help us going forward

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Some of those guys for sure sucked to lose

Kadri + Marchment + Hyman could and should have been kept

Verhaghe isnt a leafs loss really. He was let go by Isles and Tampa as well

Andersen the only loss was not getting 2 2nds after 2019-2020 year for him. It was clear dubas was moving on from andersen. Andersen wasnt the goalie for us and we should have gotten good value for him rather than let him have a bad last year and sit for 7 games before walking

Dakota Joshua is a minor loss, we had Mikheyev who was a comparable player

Leafs havent been good st developing top 6 or 9 players in a while now

Andreas Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Moore, Hyman, Marchment, even Engvall were all strong prospects developed by Toronto.

Since then our best is probably Bobby McMann

Guys like Steeves, Abruzzi, Joey Anderson, Barabanov didnt reach same level for us for some reason for more recent players

Leafs need to find value from their prospeft + young undrafted players pool again to add to the core.

Need a mix of speedy + shifty+ skilled+ gritty + physical. These guys wont be elite at thse things but players who can adjust their game to provide 2 or 3 of the above while having some scoring touch will help us going forward

Where are the exceptional D and tenders developed by us? Organizational flaw exposed!

Reactions: egd27 and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We’ll willy didn’t say anything about juniors, he was talking about shooting a puck. He said “that’s the f***ing issue”, not “it’s f***ing juniors”. And yes Matthews was crying about a set play off a PP. if you check the Marner thread I’ve posted multiple sources that have pretty much confirmed it. It’s very Toronto like for people to take to social media to blast a narrative that didn’t happen!

Again who gives a flying f*** about what the fans call these guys. We don’t know what’s going on in the locker room. The fan perspective could be Marner is the cry baby when in reality it could be Matthews who bitches the most behind closed doors, or Nylander, or Rielly. We simply do not know. Most of the times us fans have been dead wrong when it comes to what we think of players personalities lol
??? What did you see different from everyone else he clearly said it's not f***** junior then he might have said something to the effect of what you said but that's definitely what he said

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
If only they had a Zach Hymen type player who could lead by example and go to the dirty areas to score… damn
And I can't believe Shanahan, of all people, couldn't see this. He just sat back and let it happen, he should be embarrassed and ashamed.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Apparently the Leafs are dead last for scoring in the playoffs and they were 2 overall in the regular season.
Can there still be any one anywhere that thinks this core could ever get it done in the playoffs. 8 years of the similar results
I would also like for someone to explain why these core 5 are worth anywhere near what they have been paid

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Posted this in the trade rumour thread but also relevant here:

I think people are going to be surprised when this team doesn't do too much this offseason to shake up the core.

34 and 88 aren't going anywhere

91 isn't going to waive and it doesn't make sense to give up assets to dump him when hes likely coming back on a cheaper contract after next season anyway.

The only question is if 16 wants to leave or not. If he doesn't, hes likely staying.

They will change the coach and coast one season with eyes to 2025-2026 when 91's contract is up and he's re-signed to a much, much more affordable deal. Cap increases and that discount giving them the money they need to spend to augment to roster with more talent, across the board (including getting a long-term 2C fit, allowing JT to be either a winger or strong 3C).

That option - isn't the worst thing. Coupled in with the challenges of creating a trade for Marner, if he even allows for it to happen, makes me think people will be disappointed with the level of change likely to come.

**Assuming they do not come back.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Nobody is in the room to know for sure what kind of captain JT is. But, we also see his play on the ice and his interviews to get a good grasp that he was made in a Tesla Robot factory.
So you're saying JT has atrocious build quality and legendary panel gaps?

Actually that might check out.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
??? What did you see different from everyone else he clearly said it's not f***** junior then he might have said something to the effect of what you said but that's definitely what he said
He didn’t say junior. I posted a video in the Marner thread

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
And I can't believe Shanahan, of all people, couldn't see this. He just sat back and let it happen, he should be embarrassed and ashamed.
I believe his mandate is not to make too many waves or stir up controversy and it worked all along. They flame out of the playoffs in their usual fashion, hold nobody accountable and the fans forget at the start of next season. They can maintain status quo and rame in the cash without much scrutiny. Fortunately, I believe that won’t work anymore.

As a leafs fan, I hope they get absolutely dominated tonight from start to finish so changes will be made. I’m sick of the excuses and the lack of accountability.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The fact that the Islanders significantly improved after his departure demonstrates everything you need to know about the quality of leadership Tavares provides. He is an autistic loser.

This is the most full of shit statement of the century. There is 3 reasons why the islanders went on deep runs post Tavares .

#1. They got a competent coach. Doug Weight sucked as a coach. He flat out could not coach. Trotz literally brought structure.

#2 the Islanders finally got a legit vezina caliber goaltender in Robin Lehner, after running with former Marlie Chris Gibson and Jaroslav Halak. They then transitioned into having Sorokin

#3. They had an influx of GOOD, IMPACTFUL youth graduate from the AHL at the same time and buy into Trotz’s system.

Give them credit they turned the Franchise around. But it has nothing to do with Tavares leaving. They won rounds with him there. If they had Tavares on those teams I think they probably win the cup. They lacked a natural goal scorer at crucial times.

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Apparently the Leafs are dead last for scoring in the playoffs and they were 2 overall in the regular season.
Can there still be any one anywhere that thinks this core could ever get it done in the playoffs. 8 years of the similar results
I would also like for someone to explain why these core 5 are worth anywhere near what they have been paid
Dekes has been explaining it for the past 5 years to the stupid like me. I still don't get it.

Reactions: ruaware41

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I believe his mandate is not to make too many waves or stir up controversy and it worked all along. They flame out of the playoffs in their usual fashion, hold nobody accountable and the fans forget at the start of next season. They can maintain status quo and rame in the cash without much scrutiny. Fortunately, I believe that won’t work anymore.

As a leafs fan, I hope they get absolutely dominated tonight from start to finish so changes will be made. I’m sick of the excuses and the lack of accountability.

I think Tre gets promoted. I like his vision in terms of how a team should be structured but maybe he isn’t the best at executing it.

Then you bring in someone to be the GM who is respected. Eric Tolsky from Carolina would be my choice.

President - Brad Treliving
GM - Eric Tolsky

Clean up the AGM’s, let Pridham go to Pittsburgh

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It’s all Ryan Reaves and Edmundsons fault

Reactions: Racer88

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Ya there is, Reddit is completely delusional. It’s actually laughable over there, they must all be brand new fans or something.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think Tre gets promoted. I like his vision in terms of how a team should be structured but maybe he isn’t the best at executing it.

Then you bring in someone to be the GM who is respected. Eric Tolsky from Carolina would be my choice.

President - Brad Treliving
GM - Eric Tolsky

Clean up the AGM’s, let Pridham go to Pittsburgh
Sure let's hire a rookie Pres and GM. Surely that will go well.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sure let's hire a rookie Pres and GM. Surely that will go well.

Tolsky isn’t a rookie, the guy has been an AGM for a long time. Not just a Marlie guy like Dubas. He’s well respected around the league and credited with being a big part in building Carolina. What do you want? People have to start somewhere. You want Yzerman? Who’s done shit all in Detroit?

Who would be your choice? Cause let me tell you unless your prying someone with experience from another organization, the options are garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad