Confirmed Signing with Link: Evander Kane and Sharks 7 years ×7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
also look at this years UFAs, not many guys i want to spend on if i had cap room this summer, its spending too much but spending on kane this summer isnt bad

he adds toughness, size, and scoring, and your still getting his prime years

Reactions: Phu

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What bothers me is Scheifele doesn't make this much and Scheifele to me deserves to make ten-million a year.

Kane makes more than Scheifele and isn't merely anywhere near as good as he is.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think Buffalo would gladly take him back; especially if San Jose retained salary.

I'm not as sure.

It was reported that they made no attempt to even negotiate a new contract with him.

With new Sabres deal never discussed, Kane awaits trade call

'Kane, however, clearly wishes things were different.

" ... (he) confirmed to The Buffalo News this week what has been widely assumed: The Sabres have never negotiated with him on a new deal.

"Does it surprise me? Well, I've said many times nothing really surprises me," Kane told The News. "This is all part of the business. Both sides. We're in different situations and I understand it all. One thing I've always said is that I've really really enjoyed my time here and will continue to do so for as long as I'm here. My focus is simply game to game, keeping the focus narrow."

'Kane left no doubt he would have entertained negotiations on an extension if the Sabres had approached his representatives...'

"Of course I would have. Absolutely," he said. "I've said from Day One I've really enjoyed the time here. For me, it's a place where I've grown to know more and more about Buffalo. It's been a real great experience for me. I'm just going to continue that until I get told something different."

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What bothers me is Scheifele doesn't make this much and Scheifele to me deserves to make ten-million a year.

Yeah, Schiefele definitely deserves to make $10 million per year. He’s one of the NHL’s very best players. What does that have to do with Kane? It’s not Kane’s fault that Scheifele signed when his career highs were 29 goals and 61 points. If Scheifele was a UFA, I would give him double this contract. That doesnt really have anything to do with Kane.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If Kane was 22 with lots of room to develop and had his current skills, frame etc with no off ice issues, personality issues or red flags around him this would be a good gamble. As it is I think this will be a bad deal for SJ for a long time. Based on his average production the last few years he is a 5.5 player at best. And that is if he was sparkling clean. But maybe he will surprise us all......

Reactions: Flyerfan52

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
This will probably be one of the worst contracts in the league... not to include the fact that SJS now owes Buffalo a 1st lmfao

Reactions: Joe Strummer

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He just got 54 points this past season. Lucic had 55 when he signed and was 27 years old.
Whoops, forgot how to do math. Even still, for a guy whose high water mark over that time period is 54 points, is still an IR case, is a winger, takes a lot of penalties, etc. etc., it's a bad contract.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He can pick LA, Anaheim, and Vegas if he really wants to be a dick.

Lol

Or Winnipeg and Buffalo...

... or pick the 3 teams tightest to the Cap.

With the escalating cap, if he can be a 30+30 guy and get rid of the attitude then it could be a fair deal. Not so sure he can be that though.

Last edited:

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

No one put a gun to Scheifele's head to make him sign that contract. He's easily underpaid by $1 million, but that was a decision that he and his agent chose to make of their own free will.

Why should it bother you how much any NHL player is making? Are they members of your family?

Scheifele took a big hometown discount for the Jets, as some of their players have done in the past. That doesn't mean Kane should or would do the same.

Without the athletes there would be no NHL. Owners don't pay these salaries unless they are still making money from the athletes. These players have brief careers, put their bodies at risk and are the best hockey players in the world. Probably less than one in 1000 hockey players ever sets foot in the NHL. They should all be a paid accordingly. Don't begrudge professional athletes what they make. That reeks of petty jealousy.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I'm not as sure.

It was reported that they made no attempt to even negotiate a new contract with him.

With new Sabres deal never discussed, Kane awaits trade call

'Kane, however, clearly wishes things were different.

" ... (he) confirmed to The Buffalo News this week what has been widely assumed: The Sabres have never negotiated with him on a new deal.

"Does it surprise me? Well, I've said many times nothing really surprises me," Kane told The News. "This is all part of the business. Both sides. We're in different situations and I understand it all. One thing I've always said is that I've really really enjoyed my time here and will continue to do so for as long as I'm here. My focus is simply game to game, keeping the focus narrow."

'Kane left no doubt he would have entertained negotiations on an extension if the Sabres had approached his representatives...'

"Of course I would have. Absolutely," he said. "I've said from Day One I've really enjoyed the time here. For me, it's a place where I've grown to know more and more about Buffalo. It's been a real great experience for me. I'm just going to continue that until I get told something different."

Buffalo had one of the worst teams in the league last year, was tanking for Dahlin and is in the middle of a rebuild. Why would they consider signing Kane for $6 to $7 million/year given those circumstances? Realistically, they should have sold off O'Reilly and all their other players not named Eichel, Reinhart or Ristolainen at the trade deadline this year. I have a feeling they didn't do that because completely giving up would have pissed Eichel off even more. I think Eichel is one of the top 10 skaters in the league and Buffalo is building their franchise around them, so they had best keep him happy.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No one put a gun to Scheifele's head to make him sign that contract. He's easily underpaid by $1 million, but that was a decision that he and his agent chose to make of their own free will.

Why should it bother you how much any NHL player is making? Are they members of your family?

Scheifele took a big hometown discount for the Jets, as some of their players have done in the past. That doesn't mean Kane should or would do the same.

Without the athletes there would be no NHL. Owners don't pay these salaries unless they are still making money from the athletes. These players have brief careers, put their bodies at risk and are the best hockey players in the world. Probably less than one in 1000 hockey players ever sets foot in the NHL. They should all be a paid accordingly. Don't begrudge professional athletes what they make. That reeks of petty jealousy.

HF still operates under the assumption that players don't love money and should play for peanuts.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
... or pick the 3 teams tightest to the Cap.

With the escalating cap, if he can be a 30+30 guy and get rid of the attitude then it could be a fair deal. Not so sure he can be that though.

I honestly don’t think the attitude will be a problem. Just about every San Jose player who is on Instagram has posted a picture of themselves with Kane and added a caption about how excited they are to have him on the team.

The injuries are the concern for me. I think he is clearly a 30-30 caliber player when healthy but is he going to be healthy for 82 or even 75 games per season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad