Confirmed Signing with Link: Evander Kane and Sharks 7 years ×7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You've got that backwards. E Kane came into the dressing room in his track suit (against the dress code) & casually announced he was having elective surgery rather than helping the Jets try to get that 1st ever playoff spot they were striving for. That was the final straw.

BTW, read about his off ice antics those years in the Peg. Fights in nightclubs, trying to get restaurant owners to pay him to eat there because surely having the immortal Evander Kane would pack even more into restaurants that had waiting lists.

Demanding a trade right after the Thrashers were transfered while his teammates were buying in & giving the new location a chance didn't buy him much love either (from fans nor players).

Good thing the Sabres were looking to tank so traded a ransom for a problem child.

SJ just bought a big problem. Look @ his record & you'll see his best & healthiest years are always the 1s when playing for that next contract. If the high expectations are ever met look for them to be in year 7.

I think he and the Sharks will be fine. They're not as uptight as an organization as Winnipeg seems to be. There's a little more room in there for personalities to be themselves. Getting bent out of shape over a dress code violation in that environment doesn't exactly shine a good light on the rest of the players and organization there even if Kane is in the wrong as well.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
7 million is the new 5 million.

Pretty much. And these numbers will only continue to climb. After seatle plays its 1st season the league will probably see another 5 million dollar raise of the cap like its potentially doing this year because of vegas.

Reactions: Phu

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's a little more complicated than that.

IIRC:
The current team can only offer an eighth year if the player was on their roster on the prior trade deadline (which I believe Kane was).

If a team trades for a UFA player's rights before July 1st and after the deadline, they cannot offer an 8th year.
That's right. The player has to be on the team's reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline.

Can you provide a source for this? I've been trying to find this for a while and haven't found anything.
Pages 284-285 of the CBA:
50.8 Prohibited SPC Terms and Practices.

(b) The following practices also shall not be permitted under this Agreement and may not be included in any SPC, nor otherwise agreed to by any Club, any person or any entity:

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, not really. All the top teams have their cores built internally. Why overpay a ufa when you're likely getting someone past their prime? Big game hunting on July 1st, hardly ever pans out.
The only team this is really true for is the Penguins. The Blackhawks and Kings were absolutely stuffed with big/bad contacts.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not to mention those Toews and Kopitar contracts.

If we're going to criticize the Sharks for Kane, then we have to count retentions as well.

I think Toews and Kopitar were both making a fair amount of money before those big contracts, though, and I’m fairly certain that neither of those teams have won a playoff round since those big contracts were signed.

UFA is very useful for filling holes on 2nd and 3rd tier players but it’s not the place to go hunting for a franchise player unless it’s somebody like John Tavares.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Toews and Kopitar were both making a fair amount of money before those big contracts, though, and I’m fairly certain that neither of those teams have won a playoff round since those big contracts were signed.

UFA is very useful for filling holes on 2nd and 3rd tier players but it’s not the place to go hunting for a franchise player unless it’s somebody like John Tavares.
I agree with that because franchise money in UFA is eight digits and generally, a player worth that won't make it to UFA.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree with that because franchise money in UFA is eight digits and generally, a player worth that won't make it to UFA.

That is if they are happy with the current team. Stamkos just made it to free agency. Tavares could be also. And you would find not many fans that would not call them franchise players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That is if they are happy with the current team. Stamkos just made it to free agency. Tavares could be also. And you would find not many fans that would not call them franchise players.
Stamkos went back to Tampa though. Who's the last prime franchise player to sign elsewhere?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You've got that backwards. E Kane came into the dressing room in his track suit (against the dress code) & casually announced he was having elective surgery rather than helping the Jets try to get that 1st ever playoff spot they were striving for. That was the final straw.

BTW, read about his off ice antics those years in the Peg. Fights in nightclubs, trying to get restaurant owners to pay him to eat there because surely having the immortal Evander Kane would pack even more into restaurants that had waiting lists.

Demanding a trade right after the Thrashers were transfered while his teammates were buying in & giving the new location a chance didn't buy him much love either (from fans nor players).

Good thing the Sabres were looking to tank so traded a ransom for a problem child.

SJ just bought a big problem. Look @ his record & you'll see his best & healthiest years are always the 1s when playing for that next contract. If the high expectations are ever met look for them to be in year 7.
A timeline of Evander Kane 'episodes' with Jets - Sportsnet.ca

Most of what you claim is false.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
ept_sports_nhl_experts-120089767-1293487825.jpg

Kane deserves 7 million until the end of eternity for providing us this great moment in hockey history.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Stamkos went back to Tampa though. Who's the last prime franchise player to sign elsewhere?

You wouldn't sign in tampa though? Stamkos keeps like all of his salary. Tampa has barely any taxes

Thornton with the 8 mil he made this year took home something stupid like 3.9 mil after taxes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Did they confirm his actual salary yet? The OP's tweet just said it "may" be in the 7x7 range.

Yeah, it’s been confirmed. I forget where I saw the tweet but he’s making something like 9M and 8M in the first couple years with 2-3M in signing bonuses and then it drops to like 6M near the end.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Single season career highs of 30 goals 27 assists 57 points. He shouldn't have a contact with a cap hit of 7 million a year especially for 7 years. Its not like he has proven to be a dominate playoff performer with his 5 points in 9 career playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad