Status
Not open for further replies.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Lucic had 3 x 60 pt seasons under his belt and only got $6MM

And we've seen how bad that one is starting to look within 2 years

I can't think of a single player getting 7 x7 that's averaged 40 pt seasons and never even cracked 60 pts once in their career

However, that was a long time ago. Inflation has definitely hiked players' prices.

And Lucic was also 1 years older than him when he signed that deal, and he played a style that will likely decline faster than Kane.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
at least the leafs have won something. the sharks haven't done anything at all. 25 years and nada. also, the kessel contract was not a dud at all.
When did the Leafs win something? In 1992? The Sharks won the Western Conference two years ago. That is winning something.

The Kessel contract was definitely a dud, and if it wasn't, then why did the Leafs retain salary?

Reactions: mrpither and HydroF

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Did I anger you? I'm giving you an unbiased opinion. Kane has 10+ seasons in the NHL, he isn't really an unknown entity. You know what he is, an injury prone cancer that isn't worth the contract.

David Clarkson was probably the only bad contract and we immediatley cried about it. I know you need to take your anger out on someone because you realize the contract is bad as well, but calm down boy
Yes, very unbiased. The Lupul and Phaneuf contracts were good.:rolleyes:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not the biggest Evander Kane fan, I definitely think this is a little high. I think he probably would have gotten 6 from another team, but he fits a need for the Sharks and played well there after the trade. His goal production helps replace the loss of Patty Marleau, so I understand the overpayment, but I'm not necessarily the biggest fan.

They could have done worse, but it's a meh contract for me.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not the biggest Evander Kane fan, I definitely think this is a little high. I think he probably would have gotten 6 from another team, but he fits a need for the Sharks and played well there after the trade. His goal production helps replace the loss of Patty Marleau, so I understand the overpayment, but I'm not necessarily the biggest fan.

They could have done worse, but it's a meh contract for me.
How could they have possibly done worse?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It's a bad contract and one I wouldn't give but let's not pretend this is in any way remarkable. It's pro sports. As long as the NHL is doing well financially and the salary cap goes up, there will be salary inflation and every year, some players who are in the right situation will break the bank.

In a competitive league, it takes only one to offer the contract and there are often many teams who are willing. Even when people cite awful contracts, it's not uncommon to find out that many teams, not just one, were willing to overpay. Lucic, who has been cited on this thread, comes to mind.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Yes, very unbiased. The Lupul and Phaneuf contracts were good.:rolleyes:
I'd say they were... Lupul was very good. It can't be helped he turned into glass.

Regardless... it's irrelevant. Kane's contract is just as bad if not worse. You can bash leaf contracts all you want, I won't even bother denying them cause really, who cares, we've passed the hurdle. We've suffered years of garbage hockey because of those bad contracts. It doesn't make Kane's contract look any better :huh:

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
My final post to this thread (hopefully it will make at least one person *think* before posting to another Evander Kane thread in the future):

People (especially Jets fans) continue to hate Kane over even the most innocuous things over three years after he's left the team. Is that normal behavior? Is it normal for Jets fans to *immediately* rush over to *every* new thread about Kane in other teams sections on HFBoards and give a day by day, hour by hour documentation of all of his alleged transgressions against humanity? Or how about posting the "Moneyphone™" or "Moneypush™" photos in every Kane thread? Yesterday someone went as far as to post a photo of him being handcuffed by police. Is this supposed to publicly shame him? As far as I know Kane was never found guilty of doing anything. At what point will the Internet vigilantes stop? Ever?

And listen to the angriness in the language of most of the posts attacking Kane even now. How many times has he been called an idiot, stupid, dullest to tool in the shed (yesterday), etc.? W. T. F. ??? Do posting these comments make people feel better about themselves? Do you see *any* other players similarly being persistently attacked online (besides maybe Subban)? What does that tell you about the people attacking Kane?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
When did the Leafs win something? In 1992? The Sharks won the Western Conference two years ago. That is winning something.

The Kessel contract was definitely a dud, and if it wasn't, then why did the Leafs retain salary?
The leafs retained salary because Pittsburgh couldnt afford to ice a full team if Toronto didn't retain on him.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
at least the leafs have won something. the sharks haven't done anything at all. 25 years and nada. also, the kessel contract was not a dud at all.

When did the Leafs win anything relevant? 25 years x 2. 50 years plus. The Sharks have been the more successful team by a mile the last 25 years. This comment is ridiculous

Reactions: THall4 and mrpither

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I honestly don’t think the attitude will be a problem. Just about every San Jose player who is on Instagram has posted a picture of themselves with Kane and added a caption about how excited they are to have him on the team.

The injuries are the concern for me. I think he is clearly a 30-30 caliber player when healthy but is he going to be healthy for 82 or even 75 games per season?
Lol. Buffalo did the same and Winnipeg liked him in the beginning too. Maybe give him more than a couple months on the team before saying how much everyone loves him lol .

Reactions: Flyerfan52

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Broke the 50 point barrier once in the last 6 seasons, locker room cancer in Winnipeg, serious off-ice issues, ...

His cancerous atmosphere in Winnipeg was so bad, it still lingered in the Jets' dressing room this season. ;)

My one issue with this contract is where's the discount for giving up a 1st round pick? I don't see any as this is UFA market rate pay. That's the one disappointment I have on DW for this contract/trade.

I'd much rather have Kane's contract than Toews. $7m vs $10.5M where Kane has a far better season in contribution to his club than Toews.

Also, comparing Kane to Marleau's contract at $6.25M, it's not horrible at all. Marleau has been performing at high 40's PTS per season these last seasons, and it doesn't look any better for the rest of his Leaf contract. Also, Kane brings far more physical play than Marleau ever did in teal. Finally, there's the age factoring in comparing the two.

I'd prefer something like $6.75M to show some discount for that 1st round pick. But, it's not like Buffalo is going to do something with it anyway. DW's track record for 1st round picks is not great either.

Last edited:
Reactions: minisharkpanther

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I just noticed he has a 3 team limited trade clause. While this seems stupid since it doesn't really give SJ much power, I am guessing this is a safe guard for the next expansion draft which means Kane can be exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad