Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What teams would realistically afford Marner and he would make sense on their roster?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

1715048909230.gif

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
What teams would realistically afford Marner and he would make sense on their roster?

A lot of teams.
I see Penguin looking for someone to replace Crosby who has 2 years left maybe.
Malkin is almost done

LA will need to replace Kopitar who's done this year. They'll need to replace his production and need a few face of organization

Utah has a lot of cap space. Need to make playoffs. Need to make some noise in new city

Capitals. Backstrom replacement

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Marner and Tavares for Dubois (2.5m retained), Doughty, and Clarke. Who says no?

I know, I know, Dubois sucks. It's true. But he might not suck THAT bad for 6 mil.

The real get here is Clarke, but we definitely overhaul the D and our identity in one fell swoop.

LA gets off the Dubois mistake (mostly) and swap three years x 11 mil of Doughty for one year x 11 mil of Tavares. They also get a superstar to play with Byfield.

Domi-Matthews-(Cowan or FA)
Knies-Dubois-Nylander
McMann-(Minten?)-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Doughty
McCabe-(Roy?)
Benoit-Clarke

Robertson and Liljegren can be traded for picks or futures

Obviously a trade of that magnitude would never happen, but I don't hate it.

• Wow
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How's he going to do that when we don't play him on Matthews line at all. Who is going to score the 69 goals for him?
He's barely a 100 point player while playing with a top 3 center in this league. He would be wise to agree to a sign and trade and secure an 8 year contract for 12 million. Then he basically has an entire career of being paid like an elite player, all thanks to playing with two of the absolute top centers of their eras in their primes. Had he went to Phoenix instead, I bet he has earnngs similar to Ehlers.

Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner and Tavares for Dubois (2.5m retained), Doughty, and Clarke. Who says no?

I know, I know, Dubois sucks. It's true. But he might not suck THAT bad for 6 mil.

The real get here is Clarke, but we definitely overhaul the D and our identity in one fell swoop.

LA gets off the Dubois mistake (mostly) and swap three years x 11 mil of Doughty for one year x 11 mil of Tavares. They also get a superstar to play with Byfield.

Domi-Matthews-(Cowan or FA)
Knies-Dubois-Nylander
McMann-(Minten?)-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Doughty
McCabe-(Roy?)
Benoit-Clarke

Robertson and Liljegren can be traded for picks or futures

Obviously a trade of that magnitude would never happen, but I don't hate it.
We xertainly dont want Dubois. Dubois is a player with questionable passion from what ive read anyhow (havent minded his willingness to play dirty vs Toronto though myself).

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He's barely a 100 point player while playing with a top 3 center in this league. He would be wise to agree to a sign and trade and secure an 8 year contract for 12 million. Then he basically has an entire career of being paid like an elite player, all thanks to playing with two of the absolute top centers of their eras in their primes. Had he went to Phoenix instead, I bet he has earnngs similar to Ehlers.

He has literally milked the Leafs franchise for as much as he could while giving little back in the playoffs...there is no other franchise where he makes this kind of money and receives all these endorsements for the type of player he is.

Reactions: arso40

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
It's all in the players hands. You can guess however you want and sure its fun BUT the players will decide when and where they want to play. Speaking of the whipping boy Marner.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He'll have the audacity after that interview to ask for a raise after an already-gaudy $11 mill AAV price tag.

If he really wanted to be here and win .. he'd take it down a notch on his next deal. Take a 2 year deal at $8 mill Mitch, show your worth when it counts, and cash in on your next deal. At 27, a short deal could prime himself for a 7-8 year deal into his mid-30's.

But in all seriousness, he needs a change of scenery. Likely lights it up somewhere else, because we're the Leafs and we're cursed.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's all in the players hands. You can guess however you want and sure its fun BUT the players will decide when and where they want to play. Speaking of the whipping boy Marner.

If he doesn't want to be traded, then let him walk when his contract is done...better than being tied up by his cap hit for another 8 years, that would be insane...Islanders made it to the conference finals after Tavares walked for nothing.

Reactions: Brown Dog

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I hope we are done with the Marner god angle. He was only saying that it is very tough when the fans put you on a pedestal and you fail to live up to their expectations. As much as I am disappointed by his playoff performance, the abuse he has taken for that comment is unwarranted.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I hope we are done with the Marner god angle. He was only saying that it is very tough when the fans put you on a pedestal and you fail to live up to their expectations. As much as I am disappointed by his playoff performance, the abuse he has taken for that comment is unwarranted.

It's not the fans fault...he put himself on the pedestal for demanding so much money...he's the one who thinks he is a god and wanted to be paid like one...he failed himself.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Bringing Mitch back is the literal definition of insanity

To be fair.... if Mitch wants to be here BADLY, and wants the pressure off his back, there's a real simple solution.

Sign for 8 years, $9.5m. Do what Matthews & Nylander wouldn't / didn't. Take a meaningful discount for a shot to win.

Yes, if he thinks he's worth $12.5m, you're asking him to walk away from $24m... which is undoubtedly a lot of money.... but maybe not in the grand scheme of things for a guy who already has $65m in career earnings, and would be signing up for another $76m.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He'll have the audacity after that interview to ask for a raise after an already-gaudy $11 mill AAV price tag.

If he really wanted to be here and win .. he'd take it down a notch on his next deal. Take a 2 year deal at $8 mill Mitch, show your worth when it counts, and cash in on your next deal. At 27, a short deal could prime himself for a 7-8 year deal into his mid-30's.

But in all seriousness, he needs a change of scenery. Likely lights it up somewhere else, because we're the Leafs and we're cursed.

I don't think that's at all likely for him.

It's one thing to ask him to leave $3.5m on the table for 2 years. It's another to ask him to leave ~$70m on the table for years 3-8. The risk in doing that, with injuries, etc.; is kinda crazy.

Marner turned 27 yesterday. A 2 year deal would make him 30 when his next contract expires. While the cap will have presumably jumped a bunch, there's far too much risk in a deal like that.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
My ears might need cleaning but I thought I heard something a little different:

GM7Ibn-XgAA3Nx7.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad