Proposal: Erik Karlsson to Pittsburgh

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Colin White was getting games for Ottawa I'd be more inclined to say yes to Sheary for Pageau because then there would at least be a succession plan in place. However if Pageau's out, I'm not really sure who fills that #3C role in Ottawa, or who scores for the Sens against Montreal. Maybe Zack Smith because he wouldn't be needed in a top 6 winger role if Sheary was in the lineup.

I know he's injured but if Chris Wideman was included as well, what about Wideman and Pageau for Sheary and Sheahan?

Is Wideman any better than Ruhwedel? And if so, is it enough to move Sheahan? Sheahan has been very good for PIT... I'd just move him to 4C and carry on. Qualify him this summer (~2.2m) and deal with him then if we do not want/need him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is there any particular reason why Sheary's production has dropped this year? He only has one point more than Pageau which is concerning. The Sens have bought high on small forwards in the past (Cory Conacher) only to see them fall off a cliff and eventually turn into a nothing return.

The entire team's production has dropped significantly. Crosby's ES production went from .85 last year to .5 this year. Malkin's went from .79 to .6, and the team overall went from being one of the top scoring teams in the league to one of the worst. The only reason why our top player's numbers do not look terrible, is because our PP has been lethal and is propping up their overall numbers. When that happens, it's going to affect everyone else - and it has.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Is Wideman any better than Ruhwedel? And if so, is it enough to move Sheahan? Sheahan has been very good for PIT... I'd just move him to 4C and carry on. Qualify him this summer (~2.2m) and deal with him then if we do not want/need him.

Wideman is very capable at running point on a powerplay. .5ppg this year before getting injured. I like him quite a bit but the writings on the wall that he won't be resigned at the end of the year. They put him as a forward which is essentially a death wish.

I proposed Sheahan because without Pageau as the #3C there are a lot of question marks in that role. He's an RFA and the end of the year and if he works out they could resign him or let him go and still have Conor Sheary to show for it. Ottawa takes on a bit more of a cap hit in the deal Wideman (800,000) Pageau (3.1) vs. Sheary (3) and Sheahan (2.075) so there is a bit more room if you wanted to take Cullen back from Minny afterwards.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
And I want to win the lotto - but that's even more likely to happen then Pittsburgh trading Malkin. Ottawa would never get a player like Malkin as the return for Karlsson - it just will not happen. But hey, at least you're ambitious and have high hopes... just be prepared to be disappointed, because there's zero chances of them getting met.
And there is zero chance Pitts will get karlsson. I'm not going to be disappointed because hes likely going no where. Hence close this thread

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wideman is very capable at running point on a powerplay. .5ppg this year before getting injured. I like him quite a bit but the writings on the wall that he won't be resigned at the end of the year. They put him as a forward which is essentially a death wish.

I proposed Sheahan because without Pageau as the #3C there are a lot of question marks in that role. He's an RFA and the end of the year and if he works out they could resign him or let him go and still have Conor Sheary to show for it. Ottawa takes on a bit more of a cap hit in the deal Wideman (800,000) Pageau (3.1) vs. Sheary (3) and Sheahan (2.075) so there is a bit more room if you wanted to take Cullen back from Minny afterwards.

Wideman's PP abilities wouldn't really be used for the Pens as they have Letang and Schultz.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Karlsson is not getting traded until the team trading for him can do a sign and trade. That is July 1st 2018.... If the Sens are interested in actually trading Karlsson, you are going to have to pay up big time!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why would we trade for a worse, older, still expensive and more injury prone defenceman?

Isn't the assumption of the trade that Karlsson isn't going to re-sign? So the "why" would be you're getting a legitimate #1D who is signed for more years in return for one who doesn't want to stick around.

Of course it's a downgrade, but exactly who do you think you'll get for Karlsson? Getting a replacement #1D for a guy who is leaving seems kind of a decent return, no?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Isn't the assumption of the trade that Karlsson isn't going to re-sign? So the "why" would be you're getting a legitimate #1D who is signed for more years in return for one who doesn't want to stick around.

Of course it's a downgrade, but exactly who do you think you'll get for Karlsson? Getting a replacement #1D for a guy who is leaving seems kind of a decent return, no?

If they're trading Karlsson, they're giving up on the team for the near future.

They'd want younger players or picks, not older ones.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It depends on what direction Ottawa wants to go. Ottawa is a franchise who does things a little different being a budget team with a hands on owner. Look at what just happened with Turris, they traded away assets to get an extra year of Duchene. The real world comes into play a bit more with Ottawa. It is not outrageous to think that a Letang plus for Karlsson swap could take place. Not saying it would or should, but there is more at play that just looking at value on paper.
Both Letang and Karlsson are #1 RD. Karlsson is up soon and is due for a big raise. If Melnyk decides he isn't paying a hockey player 10 mil a year, he could look at Letang's 7.25 mil for this year and 4 more as being a budget friendly #1 RD and at the same time gain some futures or move another expensive contract.
Something like Letang, Sheary, 1st for Karlsson. Or Letang, Hagelin, Sprong, 1st for Karlsson and Ryan @6mil.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I think remove Dzingel, add Guentzel, change that second to another 1st and you have a deal. Guentzel, Sprong and couple firsts are close if Sens really want to trade EK. Doubt they will though.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Karlsson for next two years is good and if you get to play with Crosby or Malkin, new Guentzels will be found.

Name the other Guentzels that have sprouted up playing with Crosby/Malkin. Name another player that has led the playoffs in goals playing with Crosby/Malkin.

I understand why you say this but there are very few that can play well with Crosby/Malkin. Guentzel is one of those few because he sees the game like them (especially Crosby).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad