• Erik Karlsson, D ($6.5M)
• Ryan Dzingel, LW ($1.8M)

Ottawa receives:
• Kris Letang, D ($7.5M)
• Daniel Sprong, RW
• 2018 First Round Pick
• 2019 Second Round Pick

Why Pittsburgh Does It:
The Penguins are exploring shaking up the team. Karlsson may be having a down year (most likely due to injury) but he is arguably one of the greatest defenseman of all time and is an upgrade over Letang. Going for it with Karlsson for the next two years is worth giving up Letang's longer salary and Sprong. Dzingel is a good bottom six player.

Why Ottawa Does It:
The Senators are in a major funk right now, and with their owner's indecisiveness towards paying players alot of money and with the threat of him walking for nothing, trade Karlsson. Letang when healthy is a top pairing D-Man, and is still only 30 years old and signed for another 4 years at $7.5 AAV (around the going rate for top pairing defenseman). Sprong has the potential to be a top six player and is still on his rookie contract. With the extra picks they could try and use it to dump Bobby Ryan and his salary.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Not only is it not enough, but it wouldn't make sense from a budgetary standpoint. Ottawa sends the two best players in the trade for two worse (and more expensive*) players, plus some prospects/draft picks? It would make us worse immediately. No thanks.

* Karlsson and Letang are effectively a wash for the next two years but Dzingel is younger, better and cheaper than Hagelin. Yeah, I guess Burrows helps offset the difference but it makes no sense from a hockey standpoint since Karl and Dzingel are better than Letang and Hags.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Terrible for Ottawa

A Karlsson to Pittsburgh trade probably begins with Maata

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not only is it not enough, but it wouldn't make sense from a budgetary standpoint. Ottawa sends the two best players in the trade for two worse (and more expensive*) players, plus some prospects/draft picks? It would make us worse immediately. No thanks.

* Karlsson and Letang are effectively a wash for the next two years but Dzingel is younger, better and cheaper than Hagelin. Yeah, I guess Burrows helps offset the difference but it makes no sense from a hockey standpoint since Karl and Dzingel are better than Letang and Hags.

I hope you just worded this wrong.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Pittsburgh needs a shutdown defenseman, along with Karlsson.

We have several of those. Letang despite his production hasn't been playing at a level that is acceptable.

As for the deal... there's no way I'd be adding much beyond Letang and a pick or two until there was more certainty around Karlsson's future (aka a discussion regarding an extension). I certainly would not be adding Sprong.

As for Ottawa... they only move him if they know his ask and are either unwilling to sign it, or that he won't sign there. At that point, Letang's contract of 4x7.25m becomes a pretty big asset compared to Karlsson's - and PIT wouldn't be adding all that much to him.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Pittsburgh receives:

Ottawa receives:
• Kris Letang, D ($7.5M)
• Daniel Sprong, RW
• 2018 First Round Pick
• 2019 Second Round Pick

Why Pittsburgh Does It:
The Penguins are exploring shaking up the team. Karlsson may be having a down year (most likely due to injury) but he is arguably one of the greatest defenseman of all time and is an upgrade over Letang. Going for it with Karlsson for the next two years is worth giving up Letang's longer salary and Sprong. Dzingel is a good bottom six player.

Why Ottawa Does It:
The Senators are in a major funk right now, and with their owner's indecisiveness towards paying players alot of money and with the threat of him walking for nothing, trade Karlsson. Letang when healthy is a top pairing D-Man, and is still only 30 years old and signed for another 4 years at $7.5 AAV (around the going rate for top pairing defenseman). Sprong has the potential to be a top six player and is still on his rookie contract. With the extra picks they could try and use it to dump Bobby Ryan and his salary.

Thoughts?
Add Maata and maybe Ottawa thinks about it.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Screws PIT cap up pretty bad in 1.5 years. Gives us a pretty good shot at the next two Stanley Cups though, so long as Karlsson's foot issues haven't now made him an equal or lesser player to Letang.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pittsburgh receives:

Ottawa receives:
• Kris Letang, D ($7.5M)
• Daniel Sprong, RW
• 2018 First Round Pick
• 2019 Second Round Pick

Why Pittsburgh Does It:

Why Ottawa Does It:

Thoughts?
Letang has a no trade in his contract he would never approve a trade to Ottawa

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If the primary reason for Karlsson leaving Ottawa was to be money, there is no way in hell they would be taking Letang back.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think remove Dzingel, add Guentzel, change that second to another 1st and you have a deal. Guentzel, Sprong and couple firsts are close if Sens really want to trade EK. Doubt they will though.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Karlsson for next two years is good and if you get to play with Crosby or Malkin, new Guentzels will be found.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This isn't enough for Karlsson, but just FYI, there is a difference between a player like Karlsson's value and how much a team would actually offer for him. That is market value

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Pitts doesn't have the pieces. Or pieces they would want to give up. It would def be something starting around Malkin.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No chance Letang is the centerpiece of a Karlsson deal, just doesn't make sense.

If you asked me what it would take right now I'd say something around Malkin (i.e not happening). If the summer rolls around and Karlsson makes it very clear he's not re-signing and forces a trade I'd be looking at a package of younger players (Mattaa, Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong, 1st, ect)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Why would we trade for a worse, older, still expensive and more injury prone defenceman?

If you had a feeling that you couldn't retain your younger, often better (not always), less expensive but on the verge of being much more expensive defenseman. You gain assets and picks in the process - that's asset management.

Now, why this particular trade? Not sure. Also not sure Karlsson garnishes a whole lot without some sort of contract commitment. The only teams wanting a rental defensemen of that caliber would be contenders - and contenders are going to be highly selective of what they give up...obviously if they give up too much then they lose their status of contender. Likely why these deals always fail on public forums - nobody here seems to like the idea of a middle ground on any argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad