Proposal: Erik Karlsson to Pittsburgh

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
There's no way in hell Penguins would ever add Guentzel to that for 1 year of Karlsson. I'd rather them take their chances at him in the free agency, if he gets to it.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pittsburgh receives:
• Erik Karlsson, D ($6.5M)
• Ryan Dzingel, LW ($1.8M)

Ottawa receives:
• Kris Letang, D ($7.5M)
• Daniel Sprong, RW
• 2018 First Round Pick
• 2019 Second Round Pick

Why Pittsburgh Does It:
The Penguins are exploring shaking up the team. Karlsson may be having a down year (most likely due to injury) but he is arguably one of the greatest defenseman of all time and is an upgrade over Letang. Going for it with Karlsson for the next two years is worth giving up Letang's longer salary and Sprong. Dzingel is a good bottom six player.

Why Ottawa Does It:
The Senators are in a major funk right now, and with their owner's indecisiveness towards paying players alot of money and with the threat of him walking for nothing, trade Karlsson. Letang when healthy is a top pairing D-Man, and is still only 30 years old and signed for another 4 years at $7.5 AAV (around the going rate for top pairing defenseman). Sprong has the potential to be a top six player and is still on his rookie contract. With the extra picks they could try and use it to dump Bobby Ryan and his salary.

Thoughts?

And ottawa adds Dzingel bhahahahahaha

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you had a feeling that you couldn't retain your younger, often better (not always), less expensive but on the verge of being much more expensive defenseman. You gain assets and picks in the process - that's asset management.

Now, why this particular trade? Not sure. Also not sure Karlsson garnishes a whole lot without some sort of contract commitment. The only teams wanting a rental defensemen of that caliber would be contenders - and contenders are going to be highly selective of what they give up...obviously if they give up too much then they lose their status of contender. Likely why these deals always fail on public forums - nobody here seems to like the idea of a middle ground on any argument.

I'm not trying to be completely unproductive.

I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks that Karlsson will return his market value given his contract status, current level of play and dubious health.

It just seems as if Letang doesn't really answer any of those questions either.

In some ways, he's almost counter-productive because he still takes up a sizeable amount of cap space. If the decision is made to trade Karlsson, acquiring Letang just delays the inevitable anyway.

Ottawa picked up Kovalev awhile back to artificially prolong a competitive window that was pretty much closed anyway. They might have been better off not having him at all.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No chance Letang is the centerpiece of a Karlsson deal, just doesn't make sense.

If you asked me what it would take right now I'd say something around Malkin (i.e not happening). If the summer rolls around and Karlsson makes it very clear he's not re-signing and forces a trade I'd be looking at a package of younger players (Mattaa, Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong, 1st, ect)

Malkin > 1.5 years of Karlsson

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I understand the not wanting to sign an unsigned player but isn't there ways around that where a handshake agreement is in place.
There would be no sense in Ottawa trading Karlsson without him being signed long term.
So either Sens sign and trade or a team trades for his rights with a handshake agreement in place ... I know tampering etc but there has to be a way.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
karlsson is a top 3-5 player in the league, Pens fans are bringing weak sauce to the trade table, that offer gets easily beat by many other teams.

I think Karlsson is a rare case because players of that value are never available, you won’t see GM’s making these weak offers thinking they’ll actually land him because he’s going to be a FA. As if other GM’s aren’t going to outbid each other until the offers are near market value. I don’t think anyone would be worried about him signing either, that a bs exscuse used to low-ball, everyone knows if you pay him he’ll sign.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Letang has a no trade in his contract he would never approve a trade to Ottawa

Maybe, maybe not. But it's a limited one, so he can't block everyone, and it would have been one that he likely would have written in the summer, when Ottawa was coming off their game 7 ECF double OT loss.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the primary reason for Karlsson leaving Ottawa was to be money, there is no way in hell they would be taking Letang back.

Why? Ottawa would be securing a #1D who's signed for 4 more seasons at an affordable 7.25m. That's something that allows Ottawa to work out their roster while not having to go through a complete rebuild.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pitts doesn't have the pieces. Or pieces they would want to give up. It would def be something starting around Malkin.

Man this place cracks me up sometimes. You're dreaming if that's the sort of return you think you're going to get for him. No one will offer that - no one.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't think Letang is the type of player they should be trading for. Moving on from Karlsson pretty much means you're moving towards a rebuild. It can be a short rebuild if they do It right.

They need to get young cost controlled high potential players.

Letang with all his injuries and his struggles this year would scare the heck out of me if I am Ottawa.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I don't think Letang is the type of player they should be trading for. Moving on from Karlsson pretty much means you're moving towards a rebuild. It can be a short rebuild if they do It right.

They need to get young cost controlled high potential players.

Letang with all his injuries and his struggles this year would scare the heck out of me if I am Ottawa.

Like Karlsson with his foot and his own struggles?

Reactions: td_ice

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Like Karlsson with his foot and his own struggles?

Don't even want to get into comparing Letangs injury history to Karlsson coming off a relatively routine surgery and missing all off training camp.

Same thing happened with Benn, Giroux, Gostisbehere last year and they have rebounded as expected.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad