Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Karlsson isn't just a generational defenceman to Ottawa, he is a living icon who holds more value than his on ice performances.

Having said that, he deserves to play on a contending team who flashes cash to be the best of the best - I doubt Ottawa is that team.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Karlsson isn't just a generational defenceman to Ottawa, he is a living icon who holds more value than his on ice performances.

Having said that, he deserves to play on a contending team who flashes cash to be the best of the best - I doubt Ottawa is that team.

A living icon? He's a pro athlete, and seems to be a decent guy, lets not let things get out of hand here.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Great interview today. Sound like his closets are pretty stable and his luggage are tucked away in the basement! :laugh:

Lot of pressure heaped on the team today by his interview today. Will be hard, nigh impossible, not to sign him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great interview today. Sound like his closets are pretty stable and his luggage are tucked away in the basement! :laugh:

Lot of pressure heaped on the team today by his interview today. Will be hard, nigh impossible, not to sign him.
Hope you're right.

Reactions: coladin

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

And it’s not like today’s comments are anything new, he’s been saying the same thing for months now. Im a little confused because everything in the media we have been told suggests Karlsson wants out and that there is no way to repair relationships.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Getting Dahlin or Svech will be an enormous step to achieving that.

IMO Duchene has proved he can be a number 1 C. Stone is arguably a top 5 RW and Svech will give us another elite winger option who can carry his own line too.

All we would need is for Brown to pan out and we'd be golden; heck, even Batherson.

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Getting Dahlin or Svech will be an enormous step to achieving that.

IMO Duchene has proved he can be a number 1 C. Stone is arguably a top 5 RW and Svech will give us another elite winger option who can carry his own line too.

All we would need is for Brown to pan out and we'd be golden; heck, even Batherson.
If we sit tight and don't make any dumb trades we should be ok.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure at one point during the interview Karlsson was being asked how much money he wanted or something to that effect and he refused to put a number and was saying he'll be happy with what it ends up being with whichever team it ends up bring with , and eventually he said that he wants a 7-8 year deal. EK mentioned that in today's NHL even with the salary cap you can't have just one player making so much % of the whole cap. It's possible we lock him up at 9.5M-10M imo, if he truly wants to stay as much as he is saying in all of his interviews since the deadline... That would be sweeet. Toews makes 10.5M lol.

If all of your core players are signed to team friendly deals, you're going places. Especially if your owner is rich, rip that ain't the case for us. But it's a good start for sure and it's pretty sick hearing EK and Duchene give a shoutout to our best prospects and young players in Belleville and in junior.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
So where would you, as the Ottawa Senators, top out what you would accept to extend Erik?

My number - 10.375 cap hit, 8 year, ($83M) lockout protected, full NMC

13, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7

That seems fair for both sides to me. I think anything more than that and this team simply can't surround him with the pieces to be competitive, and it's best to move on.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We offer 10x8 EK asks for 12x8 we settle somewhere in the middle,if management is serious about resigning EK it really shouldnt be that hard

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So where would you, as the Ottawa Senators, top out what you would accept to extend Erik?

My number - 10.375 cap hit, 8 year, ($83M) lockout protected, full NMC

13, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7

That seems fair for both sides to me. I think anything more than that and this team simply can't surround him with the pieces to be competitive, and it's best to move on.

Melnyk or Melnyk's son Tnuoc, please fire Huggy Bear Dorion and sign this guy up for GM!

And return that liver please.

Last edited:
Reactions: pzeeman

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Melnyk or Melnyk's son Tnuoc, please fire Huggy Bear Dorion and sign this guy up for GM!

And return that liver please.
Thanks for the endorsement, but you probably wouldn't want me. It's only three Dorion extensions (14, 1, 41) that I have a real problem with. I'm fine with everything else in context.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the endorsement, but you probably wouldn't want me. It's only three Dorion extensions (14, 1, 41) that I have a real problem with. I'm fine with everything else in context.

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed was that the extensions you hate create a palindrome?

Reactions: DrEasy and pzeeman

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure at one point during the interview Karlsson was being asked how much money he wanted or something to that effect and he refused to put a number and was saying he'll be happy with what it ends up being with whichever team it ends up bring with , and eventually he said that he wants a 7-8 year deal. EK mentioned that in today's NHL even with the salary cap you can't have just one player making so much % of the whole cap. It's possible we lock him up at 9.5M-10M imo, if he truly wants to stay as much as he is saying in all of his interviews since the deadline... That would be sweeet. Toews makes 10.5M lol.

If all of your core players are signed to team friendly deals, you're going places.
Especially if your owner is rich, rip that ain't the case for us. But it's a good start for sure and it's pretty sick hearing EK and Duchene give a shoutout to our best prospects and young players in Belleville and in junior.

Where is the incentive for players to do this when the team doesn't spend to the cap? You need both team-friendly deals, and a solid cap roster to be a contender.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
images

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If all of your core players are signed to team friendly deals, you're going places. Especially if your owner is rich, rip that ain't the case for us. But it's a good start for sure and it's pretty sick hearing EK and Duchene give a shoutout to our best prospects and young players in Belleville and in junior.

The interview is linked above in this thread, I think your interpretation of what he said is a bit off.

The way it sounded to me was that he isn't worried about the money, because he knows he'll get what he's worth, and it's up to the Sens or any other team to decide how he fits in at that amount under the cap.

So, unless he's bluffing, it sounded like more of the same that he wants a market value contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad