Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Aron Kiviharju would be a huge get, and some here are complaining or commenting 'pass'. Ya, this board is a joke lmao. Kiviharju is expected to be a first round NHL pick and would probably be here for two years. He would instantly be one of the best d man on the team and one of the better D man in the entire league. Some are just on here to criticize everything the team does, even if it's good.
I’m pretty sure you can keep 3 or 4 players rights but only have 2 signed to the roster at a time.

If you guys go with 2 imports in this draft (don’t know much about eichler but only had 12 points so clearly not amazing) and keep the rights of kiviharju and then let’s say some point next season in like November he wants to come over- well you can trade one of your imports you get this draft and swap them out for kiviharju.

Friendly reminder there was talk for a few years about this guy going first overall. Now in the last year his draft stock has fell but you can’t pass up a guy like that. At the very minimum at this level he will be a top 5-10 d man in the league.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I’m pretty sure you can keep 3 or 4 players rights but only have 2 signed to the roster at a time.

If you guys go with 2 imports in this draft (don’t know much about eichler but only had 12 points so clearly not amazing) and keep the rights of kiviharju and then let’s say some point next season in like November he wants to come over- well you can trade one of your imports you get this draft and swap them out for kiviharju.

Friendly reminder there was talk for a few years about this guy going first overall. Now in the last year his draft stock has fell but you can’t pass up a guy like that. At the very minimum at this level he will be a top 5-10 d man in the league.
I have been talking about drafting 2 imports this draft with the Russians and Belarusians added and 3 years with none being able to be taken until this year, the import draft should be deep. Eichler is an average ohl player at best (penalty prone )and import picks are supposed to be elite players for the most part. I'd move or move on from Eichler, Zhugin and Cristoforo (if not moved to a forward) and bring in Kivi (if available and winning) and another big solid D 2nd round import draft. Order 3 & at worst 63 2nd round if no teams pass on their 1st round pick. D needs gutting.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I have been talking about drafting 2 imports this draft with the Russians and Belarusians added and 3 years with none being able to be taken until this year, the import draft should be deep. Eichler is an average ohl player at best (penalty prone )and import picks are supposed to be elite players for the most part. I'd move or move on from Eichler, Zhugin and Cristoforo (if not moved to a forward) and bring in Kivi (if available and winning) and another big solid D 2nd round import draft. Order 3 & at worst 63 2nd round if no teams pass on their 1st round pick. D needs gutting.
Zhugin will be an OA and he definitely won’t be brought back, I agree about eichler but christoforo is only an 06. And he’s has 2 really productive seasons. As d men get older they get better defending usually.

Christoforo is a big part of your future along with greentree, belchetz and Davis and the next 2 years should be pretty fun to watch for you guys. Doesn’t make sense trading christoforo at all. I’m sure he and whatever team drafts him will work on the defensive side of the puck a lot in the off season.

spits

Jul 24, 2013

If they draft Kiviharju at 3rd overall the assumption would be he is definitely coming this year, not next year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If they draft Kiviharju at 3rd overall the assumption would be he is definitely coming this year, not next year.
Did I not read somewhere he is injured and won't be ready to play until January? If this is true is it the right move to wait? Certainly is high end talent so if he is good to go by September it would be a great pick.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Did I not read somewhere he is injured and won't be ready to play until January? If this is true is it the right move to wait? Certainly is high end talent so if he is good to go by September it would be a great pick.
Oh I didn't know he was out that long due to injury.

EDIT: quick Google search shows he was injured and out 4 months, but is healthy now.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Oh I didn't know he was out that long due to injury.

EDIT: quick Google search shows he was injured and out 4 months, but is healthy now.
Well that's good news if they're interested in him.

When I saw hurt until January it was probably an article from 2023. Gotta watch those expiry dates.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Zhugin will be an OA and he definitely won’t be brought back, I agree about eichler but christoforo is only an 06. And he’s has 2 really productive seasons. As d men get older they get better defending usually.

Christoforo is a big part of your future along with greentree, belchetz and Davis and the next 2 years should be pretty fun to watch for you guys. Doesn’t make sense trading christoforo at all. I’m sure he and whatever team drafts him will work on the defensive side of the puck a lot in the off season.
Imo. It is too late to try and teach a defenseman to play with the grit necessary to defend. You either have it from the start or you don't. His skills offensively are good but lacks a hard shot from the point . That's why I suggested moving his offensive ability to a forward. Let the skills he has excel.

Glad Belchetz is signed. Hopefully others will follow as well. Great to have him on the fold.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I'll say this... very early but Belchetz is a monster, Brocklehurst can fly, and Garden looks impressive.
Agree, but have to keep in mind they are playing against kids their own age. Big step up to play against kids 3 and 4 years older.

Also thought Newlove looked good in goal.

Reactions: ohloutsider

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
I was there for Bowler's Q&A as well as the practices, and the first half of the scrimmage.

Some notes on what Bowler said:

- As somebody already mentioned, Spits will be making one selection at the import draft. Eichler will be back.

- Belchetz was signed to his contract, and his jersey number was 61. Bowler was asked about the overager situation and he said Abraham and Morneau were on the team. The other spot will either be filled through trade or be fought for in camp. Seems to me that he was telling us something without actually saying it.

- He was asked about Froggett and Altiman's chances of making the team. The response was essentially that the hope is for one of them to make it, but camp will be the ultimate decider.

- He offered a bit of clarification on the amount of 16 year olds allowed to be on the roster. It's four, and your first two picks have to be included in those four. The other two he described as "wild cards".

Those were my biggest takeaways. He also stated that the new coaching staff would have to put emphasis on keeping the puck out of the net in response to a question.

In terms of the practices/3v3 scrimmages, there really isn't too much I could say that we didn't already know. Belchetz put up 2 goals in the first half of the scrimmage. He really is as big as advertised.

Brocklehurst, Garden, Hicks, and Newlove (u18 #1 pick) were the other standouts for me. I had to leave early, but overall, a fun event.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I was there for Bowler's Q&A as well as the practices, and the first half of the scrimmage.

- As somebody already mentioned, Spits will be making one selection at the import draft. Eichler will be back.

- Belchetz was signed to his contract, and his jersey number was 61. Bowler was asked about the overager situation and he said Abraham and Morneau were on the team. The other spot will either be filled through trade or be fought for in camp. Seems to me that he was telling us something without actually saying it.

- He was asked about Froggett and Altiman's chances of making the team. The response was essentially that the hope is for one of them to make it, but camp will be the ultimate decider.

- He offered a bit of clarification on the amount of 16 year olds allowed to be on the roster. It's four, and your first two picks have to be included in those four. The other two he described as "wild cards".

I echo all of this. I'll add that Bowler mentioned looking for a coaching staff. He didn't say whether or not that would include Torres/Newbury but he said he understood last season's situation wasn't fair to them.

Zhugin has gone back home and they wished him the best.

As for the on-ice stuff - light-hearted drills and such to start. The scrimmages were all 3-on-3 plus two shootouts. Like I said, Belchetz looked as-advertised, as did Brocklehurst and Garden. Im not putting any stock into this stuff but some of the razzle-dazzle was impressive.

Oh, forgot to add - Bowler was asked about D Sam Wathier, who's US-bound. He said Wathier is going the US route right now and their hope is that, in two years, an NHL team sends him to Windsor instead. I wouldn't bet on this one but you never know.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I echo all of this. I'll add that Bowler mentioned looking for a coaching staff. He didn't say whether or not that would include Torres/Newbury but he said he understood last season's situation wasn't fair to them.

Zhugin has gone back home and they wished him the best.

As for the on-ice stuff - light-hearted drills and such to start. The scrimmages were all 3-on-3 plus two shootouts. Like I said, Belchetz looked as-advertised, as did Brocklehurst and Garden. Im not putting any stock into this stuff but some of the razzle-dazzle was impressive.

Oh, forgot to add - Bowler was asked about D Sam Wathier, who's US-bound. He said Wathier is going the US route right now and their hope is that, in two years, an NHL team sends him to Windsor instead. I wouldn't bet on this one but you never know.
Bowler had to answer the softball questions all in that 10 minutes time period allowed...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Those were my biggest takeaways. He also stated that the new coaching staff would have to put emphasis on keeping the puck out of the net in response to a question.

In terms of the practices/3v3 scrimmages, there really isn't too much I could say that we didn't already know. Belchetz put up 2 goals in the first half of the scrimmage. He really is as big as advertised.

Brocklehurst, Garden, Hicks, and Newlove (u18 #1 pick) were the other standouts for me. I had to leave early, but overall, a fun event.
That comment in regards to goaltending Froggett/Altiman is quite ominous to say the least.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I meant next year as in next hockey season since this one isn’t over but I can understand the confusion.

Me personally I wouldn’t take a guy 3rd overall unless they’re coming. I’d take kiviharju with the second pick you guys have

Besides if other teams know he will come I guarantee he will be first or second- won’t even be there at 3.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I know there are diehard defenders of our 06 1st round bust but at the end of the day the NHL scouts see the same thing. 194th NHL skater means unlikely to be drafted. Not blaming all of this on the player. The Spits under Bowler has not developed D for the next level. Quickly thinking it was last Chatfield making the show. You can talk we need to improve goals against as does Bowler but high rated Goalies and D have struggled with the Spits. Time to hire a coaching staff that will improve both of these areas moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I know there are diehard defenders of our 06 1st round bust but at the end of the day the NHL scouts see the same thing. 194th NHL skater means unlikely to be drafted. Not blaming all of this on the player. The Spits under Bowler has not developed D for the next level. Quickly thinking it was last Chatfield making the show. You can talk we need to improve goals against as does Bowler but high rated Goalies and D have struggled with the Spits. Time to hire a coaching staff that will improve both of these areas moving forward.
Rated 32 by Sam Cosentino who actually watches junior.

90 by consolidated ranking

51 by draft prospects hockey.

He will be drafted lol. 31pts in 67 games is pretty respectable. Quinton burns on kingston has similar numbers his draft year and got picked 3rd round

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

He will be drafted lol. 31pts in 67 games is pretty respectable. Quinton burns on kingston has similar numbers his draft year and got picked 3rd round
He had 38 points this past season 7G,31A in 67 games,did miss all the exhibition season,had 3 less points than last year,though Windsor scored 75 less goals this past season then the previous one,interesting he had 6 goals his 1st year but none on the PP,7 this past year but 4 on the PP.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

What do the NHL scouts watch???? Cosentino ranked him 32 was in Dec 2023. Cristoforo was -43 thank God for his points or it would have been uglier. 3rd worst plus/minus in the entire league for defenseman with Toms keeping him in 3rd worst. Quinton burns 6-1" was -13. Not similar stats at all. Not even comparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: rve24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad