Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sometimes I hope he leaves/gets traded so we can finally put the insecure-lover thing to rest.

I have no idea how some of you have relationships.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I realize that Karlsson has a lot going on .. and his family is a priority and I feel for him... He currently has 62 pts tied with Stone. If Stone doesn't play and collect a point... Karlsson would be the first defenseman to lead his team in scoring for 5 consecutive years

Reactions: 18Hossa

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
I didn't want to start off the stampede of Karlsson to my team threads on the main boards so Bruins fan coming in piece.

Carlo, Lauzon, JFK, Heinen for Karlsson

That sound about right?
Considering you don't know how to spell "peace", I'm not sure how sincere your post is.
And NO to your offer.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Eugene would just sack him. My conspiracy theory is that the 3 year extension was given under the agreement that Dorion trades EK.

If Dorion goes ahead and trades EK, it had better be the biggest most slam dunkiest return ever because he's got to know that botching on a deal of this magnitude will mean that once he gets fired from his GM job with the Sens, he will never be a GM again. I mean, no pressure, Pierre. But also, you can avoid this whole mess and just convince your owner to sign the player...just saying...

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Eugene would just sack him. My conspiracy theory is that the 3 year extension was given under the agreement that Dorion trades EK.
Dorion would be out of a job in hockey for about 5 minutes. IF he made that deal with Melnyk, then he deserves the backlash he is going to face from fans.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Maybe we should wait until the Titanic hits the iceberg before warning the captain.

I feel like you warning the captain about an iceberg in the ship's path would likely lead to him avoiding it. I'm really not sure how the two situations compare.

EK being traded is not a foregone conclusion, so why treat it as such? It would appear to be a possibility for certain, but waiting to see the outcome before reacting seems prudent.

I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to start loading up the life boats and cast off into the middle of the North Atlantic until AFTER something happens to the ship no?

Reactions: coladin

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I feel like you warning the captain about an iceberg in the ship's path would likely lead to him avoiding it. I'm really not sure how the two situations compare.

EK being traded is not a foregone conclusion, so why treat it as such? It would appear to be a possibility for certain, but waiting to see the outcome before reacting seems prudent.

I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to start loading up the life boats and cast off into the middle of the North Atlantic until AFTER something happens to the ship no?
Fair, but in the same way that my analogy was a bit of a false equivalency, I think yours is too. I don't see anyone casting off now – I see people saying "Hey, if we hit this iceberg I'm going to be casting out." A far more reasonable approach than the latter, which would be equivalent to "We're talking about trading Karlsson so I'm not a fan anymore. Screw this."

Reactions: stempniaksen

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fair, but in the same way that my analogy was a bit of a false equivalency, I think yours is too. I don't see anyone casting off now – I see people saying "Hey, if we hit this iceberg I'm going to be casting out." A far more reasonable approach than the latter, which would be equivalent to "We're talking about trading Karlsson so I'm not a fan anymore. Screw this."

I totally get it, perhaps we can agree that the middle ground approach could be to load up the life boats but trail them behind the ship on lines until we reach warmer waters. Some can expect the worst, some can choose not to, but either way we're ready just in case.

:)

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Or maybe the fan reaction to the possibility of Karlsson being traded gives Sens management sober second thought on going through with the deal.

There might even be some posters who are using this angle...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
So we know Mark Stone isn't coming back this season.

Assuming Duchene doesn't catch him in the next couple of games, with Karlsson being tied for the team lead in points, does that mean he's tied the D man record for 4 straight seasons leading his team in points?

With the usual caveats being Stone would clearly have led the team but didn't due to injury, and Duchene amassed some of his points elsewhere. Doesn't matter, at the end of the year what's the total point count right?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Assuming Duchene doesn't catch him in the next couple of games, with Karlsson being tied for the team lead in points, does that mean he's tied the D man record for 4 straight seasons leading his team in points?

With the usual caveats being Stone would clearly have led the team but didn't due to injury, and Duchene amassed some of his points elsewhere. Doesn't matter, at the end of the year what's the total point count right?

5 straight seasons if he does.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

2013-14
2014-15
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18

On;y D to do it 5 years in a row... I believe

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was just watching all of EK's points from 14-15 and all his points from the playoffs last year, as well as a fabulous game he played vs Carolina in 12-13.

If Juggernaut Karlsson returns next season with us or another team, the league will be a better place for it.

Reactions: thinkwild

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Wouldn't the best approach be avoiding 'iceberg alley' altogether?

Dorion screwed up in the fall when he talked in an ambiguous manner. All he needed to say, was "we're signing Erik on July 1. He is the heart of our franchise"....even if it's a bold-faced lie. Instead, he got on the PA and talked about all the icebergs out there, and then told passengers he has no idea how to steer a ship. It's no wonder the passengers are panicking.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
As a follow-up, since the turn of the calendar, in 39 games Karl has 37 points and was a -5 only (considering they went 15-22-2 in those games that's not bad). If there was any doubt a few months ago that EK would eventually find his best again, it's been washed out especially in the past few weeks when his skating has looked much much better.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Rethinking......
With everything that's happened to him while he's been here from scumb_g cooke to tendon to alfie and friends and melnyk stupidity and now stillbirth,
it could be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else like Vegas.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Dorion is anything he’s a loyal Senators soldier, part of that means serving the owner over the interests of hockey ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad