Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread - He Gets All the Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Read my previous post. Lots of guys have won the Norris without leading the League in defenseman scoring. One of the criticisms of the Norris in recent times is that it does go to the leading point producer far too often.

To your second point are you suggesting that Erik Karlsson is top three in the league in defensive ability? If not, why should Doughty have to be top three in scoring?

I know guys like to cheer for their own players but it's not as if Doughty is a stiff. He was, far and away, the best defenseman for Canada in our last two gold medal winning Olympics. I don't begrudge him his Norris.

Aren't the Norris winners usually top 5 in scoring though? That was more my question.

I personally only get annoyed with Doughty winning because of the reasons like "he's due", "he is a beast in the playoffs", "he got snubbed last year". Those are NOT reasons to vote for the guy. I think he deserved it but I also think the media pumped his tires hugely. And would have regardless of how he played. I feel that this was decided long before it should have been.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tell it to Mike Green. 76 points in 75 games didn't win it. Niether did 73 points in 68 games.

I just don't understand how you guys see a conspiracy taking place with the very writers who have twice honoured Erik Karlsson with Norris trophies.

Green missed many games, was playing on a team with prime OV, Semin, and Backstrom all clicking, and lost to Keith who had 6 less points, and Chara who had a monster season (though I think Green maybe should have taken Chara's)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not surprised. The media were openly pushing for Doughty since December. I can't remember another player out there besides Gretzky the media would openly say partway through the season who would win an award.

Best part is Erik didn't even want the award this year and pretty much quietly campaigned against getting it. You can here it in his interviews throughout the year talking about being so unsatisfied about his performance and saying he had much more to give. Meanwhile, Doughty looks like a toddler that whined his way to a new toy.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I just don't understand how you guys see a conspiracy taking place with the very writers who have twice honoured Erik Karlsson with Norris trophies.
because the reasons that were given by those people. Past accomplishment and a lack of the award came up often this year.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Aren't the Norris winners usually top 5 in scoring though? That was more my question.

I personally only get annoyed with Doughty winning because of the reasons like "he's due", "he is a beast in the playoffs", "he got snubbed last year". Those are NOT reasons to vote for the guy. I think he deserved it but I also think the media pumped his tires hugely. And would have regardless of how he played. I feel that this was decided long before it should have been.

Maybe I'm being simple but I honestly believe that the writers who voted for Doughty did so because they genuinely believed that his season merited it. This isn't to say they don't veer into the realm of sentimentality on occasion. I felt the last Lidstrom Norris, for example, was a retirement gift from the writers. Weber was robbed but the next year they gave the award to Karlsson instead of giving Weber a make up Norris in a season where they easily could have justified it.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Karlsson's season land's him in the record books for all time play in the league and is the best overall season by an individual defenseman in the modern era of the NHL. Doughty's doesn't/isn't.

Karlsson doesn't play on a team with an assortment of other All Star calibre players to cover up his failings. Doughty does.

Robbed.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think he got "robbed", Doughty was definitely very deserving of the award. It does still bother me though that the media ran with the "he's due" narrative since basically November. Even in February when Karlsson was still on pace for 90+ points (I could be a bit off on that, but the point still stands) it didn't feel like he was gonna win.

It's all good. Karlsson will win another, probably a few. Same with Doughty. Who even really cares?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
watching Doughty and Burns this playoffs, I was shocked how many slap shots or big shots they got to attempt from the left hand side compared to Karlsson who is very rarely passed a puck that he can just drive to the net.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why not? Higher points per game than Karlsson and his team made the playoffs. Outside of Washington not many people felt that Green was robbed either.

Scoring era's, scoring on team, scoring position on team, scoring position in league, etc.

08-09
Oveckin - 110
Backstrom - 89
Semin - 79
Green - 73

09-10
Ovechkin - 109
Backstrom - 101
Semin - 84
Green - 76

Greens finish in league scoring:
08-09 - 29th
09-10 - 21st

Green finished 4th on his team
Karlsson finished 5th in the league

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Should have made the playoffs EK... Ya It's not fair but thems the breaks.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
69016114.jpg

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Doughty is pretty good so whatever. IMO it's close. Didn't look at the vote or anything. Different players.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Tell it to Mike Green. 76 points in 75 games didn't win it. Niether did 73 points in 68 games.

If Karlsson had the support Green had in those years, Karlsson would have win the Art Ross... :laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

In 1983 Rod Langway scored 32 points while Paul Coffey scored 96. Langway won the Norris.

In 1984 Rod Langway scored 33 points compared to 126 for Coffey. Langway won the Norris.

If Karlsson got robbed it pales in comparison to some previous Norris votes.

Rod was an excellent defensive Defenseman! Paul was an excellent offensive Defenseman. IMO, Coffee was robbed of the Norris. Twice!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The problem is that this season is pretty historic. If you don't give it to him this year, it's like saying offensive defencemen can never win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad