One of the toughest games I have ever worked

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All afternoon NESN, the Jacobs Family, the NHL, and even ABC were trying to broker an arrangement to allow NESN to carry a then-possible Game 7 in the Boston market only but they needed Hearst Broadcasting which operates 2 ABC affiliates in the Boston market (WCVB and WMUR) to agree.

Hearst ( which also owns 20% of ESPN ) declined which under the contract with the NHL they had every right to do. Local ad revenue is the reason as between WCVB and WMUR roughly $750K just fell into their laps. In the end the suits always win.

I can tell you that Sean McDonough called Jack saying he was heartsick over this.

This is not the NESN signoff anybody wanted.

I am going to drive back by the slightly longer route through the 1000 Islands instead of through Buffalo.

I have to decide on that drive that if the B's lose Game 7 I may well call it quits.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
All afternoon NESN, the Jacobs Family, the NHL, and even ABC were trying to broker an arrangement to allow NESN to carry a then-possible Game 7 in the Boston market only but they needed Hearst Broadcasting which operates 2 ABC affiliates in the Boston market (WCVB and WMUR) to agree.

Hearst ( which also owns 20% of ESPN ) declined which under the contract with the NHL they had every right to do. Local ad revenue is the reason as between WCVB and WMUR roughly $750K just fell into their laps. In the end the suits always win.

I can tell you that Sean McDonough called Jack saying he was heartsick over this.

This is not the NESN signoff anybody wanted.

I am going to drive back by the slightly longer route through the 1000 Islands instead of through Buffalo.

I have to decide on that drive that if the B's lose Game 7 I may well call it quits.

all the best to Jack. That was tough to watch.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I didn’t watch a second of NESN in Round 1, but am genuinely curious.

Don’t the RSNs have the rights to broadcast Round 1? How can there be an exception?

Just curious.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Only ABC can bump a RSN in Round 1
Appreciate the response!

Here I was worried that game one of the second round might conflict with the stupid dance I have to chaperone tonight, and that a round two game might conflict with the wedding I have to attend next Saturday.

Turns out I may not have to worry about either. Silver lining?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The Leafs did not want their season to end and the Bruins do not have a killer instinct.

I wish I could believe the bolded. They didn’t exactly play with some new level of urgency these last couple games.

This has been same old leafs vs a bruins team that seemed to change their mind about wanting to play in the second round after game 4.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Can Jack Edwards do play by play on Instagram live Saturday night? I will happily watch the game on mute, with my laptop open to his broadcast. I assume legally he cannot, but damn I just want him to get a better goodbye. He was disrespected beyond belief.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've never been Jack's biggest fan but the way the Bruins have played the past two games for his final broadcasts makes me sick to my stomach. I know it's sports but I legitimately feel bad for the guy having his career end this way.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I've never been Jack's biggest fan but the way the Bruins have played the past two games for his final broadcasts makes me sick to my stomach. I know it's sports but I legitimately feel bad for the guy having his career end this way.
That’s my take at the end of this as well. The team played like shit, they blew it, lost, cool. It’s nothing new so it doesn’t bother me at this point.

I’m disgusted by how it’s forced Jack to sign off on a wonderful career. He’s gotta be crushed

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
No matter your opinion on Jack, good or bad, I don't think anyone can deny that he put his whole heart into what he did.

He deserved better than this.

(And Bruins, you could have given it to him if you had won one of the last two games, you turkeys. You're not off the hook either!)

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Can Jack Edwards do play by play on Instagram live Saturday night? I will happily watch the game on mute, with my laptop open to his broadcast. I assume legally he cannot, but damn I just want him to get a better goodbye. He was disrespected beyond belief.

An even more unhinged Jack Edwards live stream, where Jack is free from the obligation to keep things broadcast friendly, would be an absolute gold mine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad