Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread - He Gets All the Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wonder how long before Stone is top 5. Doesn't get enough recognition.

Probably won't win it though being that for the last 12 years, the award has gone to a center.

In fact, the top 3 for this award are all centers (Kopitar, Bergeron and Kesler)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not sure why anyone fooled themselves into thinking Karlsson would win after the way the media had pushed the "make a wish" Doughty 4 Norris campaign.

It is an absolute joke that a defender can not be given the Norris after having a legendary season with production from a defenseman that hasn't been matched in how long was it? 30 years? But it is what it is.

HoffStoneKarl*

Crazy I thought they weren't going to announce the awards until the actual award ceremony. Is this normal?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Lol at the distance of votes between Karlsson and Burns. Karlsson has 1020 and Burns has 619.

Ya NHL, Burns is totally better than Karlsson. :laugh:

Careful, though, that same logic would have you believing Doughty is significantly better than Karlsson.

Crazy I thought they weren't going to announce the awards until the actual award ceremony. Is this normal?

Isn't the awards ceremony on now??

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
How much extra does Loui get paid this summer if he wins here?

Edit: Oh wait, Lady Byng, nothing, of course.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Just tuned in now... what an odd setup. So the stage where they present the awards is behind where the seats face???

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, it really should have been:

1. Karlsson
2. Burns
3. Doughty

I did some mock math for this award a little while back and even accounting for a massive campaign of first place votes for Doughty I still had some calculations that showed Karlsson winning as long as he was the second place vote on the majority of ballots. Just looking quickly at the ballots, 19 voters didn't even have Karlsson in the top 3 and 1 voter didn't even have him on their ballot at all. I honestly don't think that's acceptable at all. A guy who had a historical offensive season was 4th and 5th on more voter ballots than Doughty was 3rd, 4th and 5th. That. Is. Absurd.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Karlsson got robbed

In 1983 Rod Langway scored 32 points while Paul Coffey scored 96. Langway won the Norris.

In 1984 Rod Langway scored 33 points compared to 126 for Coffey. Langway won the Norris.

If Karlsson got robbed it pales in comparison to some previous Norris votes.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Karlsson was robbed. Even if Doughty is the better defenseman (he isn't) he certainly did not have a better season.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Does Doughty have one of the worst offensive seasons for a Norris winner? In where he sits in points for all D men.

I mean if doughty is all that and S bag of chips at all aspects of hockey. Shouldn't be at least be top 3 in points?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For absolutely any other defenceman in this league, 82 points in a season would 100% guarantee a win.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Does Doughty have one of the worst offensive seasons for a Norris winner? In where he sits in points for all D men.

I mean if doughty is all that and S bag of chips at all aspects of hockey. Shouldn't be at least be top 3 in points?

Read my previous post. Lots of guys have won the Norris without leading the League in defenseman scoring. One of the criticisms of the Norris in recent times is that it does go to the leading point producer far too often.

To your second point are you suggesting that Erik Karlsson is top three in the league in defensive ability? If not, why should Doughty have to be top three in scoring?

I know guys like to cheer for their own players but it's not as if Doughty is a stiff. He was, far and away, the best defenseman for Canada in our last two gold medal winning Olympics. I don't begrudge him his Norris.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
This was just so the media could get it off their shoulders, shut the criticism and let the world go against Karlsson.

latest

Now Karlsson just has to make sure to win it again. DD needs to win it again to be in EK's league.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
To your second point are you suggesting that Erik Karlsson is top three in the league in defensive ability? If not, why should Doughty have to be top three in scoring?

I know guys like to cheer for their own players but it's not as if Doughty is a stiff. He was, far and away, the best defenseman for Canada in our last two gold medal winning Olympics. I don't begrudge him his Norris.
because objective measure of defensive ability is hard to find. Karlsson excels in many areas on defense, like takeaways and puck recovery and passing in the D zone. You do have to be very productive to be an all-round dman.

i don't mind doughty winning, but it's funny the reasons some media people gave for doughty were not for this season, a bit like the above when the olympics is brought up

Last edited:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
For absolutely any other defenceman in this league, 82 points in a season would 100% guarantee a win.

Tell it to Mike Green. 76 points in 75 games didn't win it. Niether did 73 points in 68 games.

I just don't understand how you guys see a conspiracy taking place with the very writers who have twice honoured Erik Karlsson with Norris trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad