Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Given the scenario, Leafs would offer a package of Rielly, a 1st, JVR or Kapanen + throw ins.

I know on HF that barely gets you in on the conversation for Tanev but that's as much as Lou offers IMO.

Mariner or Nylander would have to be part of it.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Oliver Ekman Larsson, Lawson Crouse, 1st

or

Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dylan Strome, 2nd

PK Subban, Filip Forseberg
for
Erik Karlsson, C Prospect, 2nd

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I probably pull the trigger on Kane+ for EK.

The + wouldn't be much, maybe a little something to make up for the age difference. We have plenty of those kinds of pieces despite what people say.

EK is perfect for Chicago's system, and it would be a seamless transition. I've seen enough of Panarin now to believe in his ability to drive offense for a line, though it won't be at the same elite level as Kane.

While they are different players, I don't think it will be hard for Kaner to pack the seats in Ottawa every bit as much as Karlsson did. You still have a name to put on the marquee unlike most of these deals. Would Melnyk pay Kane's salary? Maybe when he realizes that EK won't sign for any less than league max in Ottawa.

Make it happen.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

The + wouldn't be much, maybe a little something to make up for the age difference. We have plenty of those kinds of pieces despite what people say.

EK is perfect for Chicago's system, and it would be a seamless transition. I've seen enough of Panarin now to believe in his ability to drive offense for a line, though it won't be at the same elite level as Kane.

While they are different players, I don't think it will be hard for Kaner to pack the seats in Ottawa every bit as much as Karlsson did. You still have a name to put on the marquee unlike most of these deals. Would Melnyk pay Kane's salary? Maybe when he realizes that EK won't sign for any less than league max in Ottawa.

Make it happen.

We would sooner just give EK the money we would end up giving Kane. We have a serviceable first line RW in Stone, take EK out of the defense and it is bottom-5 in the league.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
William Nylander or Mitch Marner

+

1st 2017

+

1st 2018

+

Dermott

and if needed

+

Kapanen.

Huge package would essentially be all in, and rebuild Ottawa instantly.

Leafs chance a cup with Matthews and the other guy left. Maybe bring in Tavares in UFA with the money saved on Nylander/Marner.
Are you insane?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
RainierBeat, the one who posted those "ridiculous" overpayments.

It's literally just as ridiculous to ask Edmonton to trade McDavid, Washington to trade Ovechkin, Los Angeles to trade Doughty and so on. When teams are losing such a vital piece as Karlsson, or literally any cornerstone player, their cores break up big time, or, in some instances like this, their game plans are no longer viable. Is it really that far-fetched to ask for three first line skaters and the cream of your prospect pool for these players? Absolutely not.

Yes. Yes it is far-fetched because there is no alternate reality where the other team would give that up.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
IF Karlsson were to be moved (which he won't be..) that Edmonton deal would be one I would be able to live with. The others are meh.

To trade him in the division itd take a HUGE overpayment..

Leafs switch Marner to Matthews.

Boston doesnt have the pieces.

Buffalo needs to involve Eichel.

Montreal doesnt have the pieces.

I dont see any way on the planet the Oilers give up that many quality pieces for a guy that is 2 years from UFA and will command 10Mill plus even if you can sign him. The only way the Oil would do it is if they could move some overpriced player or players the other way to even out the cap. And forget 2 of those pieces. Think Drai and Nurse. Or Drai and Pulu. Or..... But no chance of that deal as it is.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Make it happen.

Lol I'm sure you would.

Karlsson produces almost as much as Kane (probably around 10-15 points difference a season on average). He's younger and is paid significantly less. He also plays arguably the most important position in hockey as #1 RD while Kane plays the least important. The plus would have to be way bigger than you're implying.

Kane+ for Karlsson makes exactly zero sense for Ottawa. We already have a great 1RW in Stone (obviously not on the level of Kane, but he's still great). We'd be getting older, more expensive and downgrading a position of need to shore up a position we're already fine at.

Not to mention, if Karlsson leaves in all likelihood we would be looking to rebuild/retool. In that case a guy who's gonna be 29 at the beginning of next season making 10.5 a year is literally the last thing that fits our needs, no matter how good he is.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
LOL.

Came here to say "I wouldn't do it, but Seguin straight up, MAYBE a tiny add from Dallas seems around fair value." And then I see this....

There is legit not a single GM in the entire NHL that would be stupid enough to trade Karlsson for Seguin.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Lol I'm sure you would.

Karlsson produces almost as much as Kane (probably around 10-15 points difference a season on average). He's younger and is paid significantly less. He also plays arguably the most important position in hockey as #1 RD while Kane plays the least important. The plus would have to be way bigger than you're implying.

Kane+ for Karlsson makes exactly zero sense for Ottawa. We already have a great 1RW in Stone (obviously not on the level of Kane, but he's still great). We'd be getting older, more expensive and downgrading a position of need to shore up a position we're already fine at.

Not to mention, if Karlsson leaves in all likelihood we would be looking to rebuild/retool. In that case a guy who's gonna be 29 at the beginning of next season making 10.5 a year is literally the last thing that fits our needs, no matter how good he is.

LW is the least important position as most players are left handed and it's easier for them to adjust to left side instead of right.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
If he wasn't injury prone yes he would be, currently however it's risky. If he wasn't injury prone I'd do Stamkos and Stralman for Karlsson.

Still no..

If we trade Karlsson (Which we won't.. Melnyk will sell the team before he authorises a Karlsson trade.), It will be for young top assets

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
William Nylander or Mitch Marner

+

1st 2017

+

1st 2018

+

Dermott

and if needed

+

Kapanen.

Huge package would essentially be all in, and rebuild Ottawa instantly.

Leafs chance a cup with Matthews and the other guy left. Maybe bring in Tavares in UFA with the money saved on Nylander/Marner.

Matthews + for Karlsson? LOL

Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews for the entire Sens organization.
Do you realize your proposal was much more lopsided in the Sens favor than Matthews+? (depending on what the plus is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad