Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Simple premise.

Melnyk and Karlsson don't see eye to eye with regards to the upcoming Olympics. With the NHL not attending, Melnyk can choose to block Karlsson from participating, and likely captaining Team Sweden.

Karlsson has two more years left on his deal with a 6.5 million cap hit, and a modified NTC kicks in on July 1st.

Say they don't reach an understanding, and Ottawa decides it's now or never in terms of maximizing a return for their asset.. what are the offers?

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
There's literally no other piece in the NHL worth a number 1D that puts up 70+ points a season that eats 30 minutes a night and is the best offensive contributor from the blue line other than McDavid. You could also make an argument for Matthews, but other than that, there's nothing really to offer. The Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews and the Oilers wouldn't trade McDavid. That would gut both of their C depth.

EDIT: If we're talking about anything other though, everything else is on the table when it comes to the Leafs. I'd be hesitant about Marner, but yeah, everything else.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Ottawa were to trade Karlsson we'd want a 2017 1st, a top 6 centre, a top 4 defenseman and a team's top prospect. Even then we'd have to think about it.

Reactions: Shackles9

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
William Nylander or Mitch Marner

+

1st 2017

+

1st 2018

+

Dermott

and if needed

+

Kapanen.

Huge package would essentially be all in, and rebuild Ottawa instantly.

Leafs chance a cup with Matthews and the other guy left. Maybe bring in Tavares in UFA with the money saved on Nylander/Marner.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
If Ottawa were to trade Karlsson we'd want a 2017 1st, a top 6 centre, a top 4 defenseman and a team's top prospect. Even then we'd have to think about it.

Tampa offers their first, Tyler Johnson (2C), Stralman(2D), Brett Howden(Arguably best prospect. Or Tyler Raddysh. Or both. Whatever.)

Let's sign the paperwork.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Karlsson is not available. Period. He is a once in a lifetime player, and still very young. You don't trade that.

Even if he were available, there cannot be anything off the table for a player like him. If there is, there is nothing to talk about.

He is ESPECIALLY off the table for Montreal and Toronto.

There's literally no other piece in the NHL worth a number 1D that puts up 70+ points a season that eats 30 minutes a night and is the best offensive contributor from the blue line other than McDavid. You could also make an argument for Matthews, but other than that, there's nothing really to offer. The Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews and the Oilers wouldn't trade McDavid. That would gut both of their C depth.

EDIT: If we're talking about anything other though, everything else is on the table when it comes to the Leafs. I'd be hesitant about Marner, but yeah, everything else.

Probably not what you meant, but McDavid isn't a Dman.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Karlsson is not available. Period. He is a once in a lifetime player, and still very young. You don't trade that.

Even if he were available, there cannot be anything off the table for a player like him. If there is, there is nothing to talk about.

He is ESPECIALLY off the table for Montreal and Toronto.

Probably not what you meant, but McDavid isn't a Dman.

No one is saying he is available. It's a valuation of him prior to his NTC kicking in.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The package they would ask for... oh man. That would cripple every team, just like losing Karlsson would decimate the structure of the Senators.

From my Jets, I would offer their choice of a defenseman, and their choice from our forwards excluding Scheifele, but if Trouba is taken, Laine is off the table as well. And that's just the base. Edmontom would not get by without losing Draisaitl and one of the Swedes from their blue line. Are you a Predators fans? Say goodbye to Josi and Johansen. Other Atlantic teams would simply not get him.

There is no fair deal that goes through. The rule of thumb - you must hate the deal for it to be acceptable.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Sens would need a #1 D and a #1 C back.

But either way its not happening. Karlsson won't leave because of the olympics. Melnyk isnt the only owner in the league who voted against them, he wouldnt be treated any better on any other team in the NHL.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
These are the type of deals that I would like:

Klingberg, Seguin, Nuke, and a 1st.

Ellis, Forsberg, Josi, and a 1st for Methot and Karlsson.

Hamilton, Gaudreau, Bennett, and a 1st.

Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Schmaltz, and 2 1st rounders.

Larsson, Klefbom, Draisaitl, Jones, and a 1st for Karlsson and Methot.

There is a lot more, just can't think right from the top of my head.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016

You would really want a 2017 1st in a year where the draft prospects are not a strong class at all?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

All of these are huge overkill, I understand it would take an overpayment but not to this degree...

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

These are all laughably bad for not Ottawa

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Players of Karlsson's ilk just aren't traded, won't happen. As cheap as Melnyk is, he'd pony up $11 million/season before entertaining the idea of moving the franchise guy. The fans would riot if he was moved for anything short of an insane return.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

If this is what it would take he will never be traded. I understand it would take a lot but these are all way over the top of what anyone would give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad