Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Extended Tavares and Hamonic?

That's an intriguing base for a deal, though I'd ask for Leddy, not Hamonic.

I'd overall prefer Karlsson over virtually any proposal, but if he indicates he'll move on, this is the sort of trade I look to.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That's an intriguing base for a deal, though I'd ask for Leddy, not Hamonic.

I'd overall prefer Karlsson over virtually any proposal, but if he indicates he'll move on, this is the sort of trade I look to.

If Karlsson leaves the Senators, it is likely because he wants to go somewhere he feels is more committed or closer to winning than Ottawa is. What are the odds Karlsson wants to play for NYI with their arena trouble, and with the team being in a similar bubble status to the one he'd be leaving?

So although I don't think a Karlsson for Tavares type of swap is a bad proposal in the right situation, I don't think it is realistic to expect Karlsson to want to extend in New York. In which case they end up in the exact same situation they were in with Tavares with the only difference being Karlsson has an extra year on his contract.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
So almost a year has passed, and while the signs were there last year, we all know there is now a tangible rift between Melnyk and Karlsson.

The return Karlsson could generate this time around could very well be less, based on a down season and a smaller trade market (his limited NTC has kicked in).

However, he is showing signs of returning to form after a season where he missed a summer of workouts as well as training camp in lieu of rehab. On top of that, interested teams will have more certainty that he could extend.

If he doesn't intend to return to Ottawa, what are the offers this time around? Higher or lower than last year's offers and why?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Yeah good luck afford a $12 million to $13 million per Erik Karlsson, Because that's easily what you're looking at.

No luck required. The Leafs have a ton of cap space.

The actual real life problem would be getting Ottawa to trade Erik Karlsson to Toronto. Seems to me that's a lot bigger obstacle.

Reactions: Iceman

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No luck required. The Leafs have a ton of cap space.

The actual real life problem would be getting Ottawa to trade Erik Karlsson to Toronto. Seems to me that's a lot bigger obstacle.
Matthews will get close to $11 million per more then likely and both Marner and Nylander close to Pastrnak money so i doubt they've ton of cap space when all is said that done plus bonus overage this summer as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Yeah good luck afford a $12 million to $13 million per Erik Karlsson, Because that's easily what you're looking at.
I don’t think he’ll easily get that. He’s not that good defensively and has half an ankle. Points wise he had a good year but does he really bring that much more? I think he’s more in the 9.5/10.5 a year range, max.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don’t think he’ll easily get that. He’s not that good defensively and has half an ankle. Points wise he had a good year but does he really bring that much more? I think he’s more in the 9.5/10.5 a year range, max.
Yeah a lot depends on the right team he might accept $10.5 million per for over 7 years if he feels that said team offer him the best chance at a cup.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah a lot depends on the right team he might accept $10.5 million per for over 7 years if he feels that said team offer him the best chance at a cup.

If he makes it to FA, I'd hope the Oilers could sell him on being in the middle between Draisaitl ($8.5M) and McDavid ($12.5M) cap-wise. He has a chance at being the next 100 point defenseman in Edmonton.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

You're kidding yourself if you don't think a team won't offer him more than the 9.5/10.5 you're referencing. A D of Karlsson's caliber almost never becomes available... my guess is teams will be lining up to offer him top dollar.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You're kidding yourself if you don't think a team won't offer him more than the 9.5/10.5 you're referencing. A D of Karlsson's caliber almost never becomes available... my guess is teams will be lining up to offer him top dollar.
I guess we will see right. A good defenceman that puts up points but isn’t all that good defensively with half an ankle.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
If he makes it to FA, I'd hope the Oilers could sell him on being in the middle between Draisaitl ($8.5M) and McDavid ($12.5M) cap-wise. He has a chance at being the next 100 point defenseman in Edmonton.

We wont be able to move enough pieces in time to afford him. Mr.NMC himself has thouroughly made sure we're f***ed in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad