Erie Otters 2015-16 Season Thread (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It looks to me like the Otters are playing like they want the season to end. They aren't blocking shots, hitting, or doing all the little things that made them do well in the regular season. It is extremely disappointing. London is playing very, very well. On to Niagara for the Knights.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yak looked pretty healthy in the box for a player beaten half to death according to some viewers. He knew what he was doing when he turtled. I am sure some Erie players were upset when they tripped over Yak's halo.:laugh: Smart move. Took out Betz one of Erie's premier pests and best body checkers. Some say McDonald means zip but he plays a big role for the Knights. Next game could be a good one. Don Cherry always says "Where's the hate"? I think these two teams found it.

Who said he was beaten half to death?
Beta took himself out of action. Selfish play that hurts his team.

If Betz is so tough he could have asked for a fight instead of jumping a player. Better yet, ask for that fight early in a game, not when you think game is over.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Who said he was beaten half to death?
Beta took himself out of action. Selfish play that hurts his team.

If Betz is so tough he could have asked for a fight instead of jumping a player. Better yet, ask for that fight early in a game, not when you think game is over.
ares I pointed out that Betz made a dumb move and said he hurt his team two or three times since the incident.. One London poster even had me cheering for Bertuzzi for his bonehead punch. Yak turtled as would most players being jumped but he was pretty feisty in the box yelling at the Erie players. For the fourth or fifth time I am not defending what Betz did. Yak has a rep of being one of the biggest pest in the league and has a mouth to go with it. Most fans would love him on their team but can't stand him on yours. What else do you want me to say. I wrote a book already about it and most was poking a bit of humour to the incident. If Heffernan was so tough why did he not grab Hall in the Ranger series? Same crap different pile.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Your right, Betz pulled the stupid move.
I don't see the Heff situations the same, you do. No biggie. One guy said OK, let's do this the other didn't.
I would compare it to DVO fighting Stanley from Windsor. And I had no problem with that.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well, we'll find out tonight if this team has any heart left. This series is not over yet, but they are on life support and need a huge effort to get back into it, especially with Betz sitting.

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
Your right, Betz pulled the stupid move.
I don't see the Heff situations the same, you do. No biggie. One guy said OK, let's do this the other didn't.
I would compare it to DVO fighting Stanley from Windsor. And I had no problem with that.

I'm going to disagree that it was a stupid or selfish move that Betz pulled. Given the situation with Yak and his reputation, the way Yak turtled then was ready to fight after his teammate had jumped on Betz, all the posturing and mouthing off from the safety of the penalty box, I believe the vast majority of the Otters appreciated Betz tuning up Yak, in fact, maybe a majority of the OHL players may have appreciated it. This could become a rallying cry for the Otters and may even turn around the series, which from the Otters point of view, is badly needed. Was the attack stupid and selfish or taking one for the team? Just another viewpoint, I'm a Steelheads fan, I have no skin in this series.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Well, we'll find out tonight if this team has any heart left. This series is not over yet, but they are on life support and need a huge effort to get back into it, especially with Betz sitting.

As are most fans, I'm surprised with how the games went in Erie. Not necessarily the Ws but how the games were played.
Erie isn't done yet but gotta crank up the Give.A.S... meter.
They've got the horses to make it happen, but as you said.
Nothing being taken for granted in London.
Good luck tonight and hopefully we see a great game

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm going to disagree that it was a stupid or selfish move that Betz pulled. Given the situation with Yak and his reputation, the way Yak turtled then was ready to fight after his teammate had jumped on Betz, all the posturing and mouthing off from the safety of the penalty box, I believe the vast majority of the Otters appreciated Betz tuning up Yak, in fact, maybe a majority of the OHL players may have appreciated it. This could become a rallying cry for the Otters and may even turn around the series, which from the Otters point of view, is badly needed. Was the attack stupid and selfish or taking one for the team? Just another viewpoint, I'm a Steelheads fan, I have no skin in this series.

Hunter is no dummy when it comes to playing games. He plans the game like a chess match. Get Betz out and the Knights have got rid of a huge physical threat that impacts the game. Makes sense.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hunter is no dummy when it comes to playing games. He plans the game like a chess match. Get Betz out and the Knights have got rid of a huge physical threat that impacts the game. Makes sense.

So now it was Hunter that got Yak to get Betz kicked out and suspended?
Maybe it was the Otters coach that sent him out to jump a guy? That's what hunter would do, right? No couldn't be, only Hunter does that stuff lol.

They are kids and prone to heat of the moment actions, heck NHL vets are as well. He snapped, it happens.

It very well may rally Erie jimyco. Something they need.
But I'm sure their coach would rather have him available to play games 3,4,5.
I still think if he wanted piece, wait til first 5/10 minutes of game three. Challenge him at home in front of his fans where he is less likely to turn down the offer, instead of turtling went sicker punched. Can't blame him.
And who wouldn't be pissed if after that happening?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe it was the Otters coach that sent him out to jump a guy? That's what hunter would do, right? No couldn't be, only Hunter does that stuff lol.

They are kids and prone to heat of the moment actions, heck NHL vets are as well. He snapped, it happens.

It doesn't make sense to get rid of Betz? Just saying. No one knows what Dale is thinking. He used Heff to spark his team when they were losing which was a smart move. I was just giving him some credit for being like a fox. If not then the Erie coached got burned for his plan.

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont

I still think if he wanted piece, wait til first 5/10 minutes of game three. Challenge him at home in front of his fans where he is less likely to turn down the offer, instead of turtling went sicker punched. Can't blame him.
And who wouldn't be pissed if after that happening?

Perhaps it would have been better to wait to the start of game three, however, I find a punch to the head, or multiple punches, much more understandable when done in the spur of the moment rather than in a calculated way.

Personally, I find turtling cowardly in all situations, you seem to believe it to be correct and defensible in this occurrence. I can't say you're wrong, it just differs from my prehistoric thinking.

I think Knoblach would rather have Betz take on Yak and be available for games 3,4,and 5 but that isn't what happened. It's a team game, next man up.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Perhaps it would have been better to wait to the start of game three, however, I find a punch to the head, or multiple punches, much more understandable when done in the spur of the moment rather than in a calculated way.

Personally, I find turtling cowardly in all situations, you seem to believe it to be correct and defensible in this occurrence. I can't say you're wrong, it just differs from my prehistoric thinking.

I think Knoblach would rather have Betz take on Yak and be available for games 3,4,and 5 but that isn't what happened. It's a team game, next man up.

Don't disagree with anything you wrote.
I'm just not going to judge a kid who turtled after getting sicker punched and jumped.
I like watching a good tussle, maybe a little less as I age and soften up lol.
Being Involved at times with 15-20 year olds as a trainer also softened me up :)

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
ares I pointed out that Betz made a dumb move and said he hurt his team two or three times since the incident.. One London poster even had me cheering for Bertuzzi for his bonehead punch. Yak turtled as would most players being jumped but he was pretty feisty in the box yelling at the Erie players. For the fourth or fifth time I am not defending what Betz did. Yak has a rep of being one of the biggest pest in the league and has a mouth to go with it. Most fans would love him on their team but can't stand him on yours. What else do you want me to say. I wrote a book already about it and most was poking a bit of humour to the incident. If Heffernan was so tough why did he not grab Hall in the Ranger series? Same crap different pile.

Discipline. why else, they are being instruct not to fight by who else ? "Dale" and is the one that knows when to hold them and when is the time to let them loose. What a coach ! ! - thumbs up Dale.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Discipline. why else, they are being instruct not to fight by who else ? "Dale" and is the one that knows when to hold them and when is the time to let them loose. What a coach ! ! - thumbs up Dale.

Good post. Personally I think Dale can out coach most in this league at any given time. I think he has done an excellent job on keeping his sandpaper guys under control so far in the play offs.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
There are so many non Erie posters in this thread, here I am cheering for London on the Erie thread. FFS....... Nothing here move on.......

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I can't decide if this series or the 2014 Guelph series is more of a let down.

And if Strome returns next season, strip him of the C. He has no composure whatsoever.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Obviously Erie is having a very disappointing series. Can you speak more to Strome's lack of composure? Coyotes fan wants to know.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I can't decide if this series or the 2014 Guelph series is more of a let down.

And if Strome returns next season, strip him of the C. He has no composure whatsoever.

From my neutral viewpoint last year should have been a bigger disappointment. This year and 2014 you were up against better teams imo.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Obviously Erie is having a very disappointing series. Can you speak more to Strome's lack of composure? Coyotes fan wants to know.

Strome has been visibly frustrated since the 2nd period of game 1. His entire OHL he has been on a top notch team with someone else to lean on in the tough times and he has not shown to be a leader in the face of adversity. As for a future in Glendale? absolutely. He has skill for days and can complement as good a player as you can put with him. He just seems to need to grow in the leadership role. He will be a fine player in the NHL, He wears the C in Erie because he is unquestionably their top player. If more though went into it, an A would probably be more appropriate, and give Either Maksimvovich or Dermott the C. Not a huge deal, he will have a great career and life will go on

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
From my neutral viewpoint last year should have been a bigger disappointment. This year and 2014 you were up against better teams imo.

All three years you mean? Oshawa won the Memorial Cup for a reason.

Honestly, this year is more disappointing simply by the (seemingly likely) sweep out of the playoffs. No one ever likes being swept, especially coming in the #1 seed and believing that the team wouldn't fall apart.

Total lack of composure the entire series, the inability to handle the puck, and Williams returning to his old ways killed us so far. Knights are literally in all of the right places, at every turn, every flip of the puck, every change of possession... They are deserving the wins they are getting, as much as I hate to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad