Erie Otters 2015-16 Season Thread (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
All three years you mean? Oshawa won the Memorial Cup for a reason.

Honestly, this year is more disappointing simply by the (seemingly likely) sweep out of the playoffs. No one ever likes being swept, especially coming in the #1 seed and believing that the team wouldn't fall apart.

Total lack of composure the entire series, the inability to handle the puck, and Williams returning to his old ways killed us so far. Knights are literally in all of the right places, at every turn, every flip of the puck, every change of possession... They are deserving the wins they are getting, as much as I hate to say it.

I'm still not convinced that last year Erie didn't have more talent than Oshawa. Oshawa was very good but I thought they were opportunistic and got much better goaltending. In 2014 and this year, I simply feel Guelph and London had a lot more depth and were on top of their respective games.

Your team this year was Strome and Debrincat. Williams played pretty good. Dermott was very good too. Frankly Marner and Dvorak are much more dangerous and their supporting cast is head and shoulders better. Right now they don't have one single player in their lineup that doesn't know exactly what their role is in any game and not executing it almost perfectly.

Overall this season I didn't feel there was close to a complete team in the OHL (Windsor 09, 10, Guelph 14, Oshawa Soo and Erie last year) until London began emerging in January. I actually thought Kitchener had a decent chance to win the OHL until then. But the outcome of that series and this series is not really surprising, although I thought London would lose a game in each.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I suppose in the big picture, that we should be thankful that the Otters did as well as they did. I am very disappointed in Strome. As far as London goes, they are a very good team. I do think that they will have a tough time with Niagara. They are peaking at the right time. They are a very, very deep team. On to rooting for the Pens!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I'm still not convinced that last year Erie didn't have more talent than Oshawa. Oshawa was very good but I thought they were opportunistic and got much better goaltending. In 2014 and this year, I simply feel Guelph and London had a lot more depth and were on top of their respective games.

Your team this year was Strome and Debrincat. Williams played pretty good. Dermott was very good too. Frankly Marner and Dvorak are much more dangerous and their supporting cast is head and shoulders better. Right now they don't have one single player in their lineup that doesn't know exactly what their role is in any game and not executing it almost perfectly.

Overall this season I didn't feel there was close to a complete team in the OHL (Windsor 09, 10, Guelph 14, Oshawa Soo and Erie last year) until London began emerging in January. I actually thought Kitchener had a decent chance to win the OHL until then. But the outcome of that series and this series is not really surprising, although I thought London would lose a game in each.

Congrats to Erie this season not over yet.as for your comment you maybe right,but Oshawa played as a team and think they had a better goalie in Appleby, and when McDavid was on the ice they were an great line.but when he wasn't they were a good team similar to this year's.
Just my opinion.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I suppose in the big picture, that we should be thankful that the Otters did as well as they did. I am very disappointed in Strome. As far as London goes, they are a very good team. I do think that they will have a tough time with Niagara. They are peaking at the right time. They are a very, very deep team. On to rooting for the Pens!

I admittedly am not that familiar with most of Niagara. My opinion of them is they have a few blue chippers that underachieved most of the season. Ned is probably the best goalie in the league. I really don't view them as any better than Sarnia but better goaltending. I don't think they have enough to give London a decent run.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
When it comes right down to it, the season as a whole REALLY isn't that disappointing, especially when you look at the expectations coming into it. This SERIES on the other hand....

Think about it, it SEEMS as if Strome "showed up" a little more than last years playoff series. Hopefully they learn something from this year.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
When it comes right down to it, the season as a whole REALLY isn't that disappointing, especially when you look at the expectations coming into it. This SERIES on the other hand....

Think about it, it SEEMS as if Strome "showed up" a little more than last years playoff series. Hopefully they learn something from this year.

I think Strome has definitely played better overall than last playoff season...but he does seem to be melting down.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
All three years you mean? Oshawa won the Memorial Cup for a reason.

Oshawa didn't exactly blow the doors off the competition in the Memorial Cup--they won four games by one goal, including two in overtime. A couple different bounces and they're the 2012 London Knights. Do you really think 2015 Oshawa would beat 2014 Guelph in a seven-game series? I don't.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Oshawa didn't exactly blow the doors off the competition in the Memorial Cup--they won four games by one goal, including two in overtime. A couple different bounces and they're the 2012 London Knights. Do you really think 2015 Oshawa would beat 2014 Guelph in a seven-game series? I don't.

No they didn't blow the doors off, but good teams find a way to win and the Gen's did that.There is a lot of what ifs in winning the memorial cup for any team. A bounce here a bounce there, all I know is that the Generals were 2015 memorial Cup winners nobody remembers who came 2nd :laugh:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Yes I do ! North Bay almost nocked off Guelph in the Final. Last year's Generals' team was much more complete and powerfu than N B was two years ago.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
No they didn't blow the doors off, but good teams find a way to win and the Gen's did that.There is a lot of what ifs in winning the memorial cup for any team. A bounce here a bounce there, all I know is that the Generals were 2015 memorial Cup winners nobody remembers who came 2nd :laugh:

Kelowna was the team Oshawa beat in the final 2 to 1 in overtime

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
I admittedly am not that familiar with most of Niagara. My opinion of them is they have a few blue chippers that underachieved most of the season. Ned is probably the best goalie in the league. I really don't view them as any better than Sarnia but better goaltending. I don't think they have enough to give London a decent run.

Ned hasn't faced true firepower in this playoff yet. Niagara hasn't had to deal with speed in this playoff yet. I agree they have underachieved this year. Gonna be a good series. Williamson will have them better prepared than Knoblock has done!
I almost felt sorry for him listening to him in the post game. He struggled to answer questions. Seem lost. But then i remembered this Erie team with McNextone, and my feeling was gone.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Ned hasn't faced true firepower in this playoff yet. Niagara hasn't had to deal with speed in this playoff yet. I agree they have underachieved this year. Gonna be a good series. Williamson will have them better prepared than Knoblock has done!
I almost felt sorry for him listening to him in the post game. He struggled to answer questions. Seem lost. But then i remembered this Erie team with McNextone, and my feeling was gone.

Kingston and Barrie have fire power and Barrie has some speed.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013

It really isn't about Knoblauch not having them prepared, at all, actually.

The Knights have skill, speed, and are peaking at the right time. The Otters have both skill and speed, but are young and keep making mistake after mistake in this series, and the Knights are making us pay.

Knoblauch isn't making bad passes, he isn't the one fumbling the puck, he isn't the one dropping down too low/quickly in net. The players haven't stepped up, and that's either an effect of being young, being outplayed, or having nerves, but it sure as hell isn't Knoblauch's fault. He is "at a loss" because at this point what do you want him to do? Start throwing players under the bus for not being effective or making mistakes?

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
It really isn't about Knoblauch not having them prepared, at all, actually.

The Knights have skill, speed, and are peaking at the right time. The Otters have both skill and speed, but are young and keep making mistake after mistake in this series, and the Knights are making us pay.

Knoblauch isn't making bad passes, he isn't the one fumbling the puck, he isn't the one dropping down too low/quickly in net. The players haven't stepped up, and that's either an effect of being young, being outplayed, or having nerves, but it sure as hell isn't Knoblauch's fault. He is "at a loss" because at this point what do you want him to do? Start throwing players under the bus for not being effective or making mistakes?

I like Knoblauch. Thanks for the correct spelling. Good coach. I have been watching the Otters for years under him. The last two years I watched the Otters pick apart and exploit other teams weaknesses. I attribute that to preparedness and good coaching. The WCF last year he beat a better team in the Soo IMO. Out coached. out coached Hunter how many times. So....needless to say, I am perplexed this series at the lack of push from the Otters. I expected more, and Knoblauch seemed just as perplexed in the interview.

Last edited:

JSavoire

May 28, 2011

I'm the kind of person that NEVER ever writes off any team at this stage of the game especially. Erie is a very capable team and I suspect Knights Staff and players are WELL aware of that and Staff are hammering that home all day today. You can't give a team like Erie any light or this could become a series again overnight. But we all know how finishing off teams in that final game is the hardest to do so Knights will have to probably play their best game of the Playoffs tonight to secure the win. Tall order!

As for Niagara, the may well have the best goalie but they do NOT have the depth London has...although that's no guaranty but is a notable advantage.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Throwing players under the bus is Steve Spott's job. On the other hand having them ride under the bus is Bill Stewart's .:D

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
NO handshakes tonight
i am thinking the Otters will
show some pride and take a 3-2 win
to spoil the sweep and have one more game at The E I A .

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
NO handshakes tonight
i am thinking the Otters will
show some pride and take a 3-2 win
to spoil the sweep and have one more game at The E I A .

As much as I'd like to see the Otters take it back to EIA I think there's now way they win game 4. London is just better in every facet of the game. First to pucks, quicker, more skilled, and way better D, this is also all without Max Jones as well. There were times where Erie couldn't even get it past center ice for a little bit of time. Erie's D isn't championship calibre, and they get absolutely dominated when London's top 2 lines are on the ice. I say London 6-2.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I like Knoblauch. Thanks for the correct spelling. Good coach. I have been watching the Otters for years under him. The last two years I watched the Otters pick apart and exploit other teams weaknesses. I attribute that to preparedness and good coaching. The WCF last year he beat a better team in the Soo IMO. Out coached. out coached Hunter how many times. So....needless to say, I am perplexed this series at the lack of push from the Otters. I expected more, and Knoblauch seemed just as perplexed in the interview.

The coach can do so much,you also need the players that can preform the task that the coach has in place.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
This hounds fan who appreciates good clean hockey feels for you guys. Maybe next year we can have another great series together -although I would prefer a different resulr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille