Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'd extend 2 or 3 years and hope for around 6m. Who knows, maybe Staal will take a discount to stay with Minnesota.
I think we got our discount now. I'm actually a little bit a afraid of the contract Fletcher would offer to Staal. The Pominville Special. Now 23% more buy out proof.

Reactions: NugarifiK

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Staal is going to turn 35 early in his first extension year.

Assuming next year he is comparable to what he has done the last 2, say, ~30g and ~65-70 pts:

2 x $7m to $7.5m
3 x $5.5m to $6m

But even still, I'd think about waiting until after next season, or after the halfway mark of next season, unless I could get a favorable rate this summer.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Staal is going to turn 35 early in his first extension year.

Assuming next year he is comparable to what he has done the last 2, say, ~30g and ~65-70 pts:

2 x $7m to $7.5m
3 x $5.5m to $6m

But even still, I'd think about waiting until after next season, or after the halfway mark of next season, unless I could get a favorable rate this summer.
Agreed. I think Staal will be pretty amenable to extending, but there's no rush to do it this offseason unless he's willing to do 2x$5 (or whatever) right away. I don't think he's going to shake us down for a 5 year deal at the end of his current contract either way.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Staal re-signs for current salary, then buys Spurgeon's house. Ennis signs tenant contract equal in length to Staal's contract, paying 3m/year in rent. Spurgeon's rent is waived as his bottled water opening constitutes maintenance services. Foligno shows up to do laundry like who I presume is Ron Schara's son in that Kinetico commercial.

Reactions: tomgilbertfan

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I may be in the minority here but I am hesitant to re up on Staal before we see next year play out. I'm just looking into the future and we could have both Ek and Koivu signed, Kunin completing his second professional season where we will know a lot more about where his future position is as well as Greenway and Sokolov having just completed their first full professional seasons getting ready to gear up for their second. I could see potentially us not needing a 35 year old Staal. I think it would be prudent for the Wild to try to be in a position where they don't need Staal because of the aging Koivu still signed. Now I know some of you will say that it is highly unlikely that in two years we would be able to ice a center depth of something like

Ek
Kunin/Greenway/Sokolov
Koivu
x/Greenway/Sokolov

but I don't think it's any less plausible than a 35 year old Staal failing to produce at a 5.5-7.5 million cap hit for 2-4 years as I've seen thrown around.

Just playing devils advocate... I love you Staal please don't even think about slowing down right now thank you.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
less term, more per year. Maybe matching Mikko, and that's hoping that he goes for a hometown discount. Depends on how he does next year, of course. sooner or later those legs will give out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal will finish this season with around 1100 GP under his belt. If all goes well, he should be good for about another 3 years, which would take him up to around 1400 GP. That would put him up in around the top 50 or so for GP all time. So you'd have to factor in a decline at some point...players don't usually quit for no reason.

He has made a lot of money, and seems to be happy here. Maybe sign a 2/11M contract (Matching Mikko's out of respect)? I think he can get more on the open market, but would hate to move again, and like i said, he has made a lot of money in CAR. The extra 3-4M he might get from another team....is it really worth it to move for that?

Maybe Suter can share the spotlight in the Kwiktrip adds, giving him some more cash/free gas?

Reactions: FVM and Bazeek

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think we got our discount now. I'm actually a little bit a afraid of the contract Fletcher would offer to Staal. The Pominville Special. Now 23% more buy out proof.

I agree. In this instance, we got a player on a great discount, and he'll be 35 by that season. I don't think giving him a big raise is likely to turn out well for the Wild. He's had a great renaissance here, but it won't continue forever. I think this season is probably going to be the best one Staal ever has outside of Carolina. Of course, doing an extension for him would also mean we'd have two expensive centers at age 35+. I can't recall many good teams that have had that sort of a center composition.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yes you are right Sokolov is a wing... Don't know why I had it in my mind that he was a center. Oh well I think my point still stands pretty good. Sokolov is by far the most developmental of the players I talked about, he could still need some seasoning in the Ahl that second year anyway.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, we have time to wait. Lots of things can happen between now and the summer of 2019. I would bet that Staal wants to stay here, but the Wild can't sign him if it causes them to lose a good young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille