Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The article was more about the team than Staal. Not really much content about him and his expectations.

I'm on the fence about him overall until I see him play with the team. Guessing a low of 40p, high of 70p (if healthy). 20g/30a (50p) he'll be a real bargain.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think he will surprise people. Most have completely written him off after his stint in NY. Playing C with Coyle and Parise should be a huge boost, those are two guys who win battles and can score. I expect 50 pts and for him to be considered by Vegas if he does well enough. They will need proven top 6 Fs, the D available to them looks more promusing.

I see our F lines as being three pairs

Parise-Staal (Coyle)
Granlund-Koivu (Zucker/Tuch/Stewart)
Nino-Haula (Pominville)

Sounds like Coyle is slotted with Staal and Parise and Pominville should be back with Haula/Nino where he was at his best. I'd like to see Nino move "up" but having 3 two-way lines that can score is going to be big.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I doubt he's anything more than an ok third liner. 30-40 points with an outside chance at 50. It's not just his time in ny, he was pretty mediocre his last year and a half in Carolina too.

But, his value is in allowing granlund in coyle to be wingers. If staal doesn't completely suck and one of those two has a good year it'll work out well

Lmao at being considered for Vegas though. C'mon

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
I think he's a bit of a wild card. Wouldn't be surprised if he is rejuvenated by the new team and Boudreau and scores 60 pts or if he is over the hill and scores 20. Hey, here's hopin'.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I doubt he's anything more than an ok third liner. 30-40 points with an outside chance at 50. It's not just his time in ny, he was pretty mediocre his last year and a half in Carolina too.

But, his value is in allowing granlund in coyle to be wingers. If staal doesn't completely suck and one of those two has a good year it'll work out well

Lmao at being considered for Vegas though. C'mon

He had 40 pts last year playing with scrubs in Carolina and on the W in NY. He should have no issues getting at least that many here.

Vegas likely takes Brodin/Scandella but if Staal is on a 55 pt pace he will get a look. They should have plenty of good dmen available to them, guys like Bouwmeester/Orlov etc. Finding bonafide top 6 Fs will be more difficult.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
He had 40 pts last year playing with scrubs in Carolina and on the W in NY. He should have no issues getting at least that many here.

Vegas likely takes Brodin/Scandella but if Staal is on a 55 pt pace he will get a look. They should have plenty of good dmen available to them, guys like Bouwmeester/Orlov etc. Finding bonafide top 6 Fs will be more difficult.

Guys typically don't increase their point totals by coming here. Worth mentioning his scoring pace dropped a bit in his 20 games in ny. We have more depth than Carolina but I don't think our top end forwards are that much better than theirs. Parise is the only clear upgrade and i don't expect them to play together a ton. Maybe 25% of even strength toi. He'll likely have easier matchups, and along with that less than his 19:17 toi. I expect those to more or less cancel each other in regards to points. Since he's been declining since the 2013 knee injury (a significant difference from a standard player on decline), I really don't see any reason to believe he'll be better other than dumb luck

I'd be shocked if Vegas took him off anything other than an amazing bounce back year. Like 65 points amazing. Maybe their gm is really susceptible to recency bias, but that's about the only chance I see even if he hits 55.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Guys typically don't increase their point totals by coming here. Worth mentioning his scoring pace dropped a bit in his 20 games in ny. We have more depth than Carolina but I don't think our top end forwards are that much better than theirs. Parise is the only clear upgrade and i don't expect them to play together a ton. Maybe 25% of even strength toi. He'll likely have easier matchups, and along with that less than his 19:17 toi. I expect those to more or less cancel each other in regards to points. Since he's been declining since the 2013 knee injury (a significant difference from a standard player on decline), I really don't see any reason to believe he'll be better other than dumb luck

I'd be shocked if Vegas took him off anything other than an amazing bounce back year. Like 65 points amazing. Maybe their gm is really susceptible to recency bias, but that's about the only chance I see even if he hits 55.

Our Fs are much better than Carolinas in every way. And the "guys don't improve here" angle, though historically accurate, is thrown out the window with Boudreau. Also, I don't give any credence to his time in NY, he was playing LW on 3rd line. His most common linemates in Carolina were Nestrasil and maybe his brother. Here he will have two defensive lines taking the hard assignments (Haula and Koivu lines) and be given a lot of offensive zone starts...this is obvious with two shutdown Cs behind him in the lineup. Also, Boudreau has come out and said flat out that Staal will be with Coyle and Parise to start the year. It's possible they change but it sure sounds like they plan on putting him with Parise.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Parise/Staal/Coyle line is penciled in to start the season. But with the possible short camp do to the WCH the lines might not have much practice together.

The worst thing for the Wild would be a Finland/US finals that goes 3 games. Granny, Haula, Koivu, Parise, Suter would only get 2 preseason games, and 10-12 days total of practices. Ideally for the Wild both teams don't even qualify for the semis and get almost the full preseason.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Parise/Staal/Coyle line is penciled in to start the season. But with the possible short camp do to the WCH the lines might not have much practice together.

The worst thing for the Wild would be a Finland/US finals that goes 3 games. Granny, Haula, Koivu, Parise, Suter would only get 2 preseason games, and 10-12 days total of practices. Ideally for the Wild both teams don't even qualify for the semis and get almost the full preseason.

Those guys don't get very many preseason games anyway. Plus it gives Boudreau to get a better look at Tuch and Eriksson Ek.

Last edited:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Our Fs are much better than Carolinas in every way. And the "guys don't improve here" angle, though historically accurate, is thrown out the window with Boudreau. Also, I don't give any credence to his time in NY, he was playing LW on 3rd line. His most common linemates in Carolina were Nestrasil and maybe his brother. Here he will have two defensive lines taking the hard assignments (Haula and Koivu lines) and be given a lot of offensive zone starts...this is obvious with two shutdown Cs behind him in the lineup. Also, Boudreau has come out and said flat out that Staal will be with Coyle and Parise to start the year. It's possible they change but it sure sounds like they plan on putting him with Parise.
I figured he played more with skinner than he actually did. Lindholm and versteeg were his most common linemates last year, so yeah you're right on the linemates
Front. I expect our lines to change like always. They'll start together but if it doesn't work for a while they change. And yeah, probably change back again. unfortunately parise missing time is pretty likely as well.
Minnesota is where offense goes to die until proven otherwise.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been really hard on Fletcher for the Staal acquisition, because I am not crazy about picking up a player (s) who's best days are far behind them. I think the Wild need to reload this year, and forget about being Cup contenders till 2018 at the earliest. Why? Because we're not going to get there with Staal this year anyway.

A part of me is hoping that I am completely wrong and Staal puts up 60pts.

I can easily see a scenario where Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Staal, and Suter miss significant time due to age related injuries in the next year or two. Age and injuries go together.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I can easily see a scenario where Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Staal, and Suter miss significant time due to age related injuries in the next year or two. Age and injuries go together.

I could see this too, but all of them except for Parise have been pretty healthy over their careers. So that is worth something. I could realistically see Parise, Spurgeon, and Kuemper missing a couple weeks each.

If their are a bunch of injuries, hope they are early in the season and they go on the IR. Opens up some cap space for a TDL rental (Kane injury a couple years ago).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I think you're completely over-estimating the quality of Centers that will be exposed in the expansion draft. It's the one position that's going to be bare bones, because once teams have them they don't let them go.

If Staal hits 40 points, getting paid 3.5 million dollars he will very likely be one of the 3 best available centers, and at a a good price point. He would make an attractive stop gap for them, and probably first captain

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think you're completely over-estimating the quality of Centers that will be exposed in the expansion draft. It's the one position that's going to be bare bones, because once teams have them they don't let them go.

If Staal hits 40 points, getting paid 3.5 million dollars he will very likely be one of the 3 best available centers, and at a a good price point. He would make an attractive stop gap for them, and probably first captain

This is why I think the Wild might consider dangling Granny in the expansion draft. Nino is going to get $4.5-$5m/yr (He's the first RFA I'd be working on long term contract). If Haula has a solid year as a low 2C, high 3C he'll get $2.5-$3m contract. Staal will either have a great year (and we'll protect him), or a bad year (won't get picked anyways).

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

Nah, I just think the gap between our available dman and him is larger than 3-4 other comparable gaps. Staal can be the best available center for all I care but he won't be way better than anyone else. I figure Vegas takes a best player available approach as much as possible. They'll end up taking worse players that are forwards vs a dman who is better because they have to. But, I think they'll have better options than here. Vegas shouldn't care about short term cap hits at all. If they do, good for us. I'm not betting on incompetence though.

Granlund would be a different story. Unless he blows this year, Vegas takes him due to the forward scarcity

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Prepare to be disappointed. We will know by camp. The only older players that "bounce-back" from two years of substantial decline are major competitors and work-out freaks. Especially bigger players who slow down quickly.

Maybe Staal has had a mindset change. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Prepare to be disappointed. We will know by camp. The only older players that "bounce-back" from two years of substantial decline are major competitors and work-out freaks. Especially bigger players who slow down quickly.

Maybe Staal has had a mindset change. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Everybody thought the Same thing about Koivu. He had a pretty good year last year.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
my prediction for Staal in 2016-2017 season

17 Goals, 29 Assists = 46 points

Would put in him the top 5 on the Wild in scoring last year.

I'm not expecting a huge rebound from last year's decline, but I think he will be better.

If he can end the season anywhere near 20g/30A-50pts, then it is a WIN for the Wild easily.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Seems odd that he is the only guy from his draft class that is considered washed up. Too much tread gone from the tires or really needed a change? I don't see why he can't rebound to 60 points getting #1 ice time again.

Maybe i'm an optimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad