Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want to say I remember someone (Brian Lawton?) talking about how Staal acknowledged that he'd let his conditioning slip during his later seasons in Carolina, and a big part of his preparation before coming to the Wild was to get that back on track. Especially his legs and lower body.

I don't know how far that pushes out the inevitable cliff, but if he continues to stay on top of the conditioning he might have quite a long career. This is another place where maintaining a "winning environment" can pay dividends.
Lawton is an asshole. Discount most of what he says.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
On the topic of re-signing Staal.

Staal's been great, and all the goals he's scored certainly count and have been huge. But it would be terrible business to resign a 33 year old career 11% shooter after a season in which he shot 19%. He's only got 1 other season in his career over 13.5%. Given you've got the time, use it. Start discussing contract next Dec/Jan.

We're still loving Staal if he's shooting his career average and is at 20 g - 30 assists. But we're not talking about giving him 6 or 7 million.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Imagine them w/o Staal? Amazing. Who knew we were signing our best player we they took a chance on him.

No kidding. I remember me telling my friends that the only good thing coming from that signing was that it would move Granville to the wing permanently and didn't expect anything else from him. I've been happily eating crow and chewing on my foot for the past season and a half!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Staal's been great, and all the goals he's scored certainly count and have been huge. But it would be terrible business to resign a 33 year old career 11% shooter after a season in which he shot 19%. He's only got 1 other season in his career over 13.5%. Given you've got the time, use it. Start discussing contract next Dec/Jan.

We're still loving Staal if he's shooting his career average and is at 20 g - 30 assists. But we're not talking about giving him 6 or 7 million.

True. I'm open to it this summer if the numbers make sense (aka it's favorable to us). If not, let it play out. I don't think much would change unless he cracks 100 points next year or something.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I remember hearing something similar during the 1st training camp with Staal.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

With a track record like Staal's another 20g/30a would get $6m/yr easily on the open market, especially if it's a short term deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
With a track record like Staal's another 20g/30a would get $6m/yr easily on the open market, especially if it's a short term deal.

I think he could touch 6, but it would depend a heck of a lot on what kind of Term he got.

I think he'd be around what Koivu got give or take depending on term. If he goes PPG, who knows what the ask could be with term.

So the point remains.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Everyone knows that sequels are better
Word. When it's kind of familiar already, and you know you're getting more good stuff without extra tension. Just relax..

Terminator 2
Police Academy 3
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
American Pie 2
Lethal Weapon 2
The Naked Gun 2 1/2
Mad Max: Fury Road...

E: Before Sunset

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I was at the game tonight. Thought for sure he was going to get the Hatty a couple times and my brother in law was going to chuck my hat on the ice. Glad he didn't.

But Staal was just a threat tonight. Getting close to Gaborik's season goal record now.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Almost had one too. I get that if you're up by x amount of goals they wont give you a call unless its egregious but that hook he took was pretty blatant.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
He's already got the most goals in a regular season for any Wild player not named Marian Gaborik. I think the next highest finishes were Rolston with 34 goals in one of his seasons and Parise with 33 goals a few years ago.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
I think he breaks the single season goal record, every time he has the puck he’s dangerous. It’s so refreshing.

One thing I haven’t seen talked about much is that he has a very real chance of breaking the single season point mark for a wild player. Gabby set that with 83, he needs 16 to tie that and with his play I think he does.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
So is he staying here to retire, or?

His home is on the border, right up in Thunder Bay as most of you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->